Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jan 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Oh I’m at expert at DVC, far from expert at this. So I spend around 40k+ a year on my credit card (never buy anything cash, put all holidays on it, DVC dues, business expenses etc) would I be better doing this than getting 400-500 cash back? This would take some ‘selling’ to Mrs YT. Which credit card would I get and how many points would I get for this and what could I get for those points for flights in summer holidays and/ or Xmas? Sorry for so many questions. I’ve just been looking at this £120 pa Virgin card.
Still angry with myself for losing 40k Miles if I could have used them. But I gave up and then forgot.
My approach would be to get the AMEX rewards platinum, meet the £4k bonus spend requirement then cancel for a pro-rata refund of the £575 annual fee. You'll get around 34,000 miles.
OR
Alternatively there is the AMEX gold reward card which has no fee in the first year but you only get 13,000 miles, assuming you only spend enough to meet the bonus criteria. Then cancel the card.
OR
If you have a limited company, get the AMEX business platinum card as it gives 46,000 miles on bonus plus minimum requirement expenditure. Again, cancel the card.

Next take out the VA+ credit card with bonus, and then use that ongoing. It's 1.5 miles per £ and double with VA spend. You should also get a bonus voucher each annum which allows 1 economy to PE upgrade reward for free, worth 20,000 miles

Re-apply for the AMEX card when you can to get another bonus. 2 years for non-business cards, 6 months for business. You could expedite the process by applying for your wife as its limited per person and not household.

You don't get the companion vouchers with the amex preferred reward cards.

Peak reward requirements for MAN MCO are 45k Eco, 65k PE, 115k UC per person round trip plus taxes.

Edited at 08:56 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
My approach would be to get the AMEX rewards platinum, meet the £4k bonus spend requirement then cancel for a pro-rata refund of the £575 annual fee. You'll get around 34,000 miles.
OR
Alternatively there is the AMEX gold reward card which has no fee in the first year but you only get 13,000 miles, assuming you only spend enough to meet the bonus criteria. Then cancel the card.
OR
If you have a limited company, get the AMEX business platinum card as it gives 46,000 miles on bonus plus minimum requirement expenditure. Again, cancel the card.

Next take out the VA+ credit card with bonus, and then use that ongoing. It's 1.5 miles per £ and double with VA spend. You should also get a bonus voucher each annum which allows 1 economy to PE upgrade reward for free, worth 20,000 miles

Re-apply for the AMEX card when you can to get another bonus. 2 years for non-business cards, 6 months for business. You could expedite the process by applying for your wife as its limited per person and not household.

You don't get the companion vouchers with the amex preferred reward cards.

Peak reward requirements for MAN MCO are 45k Eco, 65k PE, 115k UC per person round trip plus taxes.
Wow you know your stuff eaglesrest. Just got in from work at 9.30 and up at 5.30 for a flight (alas not Virgin) not sure I’ll have time to do all this but I’ll have a think, thanks for the info!
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Wow you know your stuff eaglesrest. Just got in from work at 9.30 and up at 5.30 for a flight (alas not Virgin) not sure I’ll have time to do all this but I’ll have a think, thanks for the info!
It's the yorkshire in me. Anything for a bargain
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Question eagles, if I apply and have wife as a secondary card holder, can we cancel then reapply as the wife and have me a secondary card holder?
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Don't forget that every application for a new credit card goes on you credit reference file which may be relevant under certain circumstances.

eaglesrest - are there any restrictions on applying for repeat Amex cards - for example waiting a certain number of months between applications. Perhaps you could start a thread under General Chat to develop this idea a bit more for the DIBB as you have a wealth of information about this It's great you can help everyone.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Question eagles, if I apply and have wife as a secondary card holder, can we cancel then reapply as the wife and have me a secondary card holder?
I presume you mean, can we run two accounts? Yes you can, it's exactly what we do as that way we both get rewards each year.

Obviously it's two lots of annual fees if you go for the reward+ account but for us it's worth it as we have a household account and get one UC and one PE reward flight mileage free each year by paying with miles for the other.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by speedwayfan View Post
I presume you mean, can we run two accounts? Yes you can, it's exactly what we do as that way we both get rewards each year.

Obviously it's two lots of annual fees if you go for the reward+ account but for us it's worth it as we have a household account and get one UC and one PE reward flight mileage free each year by paying with miles for the other.

Jill
So my VM card is my account with wife as a named card holder on it. I'd sign up for the amex in my name but would want wife to have a card too (after all she's the one who does all the spending really ). I'd then want to cancel the card when I've used up the bonus' and have the wife apply and I be a card holder.

Assume this is ok but want to double check.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Remember your referral bonus also, DH applied for a card (after being referred by a Dibber so both of them got the referral bonus), then he recommended me so we both got it and we then cancelled his card, keeping just the one account.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Sorry eagle- another question (just back but a bit tired and so looking on Dibb to relax, had 12 hours sleep in total last 3 nights). They told me my wife and kids must have their own Virgin account to get the points (I am sure back in the day I used to get them all myself). Can these points then be pooled for a booking?
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

Officially no, but some nice agents will pool them no problem.
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List