Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 Apr 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiffio View Post
We finally got a FP for 7dmt for this year, I’m betting it’s pretty much the as thunder mountain, so why the crazy queues for it? One good thing is the 2 hour wait for these rides keep the queues shorter for the other rides and the park a bit clearer!
Mine Train is one of those sweet spot rides where it's a rollercoaster that the whole family can ride together. You can easily imagine kids, parents and grandparents all riding together.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Reading this thread, I feel happy that we have always been able to go at ‘quieter’ times of year and never queued longer than 20 minutes for anything (and that was when Toy Story Mania was new and we loved and still love it). Granted we always stay on site and get in the park first thing.
We go in 3 weeks and are only doing WDW for the first week of three in Florida. I have managed to FP all of the rides that are new to us and we will just then do anything that doesn’t have a long wait.

I really feel for those of you with young families and who are tied to the busiest times, it must either be like planning a military campaign or just extremely frustrating

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Reading this thread, I feel happy that we have always been able to go at ‘quieter’ times of year and never queued longer than 20 minutes for anything (and that was when Toy Story Mania was new and we loved and still love it). Granted we always stay on site and get in the park first thing.
We go in 3 weeks and are only doing WDW for the first week of three in Florida. I have managed to FP all of the rides that are new to us and we will just then do anything that doesn’t have a long wait.

I really feel for those of you with young families and who are tied to the busiest times, it must either be like planning a military campaign or just extremely frustrating
If you focus Disney and stay on-site, doing that even at busy times certainly seems manageable - more than 1 day per park would allow you more than 3 early fastpass reservations and not every ride needs them. The difficulty comes for people who aren't exclusively visiting Disney and still have to travel during school time.
We didn't do too bad on our 2017 trip which was exactly as above, but we bailed BTMR and Seven Dwarfs because we weren't prepared to wait several hours for either. The worst queue we actually sat through was R'n'RC at 82 mins which was tolerable (though only posted 65 else we might not have bothered!)
Old 8 Apr 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We used to go end jan/early feb and the queues were easily manageable. I wouldn't queue for anything over 45 minutes. We are going again in July for the first time in 6 years. I also think this will be the last time I go. We are only going this year as I promised DD a long time ago that we would go when she finished her exams and now I have to make good on that promise.

My daughter went to Thorpe Park last year with her school and had to wait 90-120 minutes for the 3 rides she managed to get on in the day. Maybe Disney lines aren't so bad after all?

We went to DLP last August and it was busy but not too bad. The busiest ride was BTRR and the queues got up to 75 minutes. We also spent the day at Phantasialand near Cologne the summer before. The queues there were virtually non-existent except for the brand new coaster they had opened about 2 weeks earlier where the queue was about 45 minutes. Of course, the fact that the weather was pretty miserable probably kept the crowd numbers down but it was a fantastic day out. Maybe I'll stick to those parks in the future. I really can't justify the cost v experience of Disney in Florida any more
Old 8 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

What Thorpe Park has that Disney does not, however, is FasTrack. I also visited TP in 2017 during a Saturday Fright Night event, certainly one of the busier days. A £40 Fastrack ticket got us priority access to all 5 coasters, and all at night too. They were posted 55-90 mins each but with Fastrack we queued just over an hour for all 5 combined, saving us almost 5 hours - or double the benefit we got from our Universal Express passes earlier in the year that cost almost twice that much.

Even so, I'd be more willing to queue 90 mins for The Swarm than I was 70 mins for Pirates of the Caribbean. As long as the real world queue time doesn't tip 3 figures, a good coaster is usually worth waiting for. There are very few rides at WDW that fall into that category.

I suppose the question is, given how expensive Disney World already is, how expensive would you have to price paid FP+ for them to actually work?

Edited at 01:47 PM.
ratmanscoop is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
My daughter went to Thorpe Park last year with her school and had to wait 90-120 minutes for the 3 rides she managed to get on in the day. Maybe Disney lines aren't so bad after all?
When you consider that the parks at Disney get something like 5 times as many visitors as the UK parks get and, other than MK, generally have less rides I'm sometimes surprised the queues at Disney aren't longer than they are.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Me too but I imagine that may have something to do with there being more 'non-ride' content at Disney parks than there are in a lot of other places. A large number of attractions at Disney World aren't rides, whereas in a lot of other parks, there's very little else around.
Old 8 Apr 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ratmanscoop View Post
Having another big ride in the form of Tron will help a bit but by the time that opens, I wonder if organic growth will have negated the capacity benefit it will provide.
Yeah, I'm not sure opening the new Tron ride will help. If you assume an hourly capacity of 1000 guests per hour, then a constant 4 hour queue for Tron will soak up around 4000 guests at any one time. I suspect the new Tron coaster itself will attract that many extra people, not including the usual annual increases between now and 2021. As you say, the extra capacity will be negated by the extra crowds.

Originally Posted by ratmanscoop View Post
It may be a gross oversimplification, but the wait time issues with most of the other Disney attractions that struggle seem like they could be solved by not being so stingy with the number of theatres / pods in use.
I agree that Disney should employ more CMs and run their rides at full capacity. That's probably the only way to impact wait times. Although there's a limit to the benefit this provides and it would require Disney to spend more money (= make less profit and thus spend less money on new stuff in the parks).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Even with discounted multi-day tickets, between park tickets, parking and the odd bits of food we consume at Disney, it's about a £100 per person per day affair. I imagine those saving more by focusing on Disney for all 10+ days of a holiday would prop up that revenue by staying on-site. I find it hard to believe they can't still pull decent margins with a few extra staff / ride and show theaters where the ride design lends itself to them. Obviously with rollercoasters it's a bit more complicated.

The other gripe is of course opening hours. The only park open super late is the only one I don't really care about staying late at. Having the opportunity to mill around Epcot or Animal Kingdom at 11pm-midnight is something I'd definitely like to experience.
Old 8 Apr 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
michaelb136
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

As TimTracker has said quite a few times lately, is it time for a fifth gate?
michaelb136 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List