Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile Airport security and medical implants

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help my train of thought right now.

My next trip to Florida will be my first with a metal implant in my body. I understand security is tight and I’m perfectly happy to do whatever they want me to do. I have a little card that explains what it is and what it looks like but I’ve been doing some research that security aren’t particularly bothered about xrays/drs letters etc.

That’s all fine. My wonder is, would FastTrack security be smoother than normal security?

I realise it is a very common thing but honestly, I’m very anxious about it all and just want the smoothest, least stressful experience.

TIA
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Joan had a full metal knee replacement in 2014 and every time she goes though the scanner both here and at MCO she gets picked up. They simply ask her to step aside and pass the wand over her.

Maybe adds 2 minutes to the security process and no issues at all. She doesn't carry any official explanation but I guess that knee replacements are fairly common these days

Doing fast track won't make any difference because scanners won't be any different but please don't stress - it happens to hundreds of travellers.

Mick

Edited at 10:30 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
PS

One little tip if you are travelling with others.

I always go through security scanners ahead of Joan as I know she'll be delayed a bit. I go first so I'm on the other side of the X Ray to make sure I see our stuff coming through.

Mick
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

My DH has enough metal in his shoulder/collar bone to set off a child's metal detector, but never has a problem with security - other than his belt, keys, liquids ...
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 03:08 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I got a new knee 18 months ago. We’ve since travelled to America, Canada, Mexico and Tenerife. The place that takes longest to get through is Manchester. Tell them I have an artificial knee but still sent through the arch and alarm goes off. Sent to X-ray booth. Wand passed over me. Pat down, especially around knee which at times has been painful and I’ve told them so. Finally sit down, shoes off and raise legs one at a time. I have no idea why they do the last bit but they have done it every time. Elsewhere in the world it’s arch, wand and quick check with back of hand over knee.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Thank you so much for your replies! The device is in my chest so hopefully won’t cause too much of an issue (it’s fine for scanners). I think it’s being so used to walking straight through and the ‘unknown’ of suddenly knowing I might cause a problem. Thank you again
Mackenzies03 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

My mum has had her shoulder replaced and I don’t think the metalwork is picked up as it’s completely random if she gets stopped.
Definitely always gets stopped at Man, lhr and lgw were fine.
Didn’t get stopped at mco.

If you do get stopped just explain and it will be fine, they see it all the time.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I've got a double knee replacement and found going through security very quick with no problems. Going through security at one of the parks the guard shouted to everyone "Make way please it's the bionic woman coming through"😂.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Our son has a Vagus Nerve implant in his chest, he’s had it since 1999. Never had any trouble going through security with it, he doesn’t go through the scanner.
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have mesh in my groin. They wand me when it activates the scanner albeit it doesn’t do it every time.

My Wife will get caught out next trip I suspect as she is having a hip replacement tomorrow. Well unless the NHS cancel it again!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List