Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 4 May 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2021
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

disabilities and access in Disney

Hi,

I have fibromyalgia and have booked Disney feb 2020 with my husband and daughter. We're staying port Orleans riverside royal guest room and virgin have advised they can get me a scooter all 2 week inc delivery and pick up for 250 quid. I know Disney is 50 quid a day so is definitely cheaper but how easy is it to get a motorised scooter on the Disney transport system as it'll need to stay in our room.

Thanks
Disney2021 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The buses are great. My son has a manual chair but we've watched many people get motorised scooters on the buses. The drivers are very patient and used to helping people who aren't used to parking on a bus.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2021
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks. I only use them for days in parks or zoos and either walk unaided or with crutches for shorter distances all depending on the event. My condition is so fluctuation dependant. I presume the boat to Disney springs is it off the question with it but would be ok if I used crutches? I want a scooter rather than chair as don't wasn't my husband to have to push me and look after our 6 year old at same time
Disney2021 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don't think you can take them on the boats, but I could be wrong. Crutches are fine.
If you need to sit for parades they have a wheel chair viewing area you have to get there early though as they get full.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneysid
Getting Excited

Mobile

Disney2021 have Virgin told you what size or style of scooter that price is for? There are several types with different weight limits and features. Have they mentioned which company it would be from or what the specific drop off and collection rules are? Some companies will come to the resort to suit you, others have specific slots for each hotel.

I have fibromyalgia too and have been renting a scooter for our WDW trips since 2013, it makes a huge difference. You can take a scooter on the boats, both to Disney Springs and to the Parks and resorts, but it can depend on which boat is in use so you may have to wait. Disney Springs is huge so you would definitely benefit from taking a scooter if you use one for distance.
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I'm fairly sure you can take them on the boats to Disney Springs. As others have said it can take awhile for a boat with facilities to arrive but they do have them and boats are fairly frequent. Disney Springs is too big to do without the scooter I feel. My sister has hip issues and like you only needed the scooter really for parks but we went to Disney Springs without it and she really struggled so we now take it with us.
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney2021 View Post
Hi,

I have fibromyalgia and have booked Disney feb 2020 with my husband and daughter. We're staying port Orleans riverside royal guest room and virgin have advised they can get me a scooter all 2 week inc delivery and pick up for 250 quid. I know Disney is 50 quid a day so is definitely cheaper but how easy is it to get a motorised scooter on the Disney transport system as it'll need to stay in our room.

Thanks
Do you use a scooter at home at all? If so have you considered taking your own which the airline will take free of charge and saving yourself the hire fee?
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

the Disney buses are brilliant and very accessible, the monorails and boats are very accessible too.. I have severe asthma and cant walk long distance so I use a scooter on the days the heat hits my chest and I have no complaints as to accessibility.

I always bring my own with me as apose to hiring one, the only thing I didn't like is that they make you carry the battery onboard with you and It is heavy other than that no complaints at all x
Old 9 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
SupersleuthTed
Excited about Disney

Last time we flew virgin PE we didn’t need to take our battery onboard but that was in 2018 so maybe it’s changed now?
But agreed take ur own as it saves a fortune in hire costs and you know ur own scooter.
Old 17 Sep 20, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
owensy
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by SupersleuthTed View Post
Last time we flew virgin PE we didn’t need to take our battery onboard but that was in 2018 so maybe it’s changed now?
But agreed take ur own as it saves a fortune in hire costs and you know ur own scooter.
It depends on the type of battery your scooter is using. Dry cell/Lithium/Wet Cell. Usually Lithium batteries have to be carried in the cabin.
owensy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List