Notices

Old 23 Sep 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Covid 2020 Trip To Venice .

A mini trip report for our covid Trip to Venice.
It was mr mexy's 50th in July so last December it was decided we would go to Venice in September to celebrate as it was a place he had always wanted to go . Then covid happened . ☹️
Anyway our family holiday to Sicily was cancelled , mr mexys birthday didn't get the celebrations it deserved and Venice clung on with its fingernails.
I didn't plan anything as I had every expectation it wouldn't happen the closer we got especially as more and more countries got added to the quarantine lists.
Anyway 2 days before we reckoned we better get organised just in case . So out came the keyboard and a few tippy taps later we had euros, hands free with easyJet and bus passes for the airport and vaperettos booked with free cancellation 24 hrs before . Next job Sending mr mexy up the loft for the cabin cases .
We had 3 nights booked at an Airbnb in Mestre and our host had been fabulous with all the changes in both countries.
So up at 7am for travel day to Manchester airport . Medical masks bought as face coverings are not sufficient for Italy regulations on air travel . Everything checked and bagged so we had minimal contact at security . It was so strange walking through a very deserted airport and grass has started to grow over the unused car parks . We we're also the only plane on the runway .

Medical masks to be worn throughout the flight .

Clear runway

Empty car parks

The alps

So just over 2 hrs and we were at Marco Polo airport . Temperature checks are done before you enter the airport . Absolutely no idea why we aren't doing this . A heat sensing camera and iPad as we filtered past . Social distancing was really good on the flight and the Italian crew excellent, wish I could say the same for return flight !

We left the airport and boarded to atvo bus to Mestre direct €26 return booked online whilst waiting at Manchester airport . Masks are compulsory on all public transport no exceptions and we didn't see one person without on or having to be asked except the odd tourist who had forgot to put it on but they couldn't board until they had . Our airbnb was a 10 minute walk from the bus station. Beautiful room and a shared kitchen with 2 other couples . Again masks worn at all times inside except your own room . The bus stop was 5 mins away and was €1.50 to Venice but we bought the €40 pass which was well worth every penny .

As we had arrived in the afternoon. We headed into Venice . This was Our first view of Venice , we both fell in love immediately.

Crystal clear waters

Lunch view 😍 we decided on pizza and a drink for €3 as we just wanted to soak some of it up .

Round Another corner

A very quiet Grand canal

A quiet Rialto

Mask modelling on the vaporetti. Compulsory.

So day 2 and we had always decided to wing it . We had no plan as we just didn't know what to expect at all. So day 2 became a trip to Doge's palace and st marks .

Gondolas just parked up at 12:30pm.

Bridge of sighs with a lonely gondola.

We walked straight into Doge's . No queue at all at 1pm on a Sunday afternoon.

St marks Sunday afternoon with high tide .

So when in Venice it has to be done 😀 we couldn't share as there was no one to share with and haggling just seemed wrong in the current climate .

Going down the grand canal. As we were on our own when we went down the smaller camels our gondolier serenaded us. It's was so quiet it's was beautiful. Any local passing stopped to listen . It was such a lovely moment . We tipped him well as we did everyone who served us takeaway or sit down .

Had to be done €2.50

Lunch was 2 large pizzas and drinks included for €11, service charge included .

Back into st marks with a quick shower , still 26 degrees though

Still quiet on the Rialto

The next day another bus journey in and another wander . Again no plan .

Just us and the pigeons

High tide flood at Rialto

Bonkers what they can get on barges

We decided we would head to st marks again as it was even quieter now as a lot of people and locals who had come out for the weekend had gone

We decided we do do the campanile. You could only get in the lift for €10 pp and maximum of 4 at a time .

Fabulous views at 6pm

Next stop dinner . 3 courses with half bottle of wine and beer €77 for the two of us sat right on the water front at Rialto

9pm on the grand canal. Like a millpond with no boats .

The next day was travel day home but not until the evening so we checked out and hopped on the bus to Venice . We left our cases in bag store ( many weren't open due to covid so we didn't pre book) .€14 for 2 cases all day. And the we checke day atvo that we could take the airport bus from Venice rather than go back to Mestre which we could . So off we walked again . We decided
On a quick trip across to murano . So quiet and every shop empty with very few visitors .

Some amazing pieces like this glass spiders web. We decided to take the longer route boat back past the cemetery. A funeral boat passed us which was very moving and very sad . They're are memorial posters scattered all around Venice with the funeral details for the coming week ☹️

The hospital. Ambulances were whizzing round all weekend .

Back for lunch by the riverside before heading for the airport .€13

DHL boat

We had an hr to kill so just sat on the grand canal bank taking it all in .

Beautiful taxis

Our final goodbye .

Goodbye Venice , we loved you and hope to revisit. I think judging by our rate Italy may lock us out .security at the airport excellent again and temp checks and boarding passes shown before you were allowed in the terminal .
The flight back was a complete shambles . Uk crew who got the previous passengers off and us on within 25 minutes . No cabin clean and debris left from the other passengers . The seats were still warm 😳 . The loading was a shambles with no order and people just blocking isles although it was specific it would be row but row as it was on the way out with the Italian crew . No enforcement of masks and the immigration involved a bloke barking have to hit your locator form which all he was interested in was the date . It could have said Mickey Mouse 😳 and we sit back and wonder why our rate is rising 🤔 not hard to see exactly why.
Apart from the flight home the whole experience was perfect and we are so glad we braved it. It was super clean , crystal clear water and cheap. How you enjoyed reading 😀

Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Mexy02 - 23 Sep 20 11:43 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I really enjoyed your mini report, brought back great memories of our trip although it was far busier when we went 😀 . We loved Doges Palace and Murano too, and went up the Campanile 😂 I loved the Aperol Spritz when we were there and sitting by the canal in the evening drinking one (or several 😉 ) watching the busy canal, so it seems odd to see the empty canal in your photos 😔

I’m pleased you felt safe there, I think the UK could learn a lot from how other countries have handled the pandemic if they listened to advice 😔 I’m so sorry your return flight was not as safe as the rest of the trip though.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Fabulous photos. It’s great to see someone actually getting away on a holiday ! Glad you had a good time. Can’t believe how quiet Venice looks !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Oh thank you so much for an excellent trippy. I love Venice so much & have been so many times. I'm lucky that my girl friend is Venetian & has an apartment a train ride away. Tho we always stay in Venice itself, just love the buzz n bustle. Love waking up to the sounds of all the church bells on a Sunday. Must be so different there at the moment. So glad you had a wonderful time & so sorry the flight back was so bad!
Your lovely memories will take you back again & again I'm sure.
Old 24 Sep 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Oh thank you so much for an excellent trippy. I love Venice so much & have been so many times. I'm lucky that my girl friend is Venetian & has an apartment a train ride away. Tho we always stay in Venice itself, just love the buzz n bustle. Love waking up to the sounds of all the church bells on a Sunday. Must be so different there at the moment. So glad you had a wonderful time & so sorry the flight back was so bad!
Your lovely memories will take you back again & again I'm sure.
It’s strange as everyone wants to welcome you but they darent if you get me ? I fell in love as soon as we turned the corner at the Piazzale Roma. We didn’t know what to expect so played it safe staying on the mainland but when we return we want to stay in Venice .
The canals were stunning but we have nothing to compare it to so we reckon speaking to others we have been extremely lucky and the weather was just perfect . Our chest grow. Up holiday post kids and what a place to spend it in 😍😍😍
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Next time your thinking of going check out Hotel Bucintoro. Perfect situation, short walk over a bridge from the airport vaporretto stop or Alilaguna blue line motorboat from the docks and get off at the Arsenale stop.
Small but very nice upmarket hotel, check out their website.
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Fabulous photos I've seen more of venice looking at these than when I was there as everywhere was rammed.

Now is definitely the time to travel. We got a week in crete in August and it was lovely and quiet
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Fabulous photos I've seen more of venice looking at these than when I was there as everywhere was rammed.

Now is definitely the time to travel. We got a week in crete in August and it was lovely and quiet
I have about 400 photos 🤣🤣 I was obsessed with how clean the canals were and empty streets and squares .
Sept 24 POFQ
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Next time your thinking of going check out Hotel Bucintoro. Perfect situation, short walk over a bridge from the airport vaporretto stop or Alilaguna blue line motorboat from the docks and get off at the Arsenale stop.
Small but very nice upmarket hotel, check out their website.
Now that is a nice hotel
Sept 24 POFQ