Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 5 Jan 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Shopperholic
Trainee Dibber

Are you meaning which of the two lens you already own, should you take? Or are you willing to purchase a new lens?

With four children, i imagine you will have a fair amount to carry both in hand luggage on the plane and around the parks. Together with the need not to keep your family hanging around whilst you spend ages composing the perfect shot.

Theoretically i would then try and buy the lightest, smallest prime lens i could afford as soon as possible. Giving you time for lots of practice so you get very familiar with the field of view at that particular focal length, which will help with quick composition in the busy parks.

A lot of street photographers seem to use 23 or 35 full frame equivalents, so i've just bought a 35mm equivalent and will be giving street a try as it seems a similar scenario to the busy parks. This way i get a lighter, smaller lens with a wider aperture than if i bought a zoom lens.

Of course i will miss certain types of shots, particularly of the distant animals of AK but i think the positives of this approach outweigh the downsides. But this is a personal choice and i am quite likely to lament the lack of a long zoom despite being happy i don't have the extra weight and size to deal with.
Shopperholic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You can’t post crop if you can’t get the full image in the shot to start with. I took mine to DLP and found it quite frustrating.
I’ve taken my 50 quite a few times I’ve ended up using it more than the 24-105L, I suppose it’s each to own style given that it was between 50 and 70-300 I would stick with the 50, I did once take the 100-400 great for fireworks but not much else
Griff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

My 50 is f1.7 and as others say us frustrating for a park scenario.
Old 5 Jan 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

On my camera I have a 18-135mm lens, I also carry a 35mm f1.4 if I need anything for low light.

I don’t use a camera strap, I use a capture camera clip, this attaches to the strap of my rucksack and means no strap annoying my neck all day.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

As everyone else has said, if you're going to AK. Busch etc. then a long zoom is a great tool but for general Disney Park work, it's not going to get THAT much use and the aperture on those super zooms is small, so it won't be the best inside buildings/rides/after dark.

The 50mm 1.8 is still a great option. Sure, it's not wide, but if you look at some of the brilliant photos you've seen, I bet you'll find that many of them have filled the frame with the subject and not put a load of distractions in there. Often you can tell holidaymaker photos from the more... seasoned photographer ;-), by the hundreds of wide angle, everything in them shots taken.

It's also great for indoors/after dark when phones will start to add noise (or clean noise up so badly that they lose lots of detail). Add that to the light, small footprint and it's a great little lens.

However, it does take a bit more skill to use a single prime lens through the day (as you probably already know since you have a few lenses). It can get frustrating indoors if you want to suddenly grab a shot of a character hug across the table, you don't always have the time to step back. So you may like an 18-55 although again you'll compromise with the low light unless you swap for the 50 when needed.

Personally if I'm taking my DSLR I'll put a general lens on it... 24-80 or similar and then I'll just use my phone for scene establishing shots or quickly needed close shots.

Either way, I love taking my cameras to the park but it's supposed to be enjoyable so I'd avoid anything that makes it less so. If a lens is too heavy to carry comfortably then I'd leave it behind unless I was going on a specific photo day
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

My go to travel lens is a Sigma 18-250 but that may be overkill for parks and not give you the low light pics you can get from other lens.
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

If your camera is DX then something like a 24mm lens (equal to 35mm Full Frame). Should be fine for 95% of the time
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List