Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Apr 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
It’s a fact in as far as you know no one has been turned away. Do you have access to all entry status?

Probably no one has, but when someone gets stopped in the queue and asked further questions because they haven’t filled out their ESTA correctly, their response of “But Wooden Top from the Dibb says it doesn’t matter” won’t Way it with DHS.

BTW ChrisS has helped many people in the past in all areas on the Dibb ( inc me ). I’d take her advice anyday. In this case her advise follows the DHS regulations including some screenshots from others that show responses from DHS saying you should redo ESTA if you missed it out middle name in error. Now that is a printed fact!
Hey up Mannie, nowt like flogging a dense piece of wood... rulings, irrespective of how new, will be ignored by those who have difficulty processing/accepting a perfectly clear US immigration law, prefering to latch onto a DHS contradictory reply vs other DHS/CBP posted replies explaining the new rule. As you say the only fact is shown in the ESTA application.

The new ruling may never be enforced, or enforcement could be any time the US choose, it's their decision at days end. From my experience of a serious immigration issue, I hope it doesn't happen to others, altho there are exceptions
Old 16 Apr 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hey up Mannie, nowt like flogging a dense piece of wood... rulings, irrespective of how new, will be ignored by those who have difficulty processing/accepting a perfectly clear US immigration law, prefering to latch onto a DHS contradictory reply vs other DHS/CBP posted replies explaining the new rule. As you say the only fact is shown in the ESTA application.

The new ruling may never be enforced, or enforcement could be any time the US choose, it's their decision at days end. From my experience of a serious immigration issue, I hope it doesn't happen to others, altho there are exceptions
I decided to be nice as the poster is on holiday and didn’t want to cause upset at holiday time. But ... I think I’ll go back to 🤐 after this... Rethinks may happen when more questions asked at immigration and the drawer with the latex gloves and torch is opened

Edited at 06:48 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Wooden Top View Post
You choose to ignore the official response that another person got stating it doesn't matter. The issue isn't with me, the form isnt fit for purpose and leads to confusion, plus people are receiving different advice. I'm just providing facts. You can look at the CBP website and see entry refusal statistics. Good luck finding anybody that has been refused entry for no middle name. You can take whatever advice you want but I prefer facts. This will be my last comment about it whilst I get on with my life and enjoy the Florida sunshine today.
The response from early January. Things can change.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I decided to be nice as the poster is on holiday and didn’t want to cause upset at holiday time. But ... I think I’ll go back to 🤐 after this... Rethinks may happen when more questions asked at immigration and the drawer with the latex gloves and torch is opened
Unfortunately mannie, if enforced, and one is denied boarding due to travel doc name discrepancy, applying for ESTA at the airport may see the 'no instant ESTA/72 hour' rule kick in, denying boarding until the airline view the DHS/CBP approved marker.

Could the DHS/CBP clarify the name question? They may view they've 'more info ?' clarified and perhaps deem applicants who chose not to fully read an official document accept the consequences.

Many years ago I attended college on a refresher course, first morn the class was given a form to complete. In bold, capital letters the first line said 'read this form entirely before completion'... up come pens, down go heads and bar myself and a couple of others all began to complete. I read the form then sit back in my seat, the lass next to me is hissing that I need to complete, I just shrug. Gradually tuts and sighs begin, pens are thrown down as each person finally arrives at the last line... 'thank you for reading this form, you need not complete'.
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
OliMax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Completed our Esta in November and did not include middle names. No problem at immigration last week. Found out about the middle name ruling only a few days before travel and didn't want to take the risk of making a mistake on doing ESTAs again. However if we travel to USA again will redo ESTAs because you just don't know when they will enforce the middle name ruling.

Mum's 50th Disney California Style 2022!
MaxiPasty's 10th and Daddy's 50th Disney Easter
Olliebob's 10th Birthday Celebration Universal 2017!
OliMax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Reneejbeatte
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by OliMax View Post
Completed our Esta in November and did not include middle names. No problem at immigration last week. Found out about the middle name ruling only a few days before travel and didn't want to take the risk of making a mistake on doing ESTAs again. However if we travel to USA again will redo ESTAs because you just don't know when they will enforce the middle name ruling.
Thanks for this info, we fly tomorrow and I did ours in Feb without middle names because it said first given name, only read this a few days ago too

2020 All Stars 🌟 🎵 Avanti Resort 2019, DLP 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2017, Art of Animation 2015, International Palms 2013, clarion LBV 2012, Regal Sun 2010, Newport Bay DLP 2009, All Star Movies 2008, Caribbean Beach 2006, Best Western Plaza 2005
Reneejbeatte is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have to say I find this whole thing very strange in that there seems to be very little about the subject. You would have thought that something as significant as this would have made all the major news outlets in a big way given the enormous number of people it could affect. It is the sort of thing all the travel programmes and slots would be screaming about. But nothing apart from on here and a few other non mainstream places. Nothing the press.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cooltails
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I have to say I find this whole thing very strange in that there seems to be very little about the subject. You would have thought that something as significant as this would have made all the major news outlets in a big way given the enormous number of people it could affect. It is the sort of thing all the travel programmes and slots would be screaming about. But nothing apart from on here and a few other non mainstream places. Nothing the press.
I've googled, searched all over and nothing anywhere. Been twice this year and no issues or questiones with middle names missing. There's nothing anywhere about an official change as far as I can see and here was the first and pretty much only place i've seen it. V odd indeed.
Cooltails is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

my lad would of been devastated if we was sent back for $14 not worth it
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cooltails View Post
I've googled, searched all over and nothing anywhere. Been twice this year and no issues or questions with middle names missing. There's nothing anywhere about an official change as far as I can see and here was the first and pretty much only place i've seen it. V odd indeed.
Hi Cooltails, one may only become aware if they read the entire ESTA application, including hovering over each ? for important additional/updated info. Whilst the US may state it's the travellers responsibility to thoroughly read the application, it could've helped if change was shown in the question, ie: 'given name(s) as per passport'. Unsurprisingly Googling throws up websites advising former requirements of no middle name. Apparently the middle name requirement is standard, but was never enforced until, allegedly, Oct 2018. Perhaps entering middle names may help to reduce numbers of innocent pax caught up in the 'same name/no fly list'.

Currently the DHS/CBP are not name enforcing. Dibber Gillian asked if/when they'd enforce but received no answer. Perhaps they're leaving time before enforcing so applicants can make themselves rule au fait and, if they wish, renew ESTA to reflect full names as per pp.