Notices

Old 27 Jul 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Fun In The Sun Aug 2018 AMI/RPR/Disney Off-site

Introducing me (Caroline), DH James, DS Aiden (13) DS Efan (8) and DD Isla (6). This is our 2nd family trip to Florida, the last being Jul-Aug 2015. Loved every minute so headed back! James toured Florida as a teen with his family, and he and I took our first holiday as a couple there in 2003. Many moons ago! I've read SO many fantastic trip reports over the years and found them so helpful in terms of planning what can be an action packed, pricey holiday, and they've also entertained me in between when my thoughts turn to sunnier climes (often!) So now it's my turn..here goes!

Days 1-3 Anna Maria Island

We arrived around 6.30pm into Tampa following an indirect BA flight from Heathrow via Miami. Security etc was a doddle, great airport to navigate. Lost a fair bit of time upgrading our hire car with Avis, but we were then on the road and loving the warmth and humidity that is Florida in August. Arrived at our holiday house near Holmes beach just after dusk and after a few trips up and down the road trying to see door numbers in the dark (DH being a super grump at this point) we were in and unloaded! Here's a few pics of the 2 bed property taken over the following days. We had a really comfortable 3 night stay here. Unfortunately Red Tide was in full throw whilst we were there, which meant sea paddling was a no-go and walks on the beach were smelly! Tbh it didn't tarnish it much, we had a few lovely meals, took a dolphin boat tour and spotted so many up close (the only family on the boat) and walked along the beach up to Reel n Rod Pier.

So chilled!

Peaches Cafe..

Paradise Boat Tours (Bradenton beach) cost was $30 per adult, $20 per child. 90 minute trip. Tour guide was so knowledgeable and friendly, and the boys really enjoyed taking a turn at the wheel. We'd taken a trip to Panera bread for lunch an hour or so ahead of the 3pm tour...we took our refilled drinks into the boat. It was super hot today so we were thankful for the shelter on the boat, although at various points we ventured to the back of the boat which was uncovered, to get close up views of the many dolphins we were lucky enough to see up close. Unfortunately I can't access the dolphin pics. Was a wonderful experience, would definitely recommend.

Love Panera...worked there for a summer when I was at Uni so it was great to sample the sandwiches, soups and sweet treats again. Didn't get pics of the savouries (soups and sandwiches...I wasn't planning on a trip report when we were there) but a few pics of DD's flip flop cookie, DS's warm choc chunk cookie and DS's pastry. Yum. Went back to Panera a couple of times over the hols..the flip flop and choc chunk cookies became firm favourites!

Warm choc chunk goodness!

He'll love me for this! 😆

On morning 4 we packed and cleaned up the property, I'd finished the laundry the evening before so once the last of it was out of the drier we headed out. Property had been booked via HomeAway, was around £250 per night for 2 beds - double and a twin room, and big DS slept on the sofa bed in the lounge. Loved the small pool area, it was very clean and despite being shared with several other apartments/houses in the complex we rarely encountered another guest. Spent hours at the pool daily. Loved AMI and starting the holiday off with a relaxing few days.

Right... Destination Orlando! We were to stay at Loews Royal Pacific @ Universal club level (booker Oct 2017 Travel Republic) 6 nights, followed by 11 nights self catering at Cane Island (3 bed apartment, booked Jan 2018 via Travel Republic) in Kissimmee. Super excited! We took a long detour down the coast, to get a look at Sarasota ...drove in heavy rain but still got a good peek. Some gorgeous houses and palm trees by the dozen. Back on track to Orlando, we stopped for a McDonalds lunch. Always find the burgers so much tastier (don't think it's just the extra salt!) in the States. DS was highly amused at the size of the fries in the Happy Meal carton 🤣

Day 4, check in at Loews Royal Pacific

We arrived at the resort around 4pm, check-in was very busy so the trio and I sat in the courtyard next to the pond with the luggage. We also had a mooch in the tiny gift shop and I spotted a couple of things I liked- a huge resort mug and some teeny Harry Potter fridge magnets. We are big HP fans. DS also spotted the magnets and made a bee-line for the check-out to buy them for himself! Also purchased some lanyards - Transformers for me (yes...I absolutely love this simulator), Gryffindor for DD, Jurassic World for DH, Slytherin for DS and Ravenclaw for DS.

After checking-in we chilled in the room for a while and I unpacked toiletries etc. Headed to club lounge for savoury snacks ...pasta salad, cold meats, crisps, fruit and cold drinks. Wine and beer for the biggies and apple juice for the trio.

We then headed into the parks on the water taxi. Love the water taxi. DD pinches my sunglasses 🕶.

First up was Transformers...a must for me! The boys quite like it. DD detests it...made the mistake of taking her on when she was just 3 1/2 (bad parent alert!) and she's never forgiven me. Too loud and dark for her. Fun ride...we used parent swap this time! On our previous trip I was so hyped coming off the ride that I excitedly bought a T-shirt with a huge red glittery Optimus Prime logo on the front as we exited through the gift shop. Hooked on a feelin! Pricey but I love it and wear it often! (You can only imagine what I'm like at Disney around all that merch! )

Next up was Kings Cross and Hogsmeade. Felt so great to be back here. Middle DS is now mid way through reading the HP books with us now, has watched all the movies and was massively soaking up the atmosphere this trip (he was only 5 the last time we visited).

The trio were desperate to purchase interactive wands...as was DH! We have quite the HP memorabilia collection forming at home...what's another 4 wands? 😳$! Queued for Olivanders and after the show and some serious browsing, handling virtually every wand in the store a dozen times over, purchases were made and we headed around the rest of the stores. It wasn't long before the Hogwarts Castle show was on - this was fab, very atmospheric. No pics, my phone is awful in the dark.

We were pretty tired afterwards but quite peckish, so after catching the Hogwarts Express back to Universal we grabbed some pretzel bites and drinks. Then made our way back to the resort to hit the sack.

Day 5 RPR pool time, Bula Bar & Grill, Diagon Alley at night

We had a lovely morning relaxing by the pool. So quite early on, we had our pick of the loungers and opted for a beachy section. The boys get raucous in the pool and DD's hilarious, cheeky laugh can be heard for miles around I'm sure! I do my usual of having them lathered up in Factor 50 looking like Caspers. Fun times.

Lunch comprised of nachos, hot dogs, chicken tenders. A Fat Tyre beer for DH ...apt 😆...and a frozen something or other cocktail for me.

After showering and relaxing in the room and club lounge for a couple of hours we headed back into the park. Shrek4D, Rip Ride Rocket, Men in Black and the Simpsons area before heading into Diagon Alley at dusk. Just.The.Best! Went on Escape From Gringotts, noseyed in all the stores, purchased a few t-shirts and did LOTS of interactive wand spells.

Grabbed a few ice-creams from Florean Fortescue's...I wasn't keen last trip so passed on this. DH and the trio were all over them, though. I've-cream hounds ☺️

Waving those wands! Abracadab...no, wrong one... Stupefy! And all that 😁

If only you could go and visit a magic bank during your Florida hol... I'll take 1000 gringotts gold coins for 16 sets of Minnie ears, and a bottle of bubbles at California Grill, please Mr Goblin Cashier!

Rumbly tummys start to set in so we head to the exit and across to City Walk. Destination Margaritaville and some cheesy but fun Jimmy Buffet tunes. Fab burgers and chicken tenders... not gourmet but we do like a fat food fest in the air con in or near the parks. Good service and a really fun atmosphere. DS couldn't remember coming on our previous trip.

Days 7-11 Universal/IOA/RPR

On day 6 we started (as usual) with club lounge breakfast- bagels, cereals, tea/coffee, juices and fruit. We're big breakfast lovers so this generally kept us going until late lunch. We spent the morning at IOA before walking around to Universal. It was 38 degrees today with no cloud coverage - intense. Went on a few rides in the Suess area and DD sampled a cake pop..I had a nibble...was quite average tbh.

The boys and I rode the Hulk (absolutely loved it! ) DH then rode with the boys via parent swap. I do prefer the way this operates at Universal compared to Disney, in that you don't need to re-queue (albeit via fast pass) which means the waiting child and parent aren't waiting around for long.

We rode Kong, which we found to be underwhelming. Most impressive part was the animatronic King Kong at the end. The boys enjoyed Dr Doom..DH and I are not fans of drop rides so took DD into the nearby Spiderman merch store. Lots of cool collectors items in here. Whilst waiting we grabbed a strawberry slush from one of the kiosks and caught these folks (picture snapped from video)..which was fun to watch.

Once the boys were off we popped into a few more stores en route out of the park. DH spotted a brilliant die cast model of the Hogwarts Express. I offered to treat him to it but unfortunately it was out of stock..he was disappointed ☹️

I managed to track it down online and had it delivered home a few days after we returned. Probably just as well as the box would have taken up a fair bit of luggage space.

We returned to the resort for a swim before heading to the room to relax. Decided on an early off-site dinner. A firm local favourite is Maggianos at Pointe Orlando, so we headed there around 4.30. I took the wheel so that DH could have a few beers. No pics but (as we've always found here) the food was really good and the service was great. The kids opted for margarita flatbreads whilst DH and I both went for the chicken in marsala and mushroom sauce, with green beans and mash. The kids had a mixture of ice cream and teeny moon shaped lemon cookies. All were yum. Back to the hotel and into the pool again around 7pm. I can't recall the movie that was playing at the pool that evening but as usual the atmosphere was wonderful. So relaxing. We spent a few hours here until it got quite dark, before heading back to the room to flake out. Here's a pic I took earlier in the day, from floor 7 near the lifts. Another fantastic day.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

Great report - thanks
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by PixieBoot - 28 Jul 19 2:11 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great report!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List