Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Florida Magical Tours

Old 25 Jun 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melivvie View Post
Hi Peko, sorry to jump on your thread but was wondering - we are looking at an indirect flight for LHR-ATL-TPA, have you experienced Atlanta airport for minimum layover times as opposed to JFK (we have that choice too). Some flights are stating 1.25 but I thought that may be cutting it fine. Thank you.
Sorry, no direct experience of ATL connections myself, though hopefully there are plenty of others here who do have it.

I assume its Delta or Virgin/Delta, have read mixed reports on here and suspect it will all come down to the immigration wait. In general 1.25 for international to domestic is tight, but if there are a lot of later domestic connections that day, it may be worth the risk. Hopefully someone with direct experience will be along to help.

Edited at 07:40 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Always sensible to know options etc in case of delays, but if it runs on time thats perfectly enough time. I wouldnt worry about it.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Second time for our little girl.
Old 26 Jun 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Hi Peko, sorry to jump on your thread but was wondering - we are looking at an indirect flight for LHR-ATL-TPA, have you experienced Atlanta airport for minimum layover times as opposed to JFK (we have that choice too). Some flights are stating 1.25 but I thought that may be cutting it fine. Thank you.
1.25 for an outward international change is very lean indeed. I would plan to miss my connection and get put on standby, and be happily surprised if I made it. Ive change with less than 1 hour before due to delays, and made it so its not impossible. I would change before I left if an option as they next flight within seats might not be the next flight.

Edited at 11:44 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Old 26 Jun 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Melivvie
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Sorry, no direct experience of ATL connections myself, though hopefully there are plenty of others here who do have it.

I assume its Delta or Virgin/Delta, have read mixed reports on here and suspect it will all come down to the immigration wait. In general 1.25 for international to domestic is tight, but if there are a lot of later domestic connections that day, it may be worth the risk. Hopefully someone with direct experience will be along to help.
Thanks Peko, interestingly i booked my flights yesterday MAN-ATL-TPA and TPA-JFK-MAN with VA. They did say that they have a team who set those layover times which all being well should ensure you make the connecting flight. I was assured by VA that if any delays they will get us on the next flight (I don't mind coming home as it extends the holiday!)

The layover is 1.55 out at 1.40 home

Edited at 11:54 AM.
Melivvie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anna Maria Island - on our way!
Old 26 Jun 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Thanks Peko, interestingly i booked my flights yesterday MAN-ATL-TPA and TPA-JFK-MAN with VA. They did say that they have a team who set those layover times which all being well should ensure you make the connecting flight. I was assured by VA that if any delays they will get us on the next flight (I don't mind coming home as it extends the holiday!)

The layover is 1.55 out at 1.40 home
Theyll put you on stand by. This means you will get the next flight, typically with that airline which has seats available. That might not be the same day unfortunately in which case theyll typically put you in a hotel. Unless they claim delay was out of their control such as bad weather then you may have to make your own hotel arrangements and claim back through insurance. Happened to me a couple of times.
Old 26 Jun 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
robotango
A Guest at All-Stars

JFK is a notoriously difficult airport to connect at, I like to leave at least 3 hrs but in all honesty it is the airlines responsibility and at 2hr 45min you should be alright. I had 2 hrs at Newark a couple of years ago and missed the connection, they just put us on the next one three hours later
robotango is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
On our way back to the Sunshine State