Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Aug 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

First Trip Planning

So, it’s been a bucket list location for soooo long but I’m trying to get some sort of itinerary together and price it up. There’s a few places I want to visit but they’re not that easy to get to it seems. There would only be 2 of us travelling and we can drive but really don’t feel comfortable driving abroad - which makes it even tougher.

Attractions we would like to visit:

Disneyland (of course) - 3 days should be enough across the 2 parks?
Knotts Berry - 1 day
Knotts Berry Soak City - 1 day
Universal - 1 day
Six Flags Magic Mountain - 2 days

Would probably like a beach day and 2 days to explore LA.

Accommodation

Was thinking of a split stay in Anaheim and then LA area.

Any recommended hotels? Nothing too fancy and breakfast is a bonus but not essential.

Transport

Can this really be done without a car? I think SFMM is probably going to be the toughest and may be some expensive Uber’s!

Any tips and tricks on public transport and routes for this?

Cost

Probably visit in August as teaching professionals (sigh). Would love to know rough prices for anyone who has done similar. Of course COVID has thrown everything out there.

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share!
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Driving is relatively easy with all hire cars automatic. What length is you holiday and do you plan to go anywhere else
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

I cant comment on public transport to the parks you have mentioned as we hired a car (the driving is really straight forward) but I just wanted to say that both six Flags and Knotts Berry Farm are great parks. We didn’t do Disney or Universal last year as we did a bigger road trip of California but ‘topped and tailed’ the holiday with a theme park as we flew in to and out of LAX. I think Knotts Berry Farm and Six flags are really underrated and if you like more extreme rides you will love them both.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Driving is relatively easy with all hire cars automatic. What length is you holiday and do you plan to go anywhere else
I’ve never driven an automatic but I’m not too worried about the car, it’s just being different roads that puts us off when you’re so used to the UK. I guess no roundabouts is a positive eh?

We wouldn’t go anywhere else and the holiday would be the amount of days that we’ve got the stuff planned for so no more than 2 weeks.
Old 4 Aug 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
I cant comment on public transport to the parks you have mentioned as we hired a car (the driving is really straight forward) but I just wanted to say that both six Flags and Knotts Berry Farm are great parks. We didn’t do Disney or Universal last year as we did a bigger road trip of California but ‘topped and tailed’ the holiday with a theme park as we flew in to and out of LAX. I think Knotts Berry Farm and Six flags are really underrated and if you like more extreme rides you will love them both.
We absolutely love coasters so with the huge offering at Six Flags is why we want to go. Did you spend just the 1 day there?
Old 4 Aug 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi if your planning 2 weeks then you still have other days to use. Just go through some spanner’s and make you think, you could Fly into San Fran spend 2/3 days there and then either fly or preferably drive down .
Just some food for thought.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Slore View Post
We absolutely love coasters so with the huge offering at Six Flags is why we want to go. Did you spend just the 1 day there?
Yes we did one day at Six Flags and one day at Knotts. We bought the skip the line fast pass type ticket at each park which was expensive but meant we could spend the whole day on rides and not queuing. It was well worth it.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
Yes we did one day at Six Flags and one day at Knotts. We bought the skip the line fast pass type ticket at each park which was expensive but meant we could spend the whole day on rides and not queuing. It was well worth it.
Yes, I would always try buy that too - especially given the distance to get there. Thanks!
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We loved Knotts and although it’s very much a locals park it has some great rides and was a good day out.

I can think of lots of better ways to spend a day than at Soak City though, it was an OK day but I didn’t feel like I would ever rush back.
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We loved Knotts and although it’s very much a locals park it has some great rides and was a good day out.

I can think of lots of better ways to spend a day than at Soak City though, it was an OK day but I didn’t feel like I would ever rush back.
We do like water parks and I was thinking it would be a much more chilled day when we would have had 4 days at parks. It doesn’t look outstanding though!