Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jul 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
That sounds like my cough which I’ve had for 9 years now except mine is also triggered by strong perfume smells and a drop in temperature eg air con or when the temperature has dropped in the night.

I am an ex smoker (Gave up a few months before this cough started) and had a barrage of tests in 2014 including chest X-rays, Chest ct, lung function (spirometers) heart scans etc. No cause found and I’m still coughing
Hi, I've never smoked and most days have a cough and I've had it at least 5 years. I was diagnosed as having cough varient asthma?
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Not COPD, but my mum was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, after having a seemingly ‘normal’ chest infection.

Interestingly, there has been lots of mention of my mums relatively unheard of disease, and other lung conditions, in the media of late, as it sadly seems that many people are now suffering with these conditions as a result of Covid.

I only mention it, as it seems as though there might be much more investigation and research into these conditions in the future now - probably all too late for my mum, but hopefully it will be a benefit to you and others suffering with lung conditions.

Wishing you all the very best x
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Could it be Bronchiectasis rather than COPD? Just with you saying about not smoking it would be unusual. I’m no expert but I believe they are similar in the way that they can inflate the lungs like on your ex ray.

You really need a proper consultation on this.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

I have copd and have never smoked in my life. Mine is caused by the damaged from brittle asthma. I hate it when people assumed that copd is caused by smoking.
i hope you ok
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

My BIL has copd and the doctor gave him an asthma inhaler to use . He uses in the morning energy he gets up then again when he goes to bed. My Sister has had a cough for the last 2 yrs after having a chest infection. The doctor says it's a nasal drip she has and that's what makes her cough. No cure, can take things to relieve it but only for a short term. Doctor says it could disappear in months, years or never go ! Hope you get it sorted.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum was diagnosed with this a couple of years ago after a few chest infections that would not go away.
She is a smoker unfortunately but she will not accept this diagnosis, she did not attend the follow up appointments etc
She is insistent that it is purely allergies 🤷
She regularly gets bad sinus & chest infections that need antibiotics & steroids but she doesn’t have a cough all the time or anything like that. And she is otherwise fit, healthy weight and active. She is 68
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Hi, I've never smoked and most days have a cough and I've had it at least 5 years. I was diagnosed as having cough varient asthma?
They ruled out asthma after the lung function test, also an inhaler made me cough! It’s really weird 8 am totally fed up with it but I don’t even mention it to a doctor now, last time I did 6 months or so after those testS, the doctors reply was ‘ well you’ve been referred for tests what do you want me to do about it) I have moved and have different GP now maybe once we can actually see a GP again I should ask to be checked out again, it is another 6 years down the line
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dizzzy View Post
Thanks for this, fortunately I know what affects my cough and usually it’s when I’ve just eaten, when I lean over and when I laugh. I occasionally get it on a night when I go to bed. I don’t get out of breath anymore, this stopped as soon as my chest infection went after my second lot of antibiotics.

It’s great to hear about your grandma and just shows how they can get things wrong.

I think you’re right about needing to have a consultation to have it explained properly to me. It think what’s got to me is it wasn’t a case of I might have it but I have got it. The nurse was suprised that they didn’t tell me when I had the X-ray but I didn’t think it was up to radiographer to do the diagnosis!
Your X ray looks like COPD to the doctor, but your symptoms seem very much like an acid reflux cough. Would definitely speak to the doc about it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzzy View Post
Thanks for this, fortunately I know what affects my cough and usually it’s when I’ve just eaten, when I lean over and when I laugh. I occasionally get it on a night when I go to bed. I don’t get out of breath anymore, this stopped as soon as my chest infection went after my second lot of antibiotics.

It’s great to hear about your grandma and just shows how they can get things wrong.

I think you’re right about needing to have a consultation to have it explained properly to me. It think what’s got to me is it wasn’t a case of I might have it but I have got it. The nurse was suprised that they didn’t tell me when I had the X-ray but I didn’t think it was up to radiographer to do the diagnosis!
Classic signs of acid reflux cough. I’d get a second opinion.
Old 30 Jul 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Your X ray looks like COPD to the doctor, but your symptoms seem very much like an acid reflux cough. Would definitely speak to the doc about it.
Exactly what I said before I saw your post.

I had a terrible cough couldn’t get rid of it for 12 months. They wondered if I had lung cancer at one point.

A triple therapy (2 types of antacid, permanent protein pump inhibitor for 6 months and a drug that sped up stomach emptying) eventually cured me. But every trigger OP says is what my consultant said was acid cough. I had to go private to sort. A chest infection/ cold seemed to set mine off also at first.

Losing weight is also a good treatment if it is this.