Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 12 Sep 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
I am thinking of booking the Fjords cruise on the Iona next August. As you say the prices are really good and nothing else comes close.
But I've cruised before with Royal Caribbean, NCL and Disney and loved them all, so I'm worried I'm going to be disappointed. The ship is a big part of the holiday for me and we love all the quizzes, game shows etc. that the American cruise lines do, will there be enough to do on P and O?
The cruise is for my 50th Birthday and asked other family members to join us, so we are trying to keep the cost down, but would I be better to stick with what I know (RC or NCL) and pay a bit (or a lot) more?
Honestly it's not an easy one. I think if you go in expecting RC or NCL you'll be dissapointed. Things like food and entertainment won't be on quite the same level.

However I think Iona will have a lot more to give than Britannia does and will be better suited to the Fjords with the indoor pool. I spent a lot of time on sea days reading in the cabin which I don't normally on a cruise, we're normally out doing stuff having fun on the ship.

You might be luckier with the entertainment team as they tend to send the best staff to the new ship. Quizzes and game shows etc depend on what you like- we love the hilarious and slightly naughty ones like The Quest on RC. They were more sedate and family friendly on P&O. Quizzes seemed aimed at an older generation but that might suit you better than us (Not trying to imply anything!). The guest speaker did a lecture about German tanks in ww2 or something. The guest entertainer was an Annie Lennox tribute. Again just not our thing, hopefully you'd get luckier than we did!

They was lots and lots of dance classes on sea days which normally we'd love but being pregnant I wasn't quite up to it. So I think we'd have been more entertained in different circumstances! The last day was super rocky and as I couldn't take any travel sickness pills I was just blurrrghhh, never mind dancing. Luckily the sea calmed down in time for us to do the Cookery Club which was definitley a highlight!

The way I'd look at it I think is if RC and NCL score 9s and 10s then P&O was 6s and 7s. Which still makes for a perfectly acceptable above average experience. But not a wow one.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Honestly it's not an easy one. I think if you go in expecting RC or NCL you'll be dissapointed. Things like food and entertainment won't be on quite the same level.

However I think Iona will have a lot more to give than Britannia does and will be better suited to the Fjords with the indoor pool. I spent a lot of time on sea days reading in the cabin which I don't normally on a cruise, we're normally out doing stuff having fun on the ship.

You might be luckier with the entertainment team as they tend to send the best staff to the new ship. Quizzes and game shows etc depend on what you like- we love the hilarious and slightly naughty ones like The Quest on RC. They were more sedate and family friendly on P&O. Quizzes seemed aimed at an older generation but that might suit you better than us (Not trying to imply anything!). The guest speaker did a lecture about German tanks in ww2 or something. The guest entertainer was an Annie Lennox tribute. Again just not our thing, hopefully you'd get luckier than we did!

They was lots and lots of dance classes on sea days which normally we'd love but being pregnant I wasn't quite up to it. So I think we'd have been more entertained in different circumstances! The last day was super rocky and as I couldn't take any travel sickness pills I was just blurrrghhh, never mind dancing. Luckily the sea calmed down in time for us to do the Cookery Club which was definitley a highlight!

The way I'd look at it I think is if RC and NCL score 9s and 10s then P&O was 6s and 7s. Which still makes for a perfectly acceptable above average experience. But not a wow one.
Thank you for the reply.
It really is a tough one, we have sailed on Ncl Epic, Jewel and Jade and RC voyager, adventure and Libery, and also Disney Magic.
I prefer newer and larger ships, the bigger the better, that's why Iona appealed to me. That said Disney Magic was the smallest ship and my favourite cruise so far because the entertainment, food and service were so good.
We have done the Fjords before in August (7 years ago) with Royal and I remember the weather not being great so we were inside alot of the time, but there was lots to do. There will be 9 of us this time, ages 12-81, so we should be able to amuse ourselves, but still worried I will miss all the things I'm used to.
Price wise the Epic is probably closest but would have to add on flights, and we've done the itinerary twice already so that doesn't really excite me, but the weather would be better. We did love the Epic but now hubby is saying he doesn't want to go on a ship he's already been on.
Decisions decisions.
1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 all off site, 2007 Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, 2008 Cypress Pointe, 2010 Disney Magic, 2010 OKW/Rolling Hills, 2011 Pop/CBR, 2013 POFQ/Bellavida, 2015 OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, 2016 CBR, 2017 Cypress Pointe, 2018 OKW/Storey Lake, 2019 BlueTree Resort, 2019 Cypress Pointe/Tuscan Ridge, 2020 CSR, 2021 Formosa Gardens

Edited at 10:36 AM.
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for the reply.
It really is a tough one, we have sailed on Ncl Epic, Jewel and Jade and RC voyager, adventure and Libery, and also Disney Magic.
I prefer newer and larger ships, the bigger the better, that's why Iona appealed to me. That said Disney Magic was the smallest ship and my favourite cruise so far because the entertainment, food and service were so good.
We have done the Fjords before in August (7 years ago) with Royal and I remember the weather not being great so we were inside alot of the time, but there was lots to do. There will be 9 of us this time, ages 12-81, so we should be able to amuse ourselves, but still worried I will miss all the things I'm used to.
Price wise the Epic is probably closest but would have to add on flights, and we've done the itinerary twice already so that doesn't really excite me, but the weather would be better. We did love the Epic but now hubby is saying he doesn't want to go on a ship he's already been on.
Decisions decisions.
I have a massive soft spot for the Epic as she was our first ever cruise, we'd go on her again in a heartbeat but I also agree trying out new ships is fun. And we mostly don't like to repeat itineraries if we can help it. I also love megaships, the bigger and flashier the better. The dream is to do RC Harmony or Symphony- one day!

I posed your question to my hubby last night and he said he wouldn't be keen on doing P&O again, UNLESS it was on Iona. I think I'd feel the same and I'd be willing to give Iona a shot.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I have a massive soft spot for the Epic as she was our first ever cruise, we'd go on her again in a heartbeat but I also agree trying out new ships is fun. And we mostly don't like to repeat itineraries if we can help it. I also love megaships, the bigger and flashier the better. The dream is to do RC Harmony or Symphony- one day!

I posed your question to my hubby last night and he said he wouldn't be keen on doing P&O again, UNLESS it was on Iona. I think I'd feel the same and I'd be willing to give Iona a shot.
My dream is also one of the Oasis class ships, the Allure is in Europe next summer but silly prices, it would probably be cheaper to fly to New York for the Oasis, the other 2 are in the Caribbean. I am tempted to blow the budget as its my 50th, but then it would be unlikely that all the family would be able to come with us. Realistically I think that will have to wait until we aren't tied to school holidays anymore.
I keep looking at the Iona, and although it's big, there's no minigolf, bowling, ice skating, water slides, etc. that we're used to, my 12 year old won't go to kids clubs so I'm worried she'll be bored, and if she's moaning it's no fun for any of us
1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 all off site, 2007 Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, 2008 Cypress Pointe, 2010 Disney Magic, 2010 OKW/Rolling Hills, 2011 Pop/CBR, 2013 POFQ/Bellavida, 2015 OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, 2016 CBR, 2017 Cypress Pointe, 2018 OKW/Storey Lake, 2019 BlueTree Resort, 2019 Cypress Pointe/Tuscan Ridge, 2020 CSR, 2021 Formosa Gardens
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

My dream is also one of the Oasis class ships, the Allure is in Europe next summer but silly prices, it would probably be cheaper to fly to New York for the Oasis, the other 2 are in the Caribbean. I am tempted to blow the budget as its my 50th, but then it would be unlikely that all the family would be able to come with us. Realistically I think that will have to wait until we aren't tied to school holidays anymore.
I keep looking at the Iona, and although it's big, there's no minigolf, bowling, ice skating, water slides, etc. that we're used to, my 12 year old won't go to kids clubs so I'm worried she'll be bored, and if she's moaning it's no fun for any of us
Hmm if the 12yr old won't do the kids clubs I'd definitley be concerned about her getting bored as I think thats where all the cool stuff for teens will be. We went with a 3yr old and on Britannia and there wasn't a lot for kids outside of the kids clubs although the club itself was great. There was a teen only deck area which was quite small but had a couple of games tables outside.

Ooh do it blow the budget on an Oasis class ship obviously just kidding, but I'm also jealous as no cruising for us for a few years now with a littley on the way. We'll definitley save up the next few years and hope an Oasis or Quantum class is in Europe for when we're ready. I think it will be worth the extra cost now we'll have a kid to entertain.

I've not checked where the Escape, Joy and Bliss are at the moment, take it none of them are doing anything suitable for you? Or the Breakaway/Getaway?
Old 13 Sep 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Three of our cruises have been on the Epic (our first cruise), the Allure of the Seas and NCL Escape, 3 very large ships. It would be hard to beat the facilities on these ships, the Allure and Escape especially.
If you compare what there is to do on these ships to what is on offer to the ship we have recently sailed on, P&O Oceana, there is no comparison. Having said that, I enjoyed this cruise as much as any of our previous cruises. I suppose it’s all down to what you want out of a cruise and if you have a teen it changes what your needs are.
I do like the big ships though.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 03:28 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for the replies.
I think I'm leaning further away from P and O now, part of me wants to try something different, but I'm just worried it won't be right for us at the moment.
NCL Escape is doing a Baltic cruise for our dates, would just come in our budget if we can get reasonable flights, also it's 9 nights and free drinks package so don't mind spending a bit more to get a bit more.
I've just shown my daughter a video of the high ropes course on the ship and she said she wants to do it, it's the first time I've actually seen her get excited about going on this holiday, so going to do a bit more research, as I know nothing about the Baltics.
Old 13 Sep 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I think I'm leaning further away from P and O now, part of me wants to try something different, but I'm just worried it won't be right for us at the moment.
NCL Escape is doing a Baltic cruise for our dates, would just come in our budget if we can get reasonable flights, also it's 9 nights and free drinks package so don't mind spending a bit more to get a bit more.
I've just shown my daughter a video of the high ropes course on the ship and she said she wants to do it, it's the first time I've actually seen her get excited about going on this holiday, so going to do a bit more research, as I know nothing about the Baltics.
The ropes course is awesome, there’s one point where you slide and you go out over the ocean, I chickened out of that part, but it’s great fun.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

The drinks package really does make a big difference and save a lot of money. They didn't charge us for any of the soft drinks we ordered for the kids as they allow you to have two drinks per card per trip to the bar. We pre paid our gratuities and had an onboard bill of $50 after a week on Breakaway and that was only because we had some laundry done and let kids use the arcade.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
WE are booked on the Iona next June, it will be my third cruise to the Ffords, really looking forward to being on the ship.
We are doing the Fjords on Iona next August it will be our first cruise!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List