Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Calling Virgin Atlantic Reward Experts...

If I book a one-way reward flight, will they convert it to a return flight once the inbound leg becomes available or will I have to book two singles? The difference in taxes isn't too bad if I'm going upper out and economy back but if I want to do upper both ways the difference between two singles or a return is about £1,300 for the 4 of us

Also, I have two companion vouchers (one earned in 2019 and one in 2020), can you use both against a return flight or just if they are singles.

I thought I knew the answer to most things VA reward related but the raft of new incentives has thrown me!
Old 19 Sep 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi 😊 DH rang Flying Club and booked our outbound leg for the 6th August and they are now holding our seats until our inbound dates become available. At that time they will add in the return sector to make an official booking.

Last year they booked our outbound flight and waived the £30 amendment fee when we booked our return. I hope this helps!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Hi 😊 DH rang Flying Club and booked our outbound leg for the 6th August and they are now holding our seats until our inbound dates become available. At that time they will add in the return sector to make an official booking.

Last year they booked our outbound flight and waived the £30 amendment fee when we booked our return. I hope this helps!
Brilliant, thank you. I have existing singles for April 21 and need to change and convert the outgoing to an August return, then cancel the April incoming. It’s quite complicated so I just need to know what to tell them I want to do and work out the cost and miles before speaking to them, if that makes sense! (Just read that back and not sure it does! ) 😂
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ellie-mai
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I've tried similar in the past and been told they cannot change a single to a return. I explained it was more cost effective to cancel the single paying the £30 fee each and rebook - and that's what they made me do.
ellie-mai is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ellie-mai View Post
I've tried similar in the past and been told they cannot change a single to a return. I explained it was more cost effective to cancel the single paying the £30 fee each and rebook - and that's what they made me do.
Same here. What I’ve done in the past is booked my outbound flight, adding a ‘return’ (of any date) and then amending when my chosen return date became available. This then costs £30 per person. If you book outbound and inbound separately it can cost significantly more.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

I've had an issue in the past using the reward voucher on a one way and then trying to convert to a return. I was told that they couldn't do that by amending and would have to cancel, but then there would b ea chance the reward seats would no longer be available.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Are they currently charging amendment fees? I've got so lost in the dates of when you can and can't change things for free!
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ah well oddly enough I booked my return leg yesterday and the lady told me they are going to start allowing you to book outbound then inbound and combine them at the point you book the inbound.

She got permission to do it with my flights yesterday

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
What is the saving of booking a return versus two singles?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
What is the saving of booking a return versus two singles?
The degree of saving varies depending on the cabin, but at the upper class level on reward flights it works out around £4,080 as two singles and £2,730 as a return (for a family of 2 adults, 2 children). I think the difference in an economy reward each way is around £80 difference.