Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Oct 10, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Third Time's A Charm - Day Five - Disney's Animal Kingdom

Yikes, I just realised how long it has been since I updated any of this!

Ok, so today is mum’s birthday, her 43rd one to be exact – she doesn’t read trip reports, so it’s safe to name a number! We woke up without an alarm at 6 am and surprise surprise – watched the weather channel *rolls eyes*. Now, mum’s day which given her choice would mean swimming with dolphins, but that is tomorrow, so she’s settling with mere animals.

We weren’t really hungry, so headed straight to Animal Kingdom, with a very short bus ride from Animal Kingdom Lodge. Through bag search, we went to the will call window to collect the $75 gift card as we had already brought tickets… well, it ended up being $79 because the ticket prices had increased. We went through the turnstiles and walked up to Discovery Island and waited for the opening ceremony – it was still before 9am and it was so hot that we were both sweating!

We made our way through the crowd to be on the right path to hot foot it to Kilimanjaro Safari’s and waited (im)patiently for the rope to drop – message to Disney, on a boiling hot day, the last place you want to be stood is in the sunshine under a faux rainforest canopy! I have been waiting for thirteen months to get that off of my chest, hence the three exclamation marks!

We were on the first vehicle for Kilimanjaro Safari’s and it was, obviously, a walk on, however when loading the vehicle the two people who were supposed to be on the vehicle behind us decided to push on the row with us because we were a two and so were they – wouldn’t really have minded except for the fact that we heard the cast member tell them to wait for the next vehicle and I was hot, and I hate being as hot as I was that morning.

In a surprise move, the lions are actually real! I had began to wonder after seeing hundreds after hundreds of pictures of those lions laid on that flipping rock, but I know from a tour that I went on in 2006 that it is air conditioned and to be honest, I felt like jumping out of that vehicle and laying on it myself!

Anyway, because it was so early in the day, we managed a very long safari with plenty of photo stops, but of course, every time I lined up a good picture either the animal or the driver decided to move. So this was about the only decent picture I had other than the two above!

I really wish however, that they would either get rid of or update the big/little red storyline as it’s a bit tired and I’ve only been on this ride three times including this ride, and I know it enough to be able to recite it!

We had decided the previous night that we would get in and do the main three rides and then do anything else which took our fancy after we’d had a re-coup over a cold drink, so we went straight over to Kali River Rapids which was yet again, a walk on – I could get used to the idea of rides being a walk on! The family that we shared our raft with had already been on once, and the CM had said to them that they could stay on if they wanted to.

We chatted to them as the ride went on and they took a picture of mum and me together, unfortunately, it didn’t come out too well! As we were about to get off, the CM said the same thing to us about staying on, so we did, and got even wetter than we already were, which to be honest was a god send because I was so hot.

We then went to Expedition Everest with the intention of getting a fast past and then a drink and a snack, but the standby line was only saying five minutes, and it was still only about quarter to ten – we’d rode twice by ten! Most of the waiting that we did was waiting for trains to unload at the other platform to empty and then come onto the loading bay.

I’d been eyeing up Primevil Whirl (I wrote whorl… this is what doing a dissertation on fingerprints does to you!) since reading about it in the Brits Guide, so that was our next stop, and probably our longest wait of the whole holiday other than TSM at DHS. Anyway, the ride was fun with a capital F, even though we had five total little brats in front of us, who kept pointing, laughing and staring at people in the line. The staring and pointing really annoyed me, especially as their mother didn’t say anything to them, and when I was that age, if either of my parents caught me looking at someone for longer than about ten seconds, I got told ‘it’s rude to stare…’ something which is still instilled in me today. I was getting grumpy at this stage and got annoyed with one of the brats when it stared at me and poked my tongue out at her, highly immature, yes, but also hugely satisfying!

Next stop was Flame Tree BBQ, where something highly strange and unique to that day happened. I ate a salad. In Disney World. Me. Mum had a pulled pork sandwich and we both had large drinks. We looked at the times board, and saw that The Lion King was about to start so we headed over there via the rest rooms. It was the first time that we had seen it, but then again, it was only the second time that we had been to Animal Kingdom.

I can’t really describe that show other than fabulous! I loved it! It began to rain after the show, so we headed back to the hotel for a relaxation session.

Being a pair of utter Disney freaks, on went the Disney Channel, and oh look JONAS was on, I like Joe Jonas, and he’s only one year and eleven months younger than me so I don’t feel wrong about it. It was a JONAS mini marathon, so I watched that whilst mum had a sleep – see, the old age is getting to her, awwwwww! That said, I did drop off about two episodes of JONAS later and woke up when Wizards of Waverly Place was on, before she had woken up… lazy bones!

Tomorrow was Discovery Cove, so we got our individual stuff together for that whilst the other showered and dressed, and all my stuff had been magically packed into the rucksack by the time I was out of the shower. Magic.

Dinner was at The Yachtsman, which we were very much looking forward to, as well as being most probably the best value meal on the Dining Plan!

We found the Yacht Club without too many difficulties and our first impressions were that we wanted to stay there in the future! Following asking for directions to The Yachtsman, we walked around, checked in and were given a pager; the waiting area was full so we walked around the grounds and had a quick look into Beaches and Cream. The pager went off, so we quickly went back to the restaurant to be seated.

The food only deserves one word of explanation to how good it was… AWESOME. We both agreed that the Porterhouse steaks that we had were the best we had ever had and that we would savour the taste for a long time!

For dessert, we both had the white chocolate puzzle pieces that you can paint – yes, the child’s option, but it’s Disney – we both had fun with the icing paint and got a little messy !

High: The Yachtsman
Low: Rude Children!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Another great day, that steak looks yummy, looking forward to eating there in a few weeks xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald88
Imagineer

Brilliant day, i love expedition everest. Those puzzles are so coool!
macdonald88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow - that dessert looks fun !
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

You got a couple of awsome picture of lions i am so going to have one of those desserts
xx
Old 17 Oct 10, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I want one of those puddings

Lovely day

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List