Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 12 Mar 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Anyone buy 4k movies?

I just ordered some 4k movies for a new oled tv coming tomorrow, but I have since read that few films are actually made in 4k and are therefore upscaled to 4k which is disappointing.

Some youtube videos I've watched don't seem to think there is generally much difference in blu ray or 4k movies (obviously some discs are better quality than others and it can of course be dependant on the quality of tv you are watching).

Does anyone buy 4k movies?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Yes, although we only have a 4k TV not OLED (jealous). For me its probably more of a novelty as the difference isn't huge over HD, but I do notice they look good.
Highly anticipating a 4k Bluray boxset of Game of Thrones when its all finished!

I think I saw a list online of the best looking 4k movies if you really want to unleash the potential of your TV (actually made in 4k as you say)

Edited at 09:37 AM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Yes, although we only have a 4k TV not OLED (jealous). For me its probably more of a novelty as the difference isn't huge over HD, but I do notice they look good.
Highly anticipating a 4k Bluray boxset of Game of Thrones when its all finished!
Thanks for that, although I can't watch game of thrones

Crazy how prices have come down with tvs. I bought a 46" panasonic plasma in 2011 for £1150, and I have a 65" Panasonic that I bought used off a chap who really cared for it, and that cost him about £4,000 maybe 5 years ago.

I bought a 65" panasonic oled tv (802) for £1,975 from richer sounds with 18 months interest free credit (and a 6 year warranty). It's good that something actually drops in price which is quite rare.

Edited at 09:46 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Thanks for that, although I can't watch game of thrones

Crazy how prices have come down with tvs. I bought a 46" panasonic plasma in 2011 for £1150, and I have a 65" Panasonic that I bought used off a chap who really cared for it, and that cost him about £4,000 maybe 5 years ago.

I bought a 65" panasonic oled tv (802) for £1,975 from richer sounds with 18 months interest free credit (and a 6 year warranty). It's good that something actually drops in price which is quite rare.
Wow thats a good price for Oled! Like you say its crazy how prices change. The first TV I bought when we moved out was a 32 inch very chunky flat Samsung... a couple of years ago we bought a 55 inch curved 4k Samsung and they cost about the same each time!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

whilst the amount of 4k content is finally growing at a reasonable rate, i'm sticking with 1080p for now... give me some decent bitrate 1080p content (like blu ray) over crappy bitrate streamed 4k stuff every time.

in a few years i may reconsider this position, but for now i'm happy where i am...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
whilst the amount of 4k content is finally growing at a reasonable rate, i'm sticking with 1080p for now... give me some decent bitrate 1080p content (like blu ray) over crappy bitrate streamed 4k stuff every time.

in a few years i may reconsider this position, but for now i'm happy where i am...
I agree with regards 4k streaming content. My son watched a 4k movie via Netflix on his 55" oled (using ethernet connection) and it was okay, but when he put the same film on blu ray on his tv, it was much better quality.

I think people are beng conned with streaming because despite being sold as 4k content, they don't stream it at a 4k rate.
Old 12 Mar 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

with a lot of the tv on demand content (think uktv/4od/iplayer/etc), youre lucky to get a decent 720p bitrate still, so whats the point in even bothering with 4k?!

broadband in the uk is starting to catch up now so things are slowly improving, but until the majority of the country are on 50mb or faster connections, i dont think the providers are in a rush to up the average bitrate quality for everyone yet...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
with a lot of the tv on demand content (think uktv/4od/iplayer/etc), youre lucky to get a decent 720p bitrate still, so whats the point in even bothering with 4k?!

broadband in the uk is starting to catch up now so things are slowly improving, but until the majority of the country are on 50mb or faster connections, i dont think the providers are in a rush to up the average bitrate quality for everyone yet...
My internet is dreadful and fibre etc not available. I live in Milton Keynes, not the back end of nowhere! Definitely no 4k streaming for me...
Old 12 Mar 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We have a QLED and we have watched 4K movies via prime, you can really tell the difference on ours. The colours are amazing!
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
You do know you need a 4K player to play the disc, I would recommend a Panasonic one but the player are expensive and so are the disc but the quality in 4K with hdr is amazing.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List