Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 31 Jan 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
staffiedog
Gone all Goofy

Ulcerative Colitis

Hi All

I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. A couple of weeks ago I spent a week in hospital on iv steroids and am now at home on steroid tablets.

We are going to Florida mid July and wanted some advice for travelling while out there and am very conscious of it flaring up again.

We have travel insurance and prior to my hospital admission, I did put colitis on travel insurance form as I have suffered colitis in the past but never been officially diagnosed.

I have heard that you can get a disability pass at Disney to avoid waiting in long queues in case of urgency for the toilet. Do Universal have a similar system?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
staffiedog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I would advise your insurance that you have had a hospital stay & been diagnosed with ulcerated colitis.
My sister in law suffers with this, she is often quite poorly with it and generally needs steroids when it flares up.
So I hope you are ok as I know how bad it can be.
Sorry, no idea about the pass at universal. We just go early and get on whatever rides we can. We also can’t queue due to health issues.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
staffiedog
Gone all Goofy

Thanks for this advice it is very helpful. I will definitely contact travel insurance company as I don't want to go out there and find out I am not covered. I am starting to find it can be hard to plan things with this condition.
staffiedog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by staffiedog View Post
Hi All

I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. A couple of weeks ago I spent a week in hospital on iv steroids and am now at home on steroid tablets.

We are going to Florida mid July and wanted some advice for travelling while out there and am very conscious of it flaring up again.

We have travel insurance and prior to my hospital admission, I did put colitis on travel insurance form as I have suffered colitis in the past but never been officially diagnosed.

I have heard that you can get a disability pass at Disney to avoid waiting in long queues in case of urgency for the toilet. Do Universal have a similar system?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Greetings from another Ulcerative Colitis warrior

A couple of general comments first of all: the period just before and just after diagnosis are often the most turbulent; there will likely be future flare ups, but there will, hopefully, also be extended periods of remission. You will no doubt come to understand the condition better, acquire coping skills and learn how to live with the condition. It can certainly make certain situations more challenging, and certain aspects of travel will demand a degree of planning, but it's doable - and can be enjoyable!

As mentioned already, you'll need to contact your insurance company and advise them of your diagnosis. They are particularly interested in recent periods of hospitalisation, medication you're taking and any episodes of bowel obstruction in the last 2 years. There will likely be an additional premium, but once things settle down, the premium will be relatively small.

I felt well enough last year during our Disney visit not to ask for a disability pass. Depending on how I feel this year, I may or may not use a pass - but it's good to know it's there! I'm sorry I can't advise about Universal, we did a Disney only trip last year, and are going back for more this year. Take a look at Universal's website or perhaps get in touch with their guest services department.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have, and feel free to message me if you prefer - although I personally make a point about speaking/writing about this condition in public in order to break, what I consider to be, one of the last taboos in the 21st century
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
staffiedog
Gone all Goofy

Thanks so much for your advice. It is very good to hear from someone else with the same condition. Your tips have been very useful particularly with the travel insurance.

On a positive note, I am now under the IBD team at the hospital and I am being monitored for my condition. The doctors are looking at putting me on an immune suppressant and hopefully now have a good few months to get this situation under control.

It is good to have a great family holiday to look forward to! Thanks
Old 31 Jan 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by staffiedog View Post
Thanks so much for your advice. It is very good to hear from someone else with the same condition. Your tips have been very useful particularly with the travel insurance.

On a positive note, I am now under the IBD team at the hospital and I am being monitored for my condition. The doctors are looking at putting me on an immune suppressant and hopefully now have a good few months to get this situation under control.

It is good to have a great family holiday to look forward to! Thanks
Enjoy the planning and best of luck with your treatment - Ulcerative Colitis can be quite the roller coaster!
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Universal have the Assistance Pass (AP).

Same really as Disney.
You get an actual card though that you take up to the ride attendant and they give you a return time.

I say from experience, they are more reluctant to give the AP than Disney are. I feel they ask more questions, legitimately, without asking for proof.

SeaWorld & Busch Gardens also have a pass if you are going there.

For UC you qualify.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

If you search in the 'Special Needs' forum there are previous posts regarding coping with IBD, Crohns and Colitis.

I would advise joining Crohn's and Colitis UK. You receive a pack including a Can't wait card and a Radar key.

For your holiday take look at the 'IBD passport' website for helpful information.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post
If you search in the 'Special Needs' forum there are previous posts regarding coping with IBD, Crohns and Colitis.

I would advise joining Crohn's and Colitis UK. You receive a pack including a Can't wait card and a Radar key.

For your holiday take look at the 'IBD passport' website for helpful information.
Thank you for this... I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and struggling at the moment, I have just joined Crohn’s and colitis UK as I think having the can’t wait card and Radar key will help me mentally as well as physically. I didn’t even know about it until I saw this post.
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rockycat View Post
Thank you for this... I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and struggling at the moment, I have just joined Crohn’s and colitis UK as I think having the can’t wait card and Radar key will help me mentally as well as physically. I didn’t even know about it until I saw this post.
No problem. I'm glad I could help someone. I've had Crohn's 20 years and still struggle. I've rarely used the cant wait card or key but it's good to know I have them in an emergency.

Hope you get settled soon with the right medication for you.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List