Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

Good luck for everyone off today

My ds has come to the end of his second week. Fresher week I think he found hard as v shy and not into going out so didn’t really get involved. I think this is fine no need to put them under pressure which they will hate. This week been lectures all week and been v busy he is a lot more settled and enjoying it. Getting on fine with his flat mates who are also all quiet and he is the only first yr. others are post grad or in higher yrs. at first I thought this was a bad thing but actually for him it has been good I don’t think he would have been comfortable in a flat where the rest were getting drunk every night and being noisy.
He is slowly making some friends and with time will start going out a bit I am sure.
I think the whole freshens thing is v daunting for most and for those who have kids that parties are not their scene things will become easier once they get into their course and find like minded friends
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Our turn today 😢 I’ve kept myself busy and quite calm about it .but last night had to have a little cry ! Our oldest boy goes to Nottingham Trent today
.hes had a few health issues over the summer so I’m sure this is adding to my worries! But we are very lucky he’s only going to be 90 minutes away.hes such a lovely lad we spend a lot of time together I will miss him so much .does anyone else have children going to Nottingham Trent ?
Oh and good luck to everyone that has ‘the journey ‘ to make today xxx
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck to everyone off today.

DH and I are down in Devon and going home later today via Bristol to visit DD.

Not sure if it’s the right thing to do but she wants to see us and we’re virtually passing her doorstep.

I can’t wait to give her a big hug!

She has seemed a bit happier the last few days so hoping she’s settling in.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Maxymoo View Post
Good luck for everyone off today

My ds has come to the end of his second week. Fresher week I think he found hard as v shy and not into going out so didn’t really get involved. I think this is fine no need to put them under pressure which they will hate. This week been lectures all week and been v busy he is a lot more settled and enjoying it. Getting on fine with his flat mates who are also all quiet and he is the only first yr. others are post grad or in higher yrs. at first I thought this was a bad thing but actually for him it has been good I don’t think he would have been comfortable in a flat where the rest were getting drunk every night and being noisy.
He is slowly making some friends and with time will start going out a bit I am sure.
I think the whole freshens thing is v daunting for most and for those who have kids that parties are not their scene things will become easier once they get into their course and find like minded friends
Pleased to hear your son is settling in. I agree it’s good not to put pressure on making lots of friends in Freshers. It’s not always the easiest week, especially for quieter students. I’m sure a lot find it easier once the course starts
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Good luck to everyone off today.

DH and I are down in Devon and going home later today via Bristol to visit DD.

Not sure if it’s the right thing to do but she wants to see us and we’re virtually passing her doorstep.

I can’t wait to give her a big hug!

She has seemed a bit happier the last few days so hoping she’s settling in.
Good to hear your DD is settling a little better now MM. If you see a stressed out, tearful, fellow Welsh mum today in Bristol come and say hi 😂

I do hope parking isn’t going to be too difficult 😡
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Good to hear your DD is settling a little better now MM. If you see a stressed out, tearful, fellow Welsh mum today in Bristol come and say hi 😂

I do hope parking isn’t going to be too difficult 😡
Aw bless you, good luck today.

It’s so hard isn’t it? I think we probably have quite similar relationships with our daughters which makes it so emotional.

Although we’re excited for them in their new adventures, it’s still hard to let go of the little girls they were!
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Morning!

We are off to Newcastle today to drop off DD.

We had a family party last night for her so everyone could say goodbye to her which was fun.

She’s been remarkably chilled about it all and has spent the week volunteering and going out with friends. She is so chilled that she still hasn’t finished her packing. I keep offering to help but am banned!
She is the youngest in the extended family and she has seen her brother and cousins go through Uni so I think it helps as she has some idea of what it is all about. They have all been giving her their pearls of wisdom and are all close so they are all planning visits to her.

When she first announced she wanted to go to Newcastle, I was very worried about the distance from home as she has some medical issues and I felt I wanted her a bit closer to home in case of an emergency and we needed to get to her but I have had time to process it all and get used to it. We have put a plan in place with her consultant and the hospital unit she needs to go to is next door to the Uni so it is actually much closer than if she were at home. She has been self managing her medication for a few years now and she has been trained to care for herself and her condition so we are confident that she will be ok. I will continue to check up on her that she is doing what she needs to but she is used to that!

It is too far to drop her off and come home on the same day so we have a hotel booked tonight and she is planning to stay in her room tonight while we are at the hotel which is a good way to ease her into it all.

I am fine at the moment but may feel a bit different tomorrow when we have to say goodbye. However I went to Uni and had such a positive experience that I have been reflecting this week on all of my fun memories and not allowing any negative thoughts in. Also, I keep telling myself that she is not gone for good, it is only for a few weeks and then she will be home for Christmas.

I hope the moves go well for everyone this weekend and that there are not too many tears.

I have really appreciated this thread as we have all walked this journey at the same time and it has been helpful to know that we are not alone in this. Thank you to everyone who has contributed x
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck everyone this weekend!

It is a week today that my daughter moved to Lincoln and apart from a wobble on Monday evening, she seems to have settled in well and is embracing Freshers Week (she is not usually one go go out!)

Looking forward to hearing your updates and like others will be here over the coming days, weeks and months as support.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this but sorry Pam if it's copyright or something. I saw this and laughed and cried and thought of all of us on here...

September Song – Pam Ayres

He is off to university, all is now in place
there is fear, anticipation and excitement in his face.
An overstuffed enormous bag and rucksack in the hall
and a ghastly leaden feeling like the ending of it all.

I cannot let it show this selfish aching in my heart
for the sweet chaotic years in which you played the major part.
I am fearful of the emptiness when you depart the room
and silence settles round us like the stillness of a tomb.

At your bedroom door I used to stand and shake my head
the mess was unbelievable, the floor, the chair, the bed.
The place was never hoovered, never felt a duster's touch
but now it's neat and clean and I don't like it half as much.

I loved you going out, so young and eager and alive
and I loved you coming home, your little car, turned in the drive.
The energy, the racket, all the songs you loved to play
and I won't know where to turn to when the music dies away.

There was ringing of the mobile, there was tapping of the text
the ipod and the ipad and the new thing coming next.
There was passion, there was fashion, with your father in despair
saying, “In the name of God, what has that boy done to his hair?!”

Now parents realise that all between them that has dwindled
can be resuscitated and romantically rekindled.
Old passions reignited, sexual energies uncurbed
but looking at your Dad, I think I'll leave him undisturbed.

My son is ready, independent, eager, fit, he has to go.
He must take his chances now, I know, I know, I know, I know
He will make so many friends, he will be having such a ball;
it may all be so exciting that he won't come home at all.

I am looking at a life which seems so drained of all it's colour;
the heart is gone from us, we are older, we are duller.
Now when people ask us, we'll show photographs and say,
“Our son's at university, that's right, he lives away...”
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I recognise so much of this... Thank you for posting.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List