Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 18, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

JFK Layover Time Reduced

Our Virgin/Delta indirect flight from Manchester to Tampa has had various small timing changes with the latest one reducing the layover time in New York from 3 and a half hours to 2 hours 45 minutes and has come with a warning that it may cause us to miss the connection. If we accept it and do get held up does that mean it’s our problem because we didn’t reschedule or cancel?
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Our Virgin/Delta indirect flight from Manchester to Tampa has had various small timing changes with the latest one reducing the layover time in New York from 3 and a half hours to 2 hours 45 minutes and has come with a warning that it may cause us to miss the connection. If we accept it and do get held up does that mean it’s our problem because we didn’t reschedule or cancel?
I believe the airline would still be liable to place you on the next available flight... alternatively, if your final destination is MCO have a look at those flights, see what layover times are and perhaps ask to be re-routed that way. Bit of a long shot but you never know.

Last Nov we had a layover at Atlanta of 1 hour 30 mins, we made and were amongst the last 6 or so to board, doors closed and off we went.
Old 15 Jun 18, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

On a single ticket, Minimum Connection Time (MCT) at JFK for this Connection is 1h25. That’s super-tight but it means that your connection still easily meets MCT and therefore your connection is protected, should you miss it. As always, that means you’ll get on the next flight with seats available.

These things are never risk-free, but you should still be ok with 2h45. Everyone has different attitudes to risk, and if you want to change I would look at the options available first and see if any of them make you happier. Also take a screen shot of the warning, you may or may not get resistance to a change with a connection standing at 2h45.

If you decide to go with it, your Virgin flight will arrive at T4 and your onward domestic will depart from either T4 or T2, it’s not easy to know in advance. If it turns out to be T2, it’s a little less convenient but perfectly manageable. After immigration, customs and bag drop in T4, go back through security at T4 and (if necessary) make the transfer to T2 on Delta’s airside bus, called The Jitney. It’s the only airside connection between terminals at JFK.

Edited at 05:21 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Depends what time you get in and how busy it is.
It was chaos when we went last summer. We joined the trusted previous ESTA line, supposedly 30 mins. It snakes through the arrivals and it was really hot. From memory though I then think it was pretty quick through customs.Took 1.5 hours. I’d avoid JFK now and go to Newark. Even though it was bad, I’d probably still have been OK with 2.45 so wouldn’t worry too much. When you get off plane try to walk fast and get to front of queue.
Old 15 Jun 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Once off the aircraft, if immigration is looking busy, look out for the “Quick Connect” signs with your Delta boarding pass to hand. This will at least shorten your immigration wait.

An hour has been my shortest connection time at JFK and that included getting from T4 to T5. Apart from anything ridiculous happening, you’ll still be fine. Only bring on the anxiety if it goes down to 90 minutes, but even then you can do sod all about it.

Edited at 07:30 AM.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

2 hours 45 is still a decent connection time. Each time we’ve flown into jfk we’ve been outside with our cases within 45 mins of landing. If you did miss it they would put you on the next available flight.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the feedback. We usually travel direct but as there are 16 of us and we're paying for everyone we opted for the substantially cheaper indirect option. I don't want to try changing the flight times as we have 3 separate bookings so can envisage not everyone being accommodated on the same flight. I also think 2 hours 45 should be sufficient. We're also T4 in and out which should help.

Edited at 11:16 AM.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
AmexVflyer
Excited about Disney

I have just looked at flight options with Delta over JFK and they are showing some with 1 hr 35 minutes connection, so I would say 2.45 is more than fine.
Old 15 Jun 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AmexVflyer View Post
I have just looked at flight options with Delta over JFK and they are showing some with 1 hr 35 minutes connection, so I would say 2.45 is more than fine.
Those options show because MCT is 1.25, but MCT at US gateways often doesn't really take immigration times for non-US citizens/residents into account.

It is possible to make such a connection, but I wouldn't book a 90 minute international to domestic connection at JFK unless I had Global Entry and hand luggage only (and preferably TSA Pre for the onward flight as well). With family in tow and checked bags, I'd be looking at 2 hours as an absolute minimum at JFK on an outbound flight from UK to the US.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melivvie
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Those options show because MCT is 1.25, but MCT at US gateways often doesn't really take immigration times for non-US citizens/residents into account.

It is possible to make such a connection, but I wouldn't book a 90 minute international to domestic connection at JFK unless I had Global Entry and hand luggage only (and preferably TSA Pre for the onward flight as well). With family in tow and checked bags, I'd be looking at 2 hours as an absolute minimum at JFK on an outbound flight from UK to the US.
Hi Peko, sorry to jump on your thread but was wondering - we are looking at an indirect flight for LHR-ATL-TPA, have you experienced Atlanta airport for minimum layover times as opposed to JFK (we have that choice too). Some flights are stating 1.25 but I thought that may be cutting it fine. Thank you.
Melivvie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List