Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Aug 15, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Universal / Disneyland CA - weekend

Would the parks be much busier at a weekend than midweek?

Any ideas?
Old 6 Aug 15, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Generally, because (unlike Orlando) it's visited a lot by locals.
Old 6 Aug 15, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It can actually have the opposite effect at Disneyland sometimes if the lowest tier of AP's are blocked out at the weekend. Depends on the dates and black out's.
Old 7 Aug 15, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ben1993 View Post
It can actually have the opposite effect at Disneyland sometimes if the lowest tier of AP's are blocked out at the weekend. Depends on the dates and black out's.
True! But looking at Mike's countdown, I don't think that period is when he's visiting.
Old 7 Aug 15, 04:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi Mike. I'm a Disneyland annual passholder, so I'm there a couple times a month on average. Weekends are busier than mid-week most times of the year (except for summer when it's busy all the time!)...and Sundays are the busiest of the weekend days. A lot of the locals have passes and the most popular pass has a blockout of Saturdays, which means they all show up on Sunday. Universal Studios is always busier on weekends.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 15, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Hi Mike. I'm a Disneyland annual passholder, so I'm there a couple times a month on average. Weekends are busier than mid-week most times of the year (except for summer when it's busy all the time!)...and Sundays are the busiest of the weekend days. A lot of the locals have passes and the most popular pass has a blockout of Saturdays, which means they all show up on Sunday. Universal Studios is always busier on weekends.
Thank you Aims.

It is looking likely that we will be visiting Universal on a Sunday. Hopefully new Harry Potter section will be open by then and take a lot of the crowds.

We will be visiting Disneyland Thursday through Monday.

However, this will be August next year so guess it will be busy all the time anyway.
Old 7 Aug 15, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
However, this will be August next year so guess it will be busy all the time anyway.
Unfortunately so! My tip for summer is to get an early start. Be there at opening, you'll be able to get quite a bit done in the first three hours. Crowds seem to build between 11-noon. Grab fastpasses for the afternoon or evening hours- except for Radiator Springs Racers. You'll want to get those first thing after park opening, as they usually run out by late morning.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 15, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Unfortunately so! My tip for summer is to get an early start. Be there at opening, you'll be able to get quite a bit done in the first three hours. Crowds seem to build between 11-noon. Grab fastpasses for the afternoon or evening hours- except for Radiator Springs Racers. You'll want to get those first thing after park opening, as they usually run out by late morning.
Thank you again...

Well we are use to early starts with Disney, and with staying onsite we would be making use of the extra magic hour.

Like with the Universal on the Sunday, we would be staying in Universal Hilton (hopefully). So will get in there early, get as much done as possible... maybe have lunch then walk back to the hotel for an hour or so by the pool, then back a little later in the afternoon for the rest of the evening. Miss the 'busier' hours...

Do you think one day in Universal, and 4 nights in Disneyland is enough for these parks?

Edited at 09:25 AM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 15, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Do you think one day in Universal, and 4 nights in Disneyland is enough for these parks?
Yes, but the only thing I might wonder about is if Harry Potter World is open, obviously that would make the park a little busier than average. As it is now, one day is usually enough for Universal, but you might want to leave it open to spend a second day there because of Harry Potter- and everything I've heard here is saying a spring opening. If it comes down to that, three nights at Disneyland should also be enough to cover it well.

Old 7 Aug 15, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Yes, but the only thing I might wonder about is if Harry Potter World is open, obviously that would make the park a little busier than average. As it is now, one day is usually enough for Universal, but you might want to leave it open to spend a second day there because of Harry Potter- and everything I've heard here is saying a spring opening. If it comes down to that, three nights at Disneyland should also be enough to cover it well.
Thank you again... I have noticed ATD do a ticket which gives you a 2nd day free, so we could always go the next morning (Monday) if there is anything we missed, before travelling over to Las Vegas.

But to be honest, I am hoping that HP may attract a lot of the crowds if new. We have done the Orlando one a few times, and whilst I would like to walk round it, I am not fussed on going on FJ or FOTH again, especially if they are the same as Orlando.

Hoping because of this the rest of the park may be a little quieter?

I have also noticed the blackout dates for Annual pass... do these tend to be all the way through July do you know?

Edited to add... we have done all of the attractions that are based in Orlando aswell except for Transofrmers (not been since it opened). Therefore, we would look to prioritise the attractions we have done before.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread