Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jan 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Generally always use Avis as I’ve either booked a fly drive with Ba or used avios.
Never had an issue with the cars but agree the staff in the garage at mco are pretty rude.
By comparison staff at fll were excellent.
Best thing to do with Avis is sign up to Avis preferred so you can avoid the desk altogether. For some reason my credit card details never transfer so I usually need to speak to someone in the garage but it’s just a credit card swipe no up selling.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

I had a torrid time with Hertz but do believe all car hire places have on average the worst customer service on the planet, I do find it astounding.
I'm a bit worried about the MCO comments though! We've used avis twice from Tampa, first trip no problems swift service, no upselling. Second trip lady was grumpy if wasn't personal and clearly she was just miserable but I did not care as she dealt with us swiftly, when we dropped off the guy was great, didnt rush us, gave the car the once over and provided us with a receipt showing $0. Oddly this time I said to DH check it has zero and I'm putting it away safe... on return we were charged $1200 for car hire that had been paid via BA package. After being brushed off by Avis I called BA who were great, our flight changed due to potential strikes so our car hire changed and avis don't automatically transfer the funds to the new hire even though I got a £200 refund because it was now cheaper and no one could explain the zero balance receipt BA sorted it out and I had a lovely lady who personally called me back to make sure the funds had been returned.
Anyway really it was all dealt with and I'm glad I didnt have to argue it in the avis car park things go wrong but it's how they are dealt with what counts
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Another one that have used Avis for years without any issues.
By tge sounds of it,myiu didn’t use Avis preferred, but went to the main in airport desks?
I was avis preferred but as it was my first rental I had to go to the desk.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Just to be clear, this was Miami airport.

I can accept bad rental desk staff trying to pull a fast one on tourists (well I cant but I guess it happens) but to not have the vehicle, send me to the wrong place twice and the all the issues on return. It was systematic from the top to the bottom of the staff.

Alamo has always been spot on in MCO with little staff interaction and no attempt to take fuel costs from me. Sixt was spot on when we used them in Atlanta and Hertz I use almost monthly for work in the UK and they have been excellent.

Avis Miami though? They listed my mileage for the two weeks as 200miles. With readings taken the same time as the fuel readout. Its not like we drove most of Florida in those 2 weeks lol Unbelievably bad.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
I was avis preferred but as it was my first rental I had to go to the desk.
ah,
What they dot explain is taht you can go to the desk in teh garage to sort your first hire out
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
After being brushed off by Avis I called BA who were great, o
BA were superb with me too - same service as you got - personal agent dealing with issue and following up - I was hugely impressed. She also gave me a worldwide emergency number to use from abroad for any BA issue - but this may have changed by now.

I was using Avis preferred on all my trips - name not on board once.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

We have used Avis through BA for the last two years and have booked again this year and have had no problem at all. In fact the first year we used them we had a fantastic agent who upgraded our 7 seat passenger van to a Chevrolet Surburban for free and wouldn’t even take a tip, it was my bday and on chatting to him said my DS would love a surburban, he asked us to wait then gave us the keys to one, he said if he can make someone happy it made his day. I think it completely depends on the agent you get like anywhere really.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
We have used Avis through BA for the last two years and have booked again this year and have had no problem at all. In fact the first year we used them we had a fantastic agent who upgraded our 7 seat passenger van to a Chevrolet Surburban for free and wouldn’t even take a tip, it was my bday and on chatting to him said my DS would love a surburban, he asked us to wait then gave us the keys to one, he said if he can make someone happy it made his day. I think it completely depends on the agent you get like anywhere really.
That's really nice

I do agree it depends on the agent but there does seem to be an overwhelming number of rude car hire people.

We are avis at mco for the first time so fingers crossed we don't have op experience
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List