Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 22 Jan 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Riviera Sales Disappointing According to Detailed Analysis

According to Skier Pete who has done some very detailed analysis and graphs over on the DVC Fan website, Riviera sales are not that good.

Whilst DVC sales are good, what he is saying his analysis shows is that when they stopped selling Copper Creek, Riviera did not pick up the numbers, as all other resorts have done when the older ‘new’ resort sold out.

Instead, people have flocked to buying older ‘sold out’ resorts which have kept the numbers up, but of course, DVD doesn’t make anything like the profit from reselling sold out resorts, so Skier Pete is speculating that DVD will be very disappointed.

He speculates reasons- first is that it wasn’t built and people will be holding off buying until they’ve seen it. He wonders what the next lot of figures will show now it is open. Personally I think he may have got the importance of that wrong, because if there is pent up demand and people have been waiting to see it, then sales figures when it opens are bound to be very strong. It’s also just had masses of publicity, much of it free in social media and YouTube, as it opened, which will die away. Thus whilst I’m no expert, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis personally on the immediate next set of figures for long term outlook.

He thinks though the resale restrictions are possibly hurting sales.

He says in his analysis, if it continued selling at this rate, it would take 5 years to sell out.

What are your thoughts? My personal thoughts are I would not buy with the resale restrictions- DVC/ DVD was already a huge cash cow, and I’m not prepared to be the fall guy on my resale value so they can try and make even more money. I personally, and this is a matter of taste, not a fan of Riviera at all, but many seem to be. Another issue for me is I think the points per night are just way too high to justify what is on offer.

Reflections I think could be more my cup of tea, and despite saying ‘never again’ a 100-150 add on could one day be considered- but not with those restrictions.
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

The restrictions and the points cost would rule it out completely for me. I love that we can stay at any resort. Why would you buy without that perk?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, whilst all sold out resorts have been more in demand (your point I am sure Bev- people want to be able to sell on something where buyers can sleep around) Saratoga sales have gone off the charts- wonder why that is? Refurb maybe?
Strangely doesn’t seem to have resulted in the resale price shooting up which is what you’d expect in a demand and supply model.
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

DVD must be disappointed by that.

I’m trying to think when the last standalone DVC was built? Eagle Pine got binned (arguably the economy though) and SSR had existing infrastructure to reuse.

Personally I’m not keen on much about the Riviera, though the be fair it opened after I’d left WDW it was almost complete. I would absolutely not buy there due to the restrictions and I’ve been surprised people are ok with those.
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, whilst all sold out resorts have been more in demand (your point I am sure Bev- people want to be able to sell on something where buyers can sleep around) Saratoga sales have gone off the charts- wonder why that is? Refurb maybe?
Strangely doesn’t seem to have resulted in the resale price shooting up which is what you’d expect in a demand and supply model.
I think the refurb has a lot to do with it, it's been a very long time coming, but it has been beautifully done and the resort is looking fresh and smart, for the price I think it's a winner.
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would never even consider buying there for the reasons already given
Expensive, points heavy and too many restrictions regarding the new type of contracts going forward.

But there is one big issue for me that puts me off 'high rise' buildings

I was brought up on US Motels and like to park the car outside a 1 or 2 storey building. I refuse to spend a day sunbathing then have to walk into a 'hotel' and get in a lift up to my floor whilst I am possibly dripping wet from the pool!

Not fair on others and embarrassing for me.

The nail in the coffin for me with Riviera is the location. Too near the road and those god awful gondolas rattling around that Owners I now know have to subsidise.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'd say that there are more than a few that haven't thought about the Resale aspect, lets face it the Reps aren't going to push that plus "we" all sort of think that we will see it the 50 years!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Mmm many seem to share my thoughts. So I’m not the only one. I’m sure we have some members on here who love it though as on social media it’s had a lot of positive feedback, and I think most of us would agree the rooms are lovely. Does anyone who likes it have a view on here about the restrictions- were they considered and if yes, does it bother you and will it or has it put you off?
I’m interested in whether anyone who loves the resort likes it enough to put the resale restrictions aside or they just don’t care about them anyway.

Will be really interested in seeing where the sales are at next autumn. Wouldn’t actually surprise me if it picks up and does really well.

Many buyers won’t realise there’s even a resale market never mind understand restrictions. One major thing in its favour is it has thousands of potential new customers from Caribbean Beach, the values and even travelling between Epcot and HWS passing straight past it everyday- also with audible announcements in the Gondola that it is the new DVC resort. That is a timeshare salesperson’s dream and must drive lots of queries and custom.
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We added on at Riviera in November. I like the style of the resort and I'm really looking forward to staying there later in the year.

I wanted a direct add-on and couldn't get anything else sub $200 with the right use year. I'm not overly concerned about the resale restrictions. We have a VGF contract which would go for more than we paid if we needed to sell some points. My view beyond that is that any decrease in value is part of the cost of having owned, the same as buying a new car. I didn't buy either contract with a view to recouping in full of we ever needed to sell. We have a good amount of flexibility with our points now and can trade up to 1 beds comfortably which should limit impact of resale owners blocking out Riviera studios.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
We added on at Riviera in November. I like the style of the resort and I'm really looking forward to staying there later in the year.

I wanted a direct add-on and couldn't get anything else sub $200 with the right use year. I'm not overly concerned about the resale restrictions. We have a VGF contract which would go for more than we paid if we needed to sell some points. My view beyond that is that any decrease in value is part of the cost of having owned, the same as buying a new car. I didn't buy either contract with a view to recouping in full of we ever needed to sell. We have a good amount of flexibility with our points now and can trade up to 1 beds comfortably which should limit impact of resale owners blocking out Riviera studios.
Sounds like you thought it out well Hollie.