Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post

tell me about the 3 at home

Looking at the 3 Pay as you go sim

whats the score with it

i know you have to buy something else to have a add-on ? ? ?

thanks
matt
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
Looking at the 3 Pay as you go sim

whats the score with it

i know you have to buy something else to have a add-on ? ? ?

thanks
matt
You just need to order the Sim online for Free, when it comes then you need to set up an account with Three (online and you can download the app to your phone) and then you need to Top Up £10, £15 or £20 depending which add on you want and once the top up is on the account, you can buy the required Add on. They all get you 3000 minutes and texts but the price difference is the data £10 gets you 1GB £15 gets you 5GB and £20 gets you 12GB - I just did the £20 so I wasn't worried about it.

It's worth noting it's only 3G and not 4G but I used it all the time for Uber / Lyft / Facebook / Insta / Googling things / Emails and most importnatly Google Maps & Route Planning and never once had an issue
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
There's a tonne of recent posts about this, plus the links in the DIBB Guidebook explaining it.
Generally most people think it's ok but others including myself find the 3G too slow as it is throttled. You cant stream and you cant hotspot.
Plus you may be faffing around swapping SIMs.
Its entirely down to how much you're willing to spend and how you want to use your phone

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

3 is actually great for feel at home, i used it in New York last December and it worked everywhere, just make sure you connect to AT&T's network as it is the better one for the 3G, that's what i'll be doing, plus if you need the better bandwidth hop on the free wifi in the parks.
Fancealot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i used it for the first time last year and didnt really have any issues... but i wasnt using it for streaming or anything data-intensive - just the odd photo upload or five, booking ubers, replying to emails, that sort of thing.

for more intensive stuff, i used the wifi in the villa/parks/malls/etc
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i used it for the first time last year and didnt really have any issues... but i wasnt using it for streaming or anything data-intensive - just the odd photo upload or five, booking ubers, replying to emails, that sort of thing.
Me too, plus we used it for satnav too with google maps and never had a connection problem or poor signal.

OP, I have a Three contract now, but previously used the PAYG with add on and all worked well, following the instructions on here. When I got home last week I had a text from Three saying I had saved £3,158.95 on roaming costs!
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

I agree with the slow speeds if you were streaming or downloading lots of data but it's totally fine for the light / regular user.

If anyone has a new O2 contract from 1st April they now also include USA in your regular data / contract usasge so no more £5 a day charge from them!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Used it for the last two years, no problems as others have said data is a bit slow. I walked into a Three shop and bought my £20 sim there.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Me too, plus we used it for satnav too with google maps and never had a connection problem or poor signal.

OP, I have a Three contract now, but previously used the PAYG with add on and all worked well, following the instructions on here. When I got home last week I had a text from Three saying I had saved £3,158.95 on roaming costs!
These savings are just marketing rubbish because all networks have in place a roaming data cap so you don’t get charged anything too high. They are only on data but in order to achieve over £3k if charges from calls and texts you pretty much need to be on your phone 12 hours a day

May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I agree with the slow speeds if you were streaming or downloading lots of data but it's totally fine for the light / regular user.

If anyone has a new O2 contract from 1st April they now also include USA in your regular data / contract usasge so no more £5 a day charge from them!
Only if you’re on high-end contracts.

May14, Sep15... Mar17