Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 May 11, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Matt & Sam's Orlando Adventure 2010! - Day 10 - TL

Sam and Matt's Orlando Adventure! – Day 10 – Typhoon Lagoon

Not too many pics today I'm afraid, but loads for Epcot on Day 11!

After the lie-ins we'd allowed ourselves for the past two days, getting up at 6.30am was painful! However, today was Typhoon Lagoon, and with the weather now scorching, we wanted to get there for rope drop and beat the inevitable midday crowds.

After breakfast/P20 smothering/general bag packing, we set off for TL at 8.10 in bright sunshine, a nice contrast to the rain and drizzle than began our day at Blizzard Beach!

The gates had opened by the time we arrived, so we grabbed a locker and loitered for the 15 minutes til rope drop, before dashing to secure two sunbeds by the wave pool with our towels. Yes, I know, people that reserve beds with towels are annoying, but everyone was doing it and we missed out at BB. Plus, after dragging our asses out of bed so early, we earned it!

We headed straight to Crush n Gusher, a new one for both of us, and did all three rides one after the other. Absolutely brilliant! We barely queued and the coasters were so much fun – although we did both bash our bums on some of the drops and I screamed like a banshee all the way round. Poor Matt.

Next were Mayday Falls and Keelhaul Falls – Mayday was great fun, and I sped down, whereas Keehaul was the tamer of the two. The cold water before you go into the cave was a shock though! Matt managed to set off down Mayday falls facing backwards, and couldn't turn round despite trying to from start to finish!

Gang Plank Falls was great too, and Matt and I got a huge raft to ourselves! I did my usual trick of completely failing to climb out gracefully at the end, instead opting for a kamikaze move that saw me simply fall out. Classy.

Matt was goading me to take on Humunga Kowabunga, and after surviving the Slush Gusher at BB I felt a tad braver. Didn't stop me screaming all the way down though! It wasn't as extreme as SG, but still resulted in a massive wedgie!

Unfortunately the Storm Slides were closed, so we headed to Shark Reef, the last thing on the list before the lazy river. Despite having both done it before, neither of us was ready for the icy cold water! A Dad in the queue made us snigger by lying blatantly to his kids: "Guys, its just fish, no sharks! You just see tiny little fish!" It worked for his daughter, but his son bailed as we approached the front of the queue.

It's a great experience though and I managed to get a good luck at most of the fish up close. The sharks lurked towards the bottom but its still surreal to swim so close to them! Matt loved it too, despite his snorkel filling towards the end, causing him to cough and splutter his way to shore for the last metre or so. I didn't laugh, honest.

The park was filling quick, and with everything done and dusted we decided to head back to our sun loungers for a break. I nipped back to the locker to grab my bag for sun scream and some money, and brought back some mini donuts and chocolate sauce. We paid for six, but got a bonus seventh donut! They were so yummy, if not a bit messy.

After a bit of sunbathing (interrupted by me, and I get bored and burn to easily), we went into the wave pool – those waves were far stronger than I remembered! How I survived them at 13 and 16 I have no idea, as everyone one launched me like a cheap football!

We mucked about with the waterproof disposable camera, trying to take pictures of the wave on impact – cue both camera and Matt being half drowned! It was so funny.

All that was left was a relaxing lap around the lazy river. We started on separate rings, but managed to snag a ring for two shortly afterwards and happily floated around. It was much busier than the one at BB due to the better weather, so at times it was more like an obstacle course! But it was lovely all the same.

When we made it back to the loungers, we decided to spend the afternoon at Orange Lake's pool (largely because there was a bar next to it!), and headed out of TL at about lunchtime. I do enjoy the water parks, but they get so crowded from 12pm onwards I figured it would be nicer (and quieter) to do some swimming back at the resort.

On the way back we called at a Super Target for beer and cereal (what a combination!) and grabbed some wedges and chicken tenders for lunch. I indulged in a few trashy US gossip mags (they're so much more fun than the likes of Heat, American journalists are shamless!) to enjoy by the pool. I pestered for a bridal magazine, but Matt, clearly suddenly terrified of my potential bridezilla, told me to get the National Enquirer instead. Tut.

We ate the chicken, wedges and remaining pizza for lunch at the villa before setting up base by the Orange Lake pools. We opted for the smaller of the two pools as there were games going on in the larger one, only to find some bizarre bingo game (it was bingo, there were numbers being read, but after that none of it made sense!) going on there. We decided bingo was less annoying than screaming kids (sorry parents!) and grabbed a couple of sunbeds.

The rest of the afternoon was a mixture of swimming, reading, playing cards and sunbathing. I ordered a frozen cocktail which was the strongest I've ever had, transforming me into some tipsy poolside lush, while Matt stuck to coke and worked on his tan. I couldn't bear the direct sun, it was so hot, so I hid under an umbrella.

At around 5pm we went back to the villa to shower and change before decided to try out Bahama Breeze. We reached the one on International Drive at about 7.45pm, and were seated straight away. The cocktails menu was huge! I opted for a Bahama Mamarita and Matt chose iced tea. The cocktail never seemed to end – I was drinking but it never went down in the glass, or so it seemed. So tasty.

I opted for the Jamaican jerk pasta, choosing the smaller portion on the recommendation of the waiter, who said the larger portion was huge. He was right – the so-called 'smaller' person was what I'd expect a large in the UK to be like! Matt chose seafood paella, and both dishes were lovely, and so filling!

Despite the large mains, we couldn't resist the dessert menu, as everything looked so yummy! After an agonising decision process, Matt ordered the Key Lime Pie, and I opted for the Bananas Supreme. They were amazing, and enormous!

(The boy started scoffing before I could take a picture! Tut.)

They were so good we were determined to finish them, and managed to eat the last mouthful before admitting defeat, they were simply too delicious to waste. I've not noted the bill amount, but I remember thinking it was extremely reasonable for the quality (and amount) of food we had. I loved the restaurant's atmosphere too, it was definitely one of the favourites of the holiday.

We waddled back to the car, and managed to terrify a family by pressing the horn button on the key fob by accident - all the lights started flashing and the horn started beeping as they walked past our car! We got a little lost heading back to the I4, but the trusty Mapman's map saved the day (yet again!). On the way back to Orange Lake there was a huge lightning storm, but oddly no thunder or rain at all. It lit up the entire sky, and was pretty scary while we were driving – but once we got back to the villa we happily watched the flashes bursting across the sky. After a Bud Lite and a bit of late-night TV, we headed to bed, to rest for our first Epcot day tomorrow.

Edited at 06:22 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Have to agree with you about the waterparks, we love to get in for rope drop and then head of after lunch.

Bahama Breeze is fab and those puddings look delicious
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 11, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chaffey View Post
Have to agree with you about the waterparks, we love to get in for rope drop and then head of after lunch.
That is our general strategy for all parks as we stay onsite! Then afternoon around the pool, early dinner and then back into the parks for the evening/night!

And Sam, thanks for posting more, but now you've posted 2 in a day, you'll have to carry on!

How are the wedding plans going?
Old 1 May 11, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
That is our general strategy for all parks as we stay onsite! Then afternoon around the pool, early dinner and then back into the parks for the evening/night!

And Sam, thanks for posting more, but now you've posted 2 in a day, you'll have to carry on!

How are the wedding plans going?
Ha thanks Zeebee, I intend to start day 11 now! Matt is watching the Snooker World Championship Final so I thought I'd get cracking!

The wedding plans are coming along great, so much to think about so weddng forums have overtaken my usual Dibbing time! But we're planning a California-moon, so I'll be browsing the West Coast section soon!

We have a venue, we've booked a brilliant photographer and I've found my florist - so far so good!
Old 1 May 11, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Oooh, shall keep my eyes peeled for more whilst I watch whatever is on the TV and Dibb a little (lot)!

Glad to hear the plans are coming along well, I see you as being really organised in a Monica-esque manner with a folder! (That is a compliment from me as Monica is my fave TV character!)
Old 2 May 11, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 11, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Great read off to read about Epcot.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 11, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Another great day Sam! Very impressed with your ability to remember so much even though it was nearly a year ago! Your report is one of my faves, pleeaaaasseee finish it
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 11, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a really great day and the cocktail looks divine

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List