Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jan 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

We arrived on Friday, we had pre-booked it on-line so stopped at one of the three booths by the rental desks, it took about two minutes to collect the tag, so easy. Hang the tag on the rear view mirror, it registers on the way out, we used the 417 south exit using the surpass lanes, by the time we arrived at the villa unpacked and logged into the account all of our tolls were showing, I know it's only a small saving on one journey but saves the hassle of stopping and finding change. The three tolls were charged at $1.43 $1.43 and 80 cents. We are planning to tour around on this holiday so it will get plenty of use. The thought of one bill at the end of the holiday appeals rather than Alamos that seem to keep coming for months.
Old 26 Jan 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
apollo163
Imagineer

Used it in October and for the tiny inconvenience it causes I would use it again. It meant on a couple of journeys I was able to divert away from major traffic without worrying about going through tolls and having to search for change.
2001 private villa (poinciana blvd)
2006 villa formosa gardens
apollo163 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bovril View Post
We arrived on Friday, we had pre-booked it on-line so stopped at one of the three booths by the rental desks, it took about two minutes to collect the tag, so easy. Hang the tag on the rear view mirror, it registers on the way out, we used the 417 south exit using the surpass lanes, by the time we arrived at the villa unpacked and logged into the account all of our tolls were showing, I know it's only a small saving on one journey but saves the hassle of stopping and finding change. The three tolls were charged at $1.43 $1.43 and 80 cents. We are planning to tour around on this holiday so it will get plenty of use. The thought of one bill at the end of the holiday appeals rather than Alamos that seem to keep coming for months.
I may have already said this on another recent VTP thread but that's our experience exactly.

Got to the villa wifi and the VTP email was actually timed 5 minutes before we left the Alamo garage. All three 417 transactions were already logged.

Mick
Old 27 Jan 20, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
benvo
Excited about Disney

So am I right if you don’t use it and take it back there is no cost?

We don’t use tolls but may be booking with dollar so would give me piece of mind if we did get turned around this would pick it up in case of any admin charges added on.

Thank you
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by benvo View Post
So am I right if you don’t use it and take it back there is no cost?

We don’t use tolls but may be booking with dollar so would give me piece of mind if we did get turned around this would pick it up in case of any admin charges added on.

Thank you
Hi

You've been a regular contributor recently to the Alamo OLCI threads - does that mean you're changing to Dollar for this imminent trip?

Don't know where you're staying but I assume you've looked at the route from MCO to avoid the toll on 528 north or the 417 south.

Hopefully you've read the details of the Dollar Sunpass scheme here? Don't know what happens if you pass through a toll with a VTP though.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
benvo
Excited about Disney

Hi Mick, potentially doing the swap today, found a company who is offering the same with dollar for £67 less, so if I am going to the desk looking at the fact I mise as well swap seeing as Alamo do not care when contacted.

Only thing I read with dollar is the hard sell and the toll pass. So guessing if I got this that would make me happier should we need to use a toll or even by accident (did this once in Miami)

We are staying in Cumbrian lakes, and we normally go for food on w vine street close to the Walmart there before going to the villa. Looking on google the toll and no toll roads doesn’t have much difference in time saving on that route?

Thank you
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by benvo View Post
Hi Mick, potentially doing the swap today, found a company who is offering the same with dollar for £67 less, so if I am going to the desk looking at the fact I mise as well swap seeing as Alamo do not care when contacted.

Only thing I read with dollar is the hard sell and the toll pass. So guessing if I got this that would make me happier should we need to use a toll or even by accident (did this once in Miami)

We are staying in Cumbrian lakes, and we normally go for food on w vine street close to the Walmart there before going to the villa. Looking on google the toll and no toll roads doesn’t have much difference in time saving on that route?

Thank you
Benvo

Don't know that villa area well. We always stay at Highgate Park in where they broadly call "Davenport" (although it's miles from the city of Davenport ) Our car is therefore always on auto-pilot from garage B on to the 417 south.

Let us know how you get on with Dollar if you go that way. There's been scores of Dibbers over the past few months fully supporting the VTP so, statistically, some of them must have been in a Dollar car and resolved their toll schemes.

Mick
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
benvo
Excited about Disney

Hi Mick, just to add it never ends, just gone to cancel with alamo and .co.uk is 3 days before not like the .com 24 hours. So now cant cancel unless im willing to lose £40 which i would still save another £26 but begrudge letting alamo keep £40 so going to go down the complaint root.

Sadly a terrible show by alamo this time, after using them successfully for years, will defo think twice about booking them in the future.
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Apologies I haven’t read every post so not sure if this is a repeated question.
We fly in and out of MCO but are doing a road trip through Georgia, S. Carolina, Tennessee then back to Florida for our last week. Will the VTP only work for tolls within Florida or all States? I’m sure it’s still worth it anyway as I hate fumbling around for change at unmanned toll booths!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Apologies I haven’t read every post so not sure if this is a repeated question.
We fly in and out of MCO but are doing a road trip through Georgia, S. Carolina, Tennessee then back to Florida for our last week. Will the VTP only work for tolls within Florida or all States? I’m sure it’s still worth it anyway as I hate fumbling around for change at unmanned toll booths!
I'm not sure of the out of State roads. However it will certainly be of benefit for the Florida ones.

This is in their FAQ's -

The pass is accepted throughout Florida. Visitor Toll Pass™ works everywhere you see E-PASS, SunPass or LeeWay signs throughout the state. With the pass, you can travel in any lane through a tolling point including all electronic and express lanes.

Edit. I don't think there are any Toll Roads in Tennessee.

I do know S. Carolina, Georgia and Florida drivers can use the 3 States and get 1 bill but I don't know if the FTP scheme covers them all. Maybe worth an E Mail.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:29 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List