Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
We have a set of soft cases which have been used for 5 Florida trips and are starting to look a bit worse for wear. We over did it with the shopping last year and had to purchase an additional case when in Florida. We bought a Samsonite hard shell case in TJ Max and it is great, I’m going to try and buy some more before our next trip. The only thing I regret is buying it in black, I wish I had bought it in a brighter colour so it would stand out on the carousel.
My old Samsonite I spoke about earlier has an identifying fluorescent orange cross sprayed on it. I didn’t mask the area, so it’s a bit of a mobile “Banksy” paint job. Looks rubbish, but helps me locate it and stops anyone taking it by mistake. 😀
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris106
Apprentice Imagineer

The only trouble with hard cases is that they don't stack well together which is probably why there always seems to be more of them damaged than soft shell on baggage conveyors , but then as mentioned soft shell run the risk of getting the contents wet if left out in rain storms ... Good quality hard shells probably the answer for Florida on balance ?
Chris106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Soft for us. Much more flexible for packing. And large numbers seem to come off planed wrecked compared to duffles.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

We always used to have hard shell cases, but swapped to soft in recent years.

1 because they are usually lighter so we can fit more stuff in (which we need with 2 teen girls), but the main reason was about fitting four cases in our car. The hard ones won’t fit, but the soft ones do.

Having said that our brand new Tripp soft suitcase was damaged last year on first use, but the airline replaced it. So there are advantages and disadvantages for both.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Hard shell ones for us too! Samsonite were on offer on amazon two years ago and are quite robust. Or old cases lasted over a decade before giving up the ghost. Our new ones don’t have any liners though but that also means you don’t lose any packing space. I’m considering buying some packing cubes for next time and learning how to roll stuff like a pro to pack more efficiently. It will also be easier to unpack at the resort knowing where everything is. I’m unsure whether we’ll need hand luggage at this point but we may need garment bags for the special items we want to wear.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've always had soft shell cases - currently have a couple of really nice light ones from Samsonite that have been on several trips with me and have held up pretty well.

I must admit though that I'd never even heard of luggage getting left out of the rain in thunderstorms until I read about that here! (We get thunderstorms all the time here but not heard of anyone I know living here who has ever gotten their luggage soaked at the airport here...)
Old 20 Jul 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Soft for me.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
The hard cases that have some give to them.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Hard shell if travelling long haul by plane. If we are doing a road trip by car I use the soft ones to fit them in easier.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

I used to always go for the soft ones but after we bought a hard tripp case for our last Florida holiday i'd say hard cases for planes - our soft ones did not fare too well on the journey at all and we now only use them for trips that don't involve flying. I'm going to pick up another tripp case this week sometime while they're on offer in debenhams - i'd def recommend them!
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List