Notices

Old 28 Jan 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Daily plans

I thought it would be helpful (and hopefully entertaining ) to share some of the thought processes I go through when deciding which parks to do on which days as I’ve seen a few threads asking about the busy day guides and how people use them. We’ll see how much of the inner workings of my mind you all find useful or indeed entertaining .

So, I do always look at the busy day guide and park hours information on the dibb. Then, not content with just looking at it I like to copy it to my own spreadsheet so I input the dates of my trip and then I input the park hours and then I input the EMH and EEH and then I colour code it Yes it sounds like a lot of work, that’s because it is! This is the current year’s sheet I’ve got the 2019 Universal park hours on it as they haven’t been listed on the park hours information on the dibb.

Look how I’ve made it very clear to myself that the annual passes cannot be used in July and they will expire. I’m not going to make a hideous mistake and plan in a US or IOA day when we can’t actually go then.

The next spreadsheet that I like to type up is the most recommended, average and least recommended parks for each day of our trip. I also really like the historic crowd averages function on the dibb. Does everyone know this is available as I sort of stumbled across it? When you look at the park hours next to the name of each park there is a little blue i icon which you can click on for further information. There are show times, attraction operating hours shop opening hours and also a really handy button that tells you the historic park hours and the average crowd level for that park in years gone by. This score is then added to my spreadsheet and is colour coded red, amber green for just that park.

What I mean is I find it pointless to just look at the lowest crowd level each day as that is nearly always going to be HS or AK every single day for our trip. Hollywood Studios has a high of 3.3 and a low of 1.5 for historic crowds. So, there’s not much point in comparing it to Magic Kingdom which has a high of 6 and a low of 3.7. Therefore, I colour code each park individually only comparing the crowds at HS to itself not to other parks (I hope all that technical talk makes sense ). I then compare this information to the recommended parks and see if the ‘greenest’ day for us on our trip matches with the Dibb recommended park.

Next I print out the dates of our trip on an A3 piece of paper, collect up mini post-it notes and get sticking.

We like to go to a park in the morning, then have a rest at the resort and then in the evening we go to a different park or to an ADR at a resort. I like to put EMH at the beginning of the trip, these are always the least recommended parks on the busy day guide so after our break at the resort I will then plan the most recommended park for the evening or an alternative if I fancy somewhere else.

I've gone for two Universal days back to back as I'm really keen to do an overnight stay and get the express passes. I've also planned in some days towards the end of the trip when we might do EEH. We've never done this before as we've always struggled to stay awake later. I've put in the days where we think there will be MNSSHP, but these are just guesses based on the park hours.

After I’ve got a rough plan of what I’m happy with, bearing in mind it’s all done on post-it’s so that I can make changes swapping things around easily, I then get a new set of little post-it notes out and write out all the ADRs that I want to do. These can then be stuck on the relevant days as, of course, a meal at Coral Reef needs to be planned for a day that we are going to Epcot. This year it feels like I’m planning less meals in the parks and more at resorts and DS than before so I was struggling to get them all in. But I think I’m happy with the plan.

Saying that, I've realised that this photo isn't the most uptodate photo as I've changed lots of the ADRs since I took the photo on Friday. So, now the plan is Sci Fi Diner on Tuesday 28th not HBD Fantasmic...plus there are other swaps, but you get the idea. I've also moved Boathouse to the DDP part of the stay as I can't stop looking at the menu and thinking that I won't want to order a cheap club sandwich! I'll have to take a new photo and share that later so you can see the new ADR plans.

Once these little post-its are stuck on I check out the restaurant timings so that I can decide when we want our reservation to be made. I found out that the Trattoria al Forno breakfast actually runs until noon so we can have a later brunch here but the Topolino one doesn't run as late so that's on a day where we will be at the resort in the morning. I also tally up the number of EMH, mornings, evenings and late nights at each park to check it’s a fair amount That’s the little blue post-it bottom right. ADRs that I had planned to do but that aren’t included are stuck down the right too, just in case I want to add them in.

Then when I was getting my list of ADR timings together I remembered that as we have such a long stay at three different resorts I would need to check when each ADR could be made. So, today was the 180 day mark for our trip. I was able to book the first 10 days of ADRs from Sunday 26th July to Wednesday 5th August. We do not ever have an ADR on travel day as we’re just too shattered and find that pizza or nuggets are about all we’re good for. Then tomorrow I can book for Thursday 6th August and each day following until 3rd February when I can book Tuesday 11th August. This is the date that we check out of the first resort and check in to the Boardwalk. So, I believe that I won’t actually be able to book ADRs for the Boardwalk stay until 13th February as this is when I will be 180 days out from that part of the trip…does that make sense? I think this logic is correct and that on 13th February I can book the three days that I’m staying at the Boardwalk and then I’ll have to wait until 16th February to book the three days ADRs for when we’re staying at AKL. We’ll see what happens, as of today I have booked the first ten days worth with only minor irritations of MDE crashing on the app and then being incredibly slow on the website . I’ll update you with the full list when they are all booked and done.

For those who would prefer a full daily plans write up so that you can see what parks we are going to and when, as opposed to how I planned it all, then fear not I will of course do that for you all! Kat asked if I was going to type it up into the trip planner and actually this was something that I didn’t make much use of last year but I intend to do it this year.

It’s all felt rather exciting today as we are now less than 6 months to go, it’s downhill now to summer.

Wahoo We're going to Disney World.
I love how much work you put into your planning Abby! So much more than me, I think I will take on the spreadsheet hint for next time though as I love it

I can't believe you've never used the planner, I love using mine, I also enjoy Touring Plans as it estimates ride wait times etc but you do need to pay for that.

I hope you manage to get that overnight stay booked, 'll keep everything crossed for you xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

Loving the detail. My ADR day in a fortnight and I am looking forward to spending the weekend planning.

Edited at 10:35 PM.
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has multiple spreadsheets and tables for the same trip.

I love the idea of a large piece of paper with lots of post it notes to do the planning. I just tend to have a table on a word document and then start adding things in/moving them around. I think something more physical would be great for the way I work though.

I can't actually see your daily plans as I can't get the photo to get bigger clearly but I'm sure they're great and I look forward to hearing more details about your days and ADRs.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

This is fab! I have kind of been through a very similar process this time but I’m nowhere near as organised as you ... so I’ve done lots of going back and forth between things before realising what I actually need to do! I’m a visual person so love colour coding etc as it really helps LOVE your idea of post its ... much better than my constant scribbles
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

You don't need to say sorry for not replying to all my musings more quickly, just make sure you don't do it again

Seriously, I've already paid for the cheap flights in the extra costs of hotels. We could have gone PE for less I reckon but do you know what I am still thinking we will not add on even 1 hold case. I'm not a massive shopper, we've still yet to set foot in a mall in Florida, so there wont be much in the way of souvenirs or extra stuff to bring home. I figure any snacks we have leftover from the DDP part of the trip will be eaten when we are in the frugal last few days of the trip. Only half joking about that, we will eat the snacks but I doubt we will be too frugal as I am planning ADRs for most of those days. So all that means we can fit clothes into the cabin bags, any toiletries that I really must have I'll decant into 100ml bottles. But shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, sun tan lotion etc I'll just buy out there and it will surely end up being cheaper than paying for the extra case. Of course I will have to use the laundry facilities but that just means cocktail time

I've not booked any parking yet, but I'm sure you don't want my car parked on your drive for over 3 weeks! It was a very kind offer though xx

I can just imagine you and Jim in a deluxe hotel, perfect for you to get up and wander early while Jim has a long lie in and you're right he can go off and golf while you have fun in the parks.

I was looking at my restaurant choices this afternoon as it's ADR day on Tuesday, it won't surprise you that I've made a couple of tweaks. Anyway, Dave asked me what I was doing and so I told him I was making sure we had a good balance of buffets compared to proper sit down meals and double checking I hadn't put two character buffets back to back. He rolled his eyes. I think I'm ready for Tuesday though. Somehow having a longer trip seems to have made it harder, I thought it would be easier to fit everything in. But last year, with less days, I had a plan I knew what I wanted and I stuck with it, no messing, no tweaks, not in the run up and not while we were out there, none at all. This year I just can't seem to settle and so I anticipate there will be tweaks.

You're right, I probably won't ever be able to go back to just 14 nights now.
Oh my goodness you're serious about going hand baggage only . Abby we must correct the fact you've never been into a Mall or the Outlets, it's ok there's hope for you yet .

How did ADR day go? I hope it went smoothly and no last minute panics happened. Although I'm sure some tweaking to the plan occurred!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow your planning is amazing and I thought the two tables that I did was enough 🙈 I love the idea of the table with post it notes that can move around! I’m really struggling with sorting my plan out and I think this way may really help so I’m going to give it a go! I look forward to seeing your actual plans wrote down!
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I love how much work you put into your planning Abby! So much more than me, I think I will take on the spreadsheet hint for next time though as I love it

I can't believe you've never used the planner, I love using mine, I also enjoy Touring Plans as it estimates ride wait times etc but you do need to pay for that.

I hope you manage to get that overnight stay booked, 'll keep everything crossed for you xx
I do like to plan. I'm glad to have inspired you with spreadsheets. I know a lot of people recommend touring plans. I guess it takes some of the stress away following their suggestions, but I kind of like deciding which bits of the park to visit. Although the estimated wait times is appealing. Maybe I'll look into it.

I'm really hoping to get 1 night at universal as at the moment I've only planned for 3 days there, the two when we stay over and then a bonus one.

Originally Posted by Leelashpurple View Post
Loving the detail. My ADR day in a fortnight and I am looking forward to spending the weekend planning.
Have fun coming up with your ADRs and sorting them out, I hope you get the times you want

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has multiple spreadsheets and tables for the same trip.

I love the idea of a large piece of paper with lots of post it notes to do the planning. I just tend to have a table on a word document and then start adding things in/moving them around. I think something more physical would be great for the way I work though.

I can't actually see your daily plans as I can't get the photo to get bigger clearly but I'm sure they're great and I look forward to hearing more details about your days and ADRs.
It does seem a bit pointless taking the information and then typing it up, especially when Disney change the park hours which they usually do about a fortnight before we travel. I'm hoping they do at least for AK as at the moment it's closing at 8.30pm. I do love moving the post it's around the page though that really helps me!

I'm sorry you can't see the daily plans I'll try to type it up properly and post at the weekend.

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
This is fab! I have kind of been through a very similar process this time but I’m nowhere near as organised as you ... so I’ve done lots of going back and forth between things before realising what I actually need to do! I’m a visual person so love colour coding etc as it really helps LOVE your idea of post its ... much better than my constant scribbles
I really like the colour coding too! It helps me a lot. I used to plan in a note book and that always led to lots of crossings out, even if I only did it pencil. I much prefer the post it

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh my goodness you're serious about going hand baggage only . Abby we must correct the fact you've never been into a Mall or the Outlets, it's ok there's hope for you yet .

How did ADR day go? I hope it went smoothly and no last minute panics happened. Although I'm sure some tweaking to the plan occurred!
Yes, I really am serious about the no hold luggage. I know you think I'm mental. Perhaps nearer the time I'll add on one bag. It's the toiletries I think that I'll worry about the most. Kate has sensitive skin and reacts badly to some sun tan lotion so I'll be worrying that what we buy out there won't work for her. But I suppose I could still decant some of ours into a little 100ml bottle.

ADR went pretty well apart from the fact that the MDE app on my phone isn't working, it just means I have to login to the website on my phone instead though.

Originally Posted by Elsa42 View Post
Wow your planning is amazing and I thought the two tables that I did was enough 🙈 I love the idea of the table with post it notes that can move around! I’m really struggling with sorting my plan out and I think this way may really help so I’m going to give it a go! I look forward to seeing your actual plans wrote down!
I'm glad you like the planning. Have a go with the post it's. I found it so helpful

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Yes, I really am serious about the no hold luggage. I know you think I'm mental. Perhaps nearer the time I'll add on one bag. It's the toiletries I think that I'll worry about the most. Kate has sensitive skin and reacts badly to some sun tan lotion so I'll be worrying that what we buy out there won't work for her. But I suppose I could still decant some of ours into a little 100ml bottle.

ADR went pretty well apart from the fact that the MDE app on my phone isn't working, it just means I have to login to the website on my phone instead though.
In that case I would decant Kate's sun cream into a 100ml bottle. Have you checked if they do that one over there, or check the active ingredient in it to see if they do something similar.
I'm terrible for taking too many toiletries, even worse as I spend far too much time in Walmart in their pharmacy department so there really is no need to take so much

That's a pain, hopefully its just a glitch and will be up and running soon. Looking forward to reading what you ended up with. I strangely miss needing to book things 6 months in advance, its fairly boring planning a non WDW holiday

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a great in-depth plan and a fun way of arranging and rearranging things with the sticky notes.

Out of interest what time would you advise a Tonys adr to make sure there’s time before the parade. I was thinking for a 3pm parade would 1pm be ok?

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
In that case I would decant Kate's sun cream into a 100ml bottle. Have you checked if they do that one over there, or check the active ingredient in it to see if they do something similar.
I'm terrible for taking too many toiletries, even worse as I spend far too much time in Walmart in their pharmacy department so there really is no need to take so much

That's a pain, hopefully its just a glitch and will be up and running soon. Looking forward to reading what you ended up with. I strangely miss needing to book things 6 months in advance, its fairly boring planning a non WDW holiday
It's mainly her face that is sensitive, the rest of the body seems to be fine, or at least it doesn't react as bad as the face does. So I think we'd be alright with a small bottle for her. I should check though what the ingredients are s it may be that I can find one that's the same out there.

The app still didn't work today, it allows me to see the potential time slots but as soon as I try and select one it tells me they are having technical difficulties.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
What a great in-depth plan and a fun way of arranging and rearranging things with the sticky notes.

Out of interest what time would you advise a Tonys adr to make sure there’s time before the parade. I was thinking for a 3pm parade would 1pm be ok?

Kat
Yes, 1pm will be perfect

I've just booked the Tony Festival of Fantasy package today and I went for 1pm for the four of us. Last year we also had a 1pm slot, but we were close to half an hour late and then had to wait for 15minutes for a table for six people. It was fine though we had our desserts in to go boxes and ran over the road to the centre as the parade was coming down Main Street. Our server Bryant was fab and kept an eye on the time for us and made sure it all went smoothly.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List