Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Feb 10, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ms Finkelstein View Post
Have to say have never been to DLP, and I would like to try it. But I'll be honest and say it's highly unlikely we ever will.

And as for saying that you have to compare like for like - then of course you will find DLP cheaper than staying onsite in WDW - but the fact is, at WDW you do not need to stay onsite to have a great time or be near the parks. The set up at DLP isn't the same, they don't have the same off site infra structure. I priced up for 3 nights at Hotel Cheyanne for 2 ad 2 ch flying from Edinburgh and we got very little change from £1400! And I know I can definately get an Orlando holiday for that price!

Di x
Where?! Where?! I want to go to Orlando for £1400 for 2 adults 2 kids all in!
Old 25 Feb 10, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Born Grumpy
slightly serious Dibber

Born Grumpy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 10
We have been to WDW twice and decided at the start of the year to give DLP a go, decided we would always wonder what its like, having experienced both we would always choose WDW.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad had a very different feel to it - was good though, as was pirates.

Not just for the weather but over £1000 for 3 days is way too expensive for somewhere so close. There were too many issues that didn't quite sit right with us but always found things that we liked. What i would say is that Mickey speaking in French just killed it for us - i know people will say but your in France but some things are just not meant to be changed.

In the end its all about personal experiences and ours will always mean we will go to WDW, not snobbery, not preaching just giving my thoughts.
Old 25 Feb 10, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post

I went with lushes last year and i enjoyed most of it but i think that was because i was with the girls. I dont think i would go back again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 10, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Wazza1968 View Post
I've got to be honest, I don't think it's snobbery on anyones part - If you don't like DLP, then you don't like DLP fair enough! But I think people need to try it first!

But if you've been and you don't like it then fair enough, live and let live, but please everyone, don't dismiss DLP on the basis of horror stories you may have heard as I'm sure we could all come up with plenty of horror stories relating to WDW if we spent a few minutes on the net!
I never said I was dismissing DLP, I just said it was unlikely that we would go because of the cost. Yes, I agree DLP is a short break, but because we would be coming from Scotland the price is about £1400+ for a 3 day break which just isn't affordable for a 'short break' for us. Especially when I know we could get an Orlando holiday for just a few hundred more.

If we stayed in the South of England on the other hand I could guarantee you we would have been to DLP numerous times by now! I would love to go, but I can't justify spending that amount of money on a long weekend.

Edited to add - of course I know you can't get an Orlando holiday during school hols for £1400, what I should have said is for only a few hundred more I could (outwith school hols though ), as that is when we went on cheap orlando hols with the kids pre school - now we pay more, but I can find holidays for just over £2000 for 2 ad 2 ch going in March (park tickets not included).

Di x

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report

Edited at 08:15 PM.
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 10, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, We come from Scotland and love DLP. We go in school holidays and spend about £1000 on it. This includes travel, staying on site and half board plus. This is with two kids and I find it very reasonable. We travel down cheaply on the train and catch eurostar.

No taking kids out of school, no long flights and you're straight in the magic very quickly and can walk every where.

We also wait in october holidays and the only rudeness we encountered was from a british women who barged past every one waiting to see Alice and shoved her child in her face!
Old 26 Feb 10, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
snoops
Very Serious Dibber

snoops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went in February half term 3 adults 1 6 year old and 1 19month old. Stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for 4 nights. All meals free. Cost
£1768.83 + £4? for eurostar.
I only changed up £200 into euros because I still had some left over from our previous 2 trips. I returned with 230euros.
We had no problems with rudeness from anyone.
No problems regarding smoking.
Ok weather not good.

FL: Apr 93, Apr 95, Sept 00, Sept 01, Sept 02, Sept 04, May 11, July 15, Apr 17, Fantasy Apr 17

DLP: Aug 98, Feb 08, Feb 09, Feb 10, Oct 10, Feb 12, Feb 13
Oct 13,Feb 15,
snoops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 10, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I have been to Florida twice, soon to be 3rd time.

I have been to DLP 6 or 7 times, lost count. Its FABULOUS and those who dismiss it without even going are simply missing out - seriously for a cheap quick break (and yes it can be done if you book it out of season and seperately) its so so worth it!
Old 5 Mar 10, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ms Finkelstein View Post
Have to say have never been to DLP, and I would like to try it. But I'll be honest and say it's highly unlikely we ever will.

Main reason being - cost. I've priced it up and the cost of a long weekend for us travelling from Scotland going to DLP is ridiculous! I see the price and think - jeez, for another couple of hundred we could get to Florida for a fortnight! And for that extra couple of hundred we get 6 Disney parks, US/IOS/SW, better weather... no contest.

Not snobbery on my part, it's just better financially for us.

And as for saying that you have to compare like for like - then of course you will find DLP cheaper than staying onsite in WDW - but the fact is, at WDW you do not need to stay onsite to have a great time or be near the parks. The set up at DLP isn't the same, they don't have the same off site infra structure. I priced up for 3 nights at Hotel Cheyanne for 2 ad 2 ch flying from Edinburgh and we got very little change from £1400! And I know I can definately get an Orlando holiday for that price!

Di x
You find me a holiday for 2 ad & 2 kids to WDW staying onsite with park tickets and breakfast included for £1400 !

I've said it time and time again people arent comparing like with like.

I've just come back from Orlando.. Holiday Inn Sunspree LBV + flights with Virgin in feb (so off peak ) 14 nights £2600.

Disney tickets would be £600 ish for 5 days (we have myw tickets) so thats £3200.

Stopping onsite would add what £1000 on to that.

I've been to DLP 4 times and never paid more than £900 for all of us,stopping in Newport Bay and that includes tickets and Eurostar.

I'm sure i could do it cheaper too if we drove but we cant take our car on the eurostar so that cancels out that idea.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 10, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
You find me a holiday for 2 ad & 2 kids to WDW staying onsite with park tickets and breakfast included for £1400 !

I've said it time and time again people arent comparing like with like.

I've just come back from Orlando.. Holiday Inn Sunspree LBV + flights with Virgin in feb (so off peak ) 14 nights £2600.

Disney tickets would be £600 ish for 5 days (we have myw tickets) so thats £3200.

Stopping onsite would add what £1000 on to that.

I've been to DLP 4 times and never paid more than £900 for all of us,stopping in Newport Bay and that includes tickets and Eurostar.

I'm sure i could do it cheaper too if we drove but we cant take our car on the eurostar so that cancels out that idea.
Obviously if you compare staying onsite in WDW and DLP then DLP is much cheaper, but as I've said you don't need to stay onsite at WDW to have a great holiday, the setup at DLP is totally different.

Generally with WDW you are getting 14 nights, DLP tends to be a long weekend.

As I've also said, if you stay in the South Of England DLP is an affordable option. Travelling from Scotland is a completely different story, and when I've priced it up I can't justify that cost for a long weekend. £1400 for 3 nights incl flights staying at Hotel Cheyanne. £2000 for 14 nights incl flights at an Orlando offsite hotel in March.

I'm not saying I've got anything against DLP, I'd love to go, but I just can't justify the cost for what would be a long weekend.

Di x

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 10, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
I live in Lincolnshire so at least a 4 hr drive from Dover.

Which hotel is that for then in March ?

I'm looking again for next year and even the cheapest hotels like the Rodeway are at least £2500 for 14 nights 2 adults and 2 kids. I cant see anyway of doing flights for 4 people and hotel for £2000 and believe me i've looked.

But to compare like with like... when looking at DLP you need to be looking offsite like are you with Orlando... there are several hotels mins from DLP which are much cheaper than stopping on site.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread