Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 3 Nov 19, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoying your trip report, can’t wait to see your results at the end . I keep toying with the idea of visiting europa park but for us Efteling doesn’t appeal as it seems geared at younger children so will be interested to see if you and your daughter feel the same .
Old 3 Nov 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

Those pastries look fab, DS would be very happy.
Ouch about the parking price but as DH doesn’t drive, and DS isn’t great on long car journeys, we always pay for Eurostar and staying on site which is a much bigger ouch!

Love the hallowe’en theming and that you got lots done but it’s a shame about so many things being closed, especially when you don’t know in advance.

We’ve done buffalo bills on all 3 trips, don’t know why as it’s exactly the same each time, but it would odd not to now. A family tradition I guess

Looking forward to day 3
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SuziQz View Post
Glad I’m not too far behind on your report. Looking forward to the reviews and final result
Originally Posted by SuziQz View Post
Those pastries look fab, DS would be very happy.
Ouch about the parking price but as DH doesn’t drive, and DS isn’t great on long car journeys, we always pay for Eurostar and staying on site which is a much bigger ouch!

Love the hallowe’en theming and that you got lots done but it’s a shame about so many things being closed, especially when you don’t know in advance.

We’ve done buffalo bills on all 3 trips, don’t know why as it’s exactly the same each time, but it would odd not to now. A family tradition I guess

Looking forward to day 3
Thanks for following along, we probably feel similarly about Hoop de Doo now to you with Buffalo Bills (last 2 times but a 3rd seems inevitable) so I think you're right about the family tradition!

EuroStar is a great option on a future trip I'd definitely think about a train ride and then stay a couple of stops up the line into Disney Village or I guess uber-ing from a nearby hotel. While I've paid for onsite in Florida and also will do for California next year I just can't bring myself to do it for DLP for some reason! Maybe it's the weather

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
€30 for parking... ouch! Just as well you've had such a lovely, fresh breakfast. I'm not really a big fan of pastries, particularly first thing, but these look good!

Looks like you've covered a lot of ground in one day and the park looks beautiful for Halloween. We'd love to visit at this time of the year, alas DH can have no time off during term time, and it seems awfully rude to go without him We were there for Easter and it was lovely too.

I don't remember the FP tickets looking so cute in 2015. Vey collectible indeed. Oh well, just well, as my (hoarder) daughter collects just about everything else

The ceiling issue you've identified isn't very Disney and rather disappointing. To be honest, I couldn't fault DLP on this front during our visit (or perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough) and we did have a fantastic 4 day visit. But there was something 'missing' and we haven't had the urge to return (like WDW), even though it is virtually on our door step. I'd be interested to see how you rate it against Efteling (which, as you know, we adored) and Europa Park (which we are so looking forward to visiting).
The Peter Pan tickets were particularly cute but they all seem a nice keepsake and a shame to give away instead of just punching them or tearing a piece off. DLP this time because I was looking I found some inconsistencies that you don't see in Florida, admittedly on previous visits we hadn't noticed, also with a 14yo they are harder to impress. BTW I have a EuropaPark map for you if you want it, returning your earlier offer/just PM

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Really enjoying your trip report, can’t wait to see your results at the end . I keep toying with the idea of visiting europa park but for us Efteling doesn’t appeal as it seems geared at younger children so will be interested to see if you and your daughter feel the same .
I'm finding it hard not to post spoilers trust me I know what you're saying, stopping there before I start to give things away - appreciate your following and commenting

Cheers all, Day 3 should be up either this evening or tomorrow night
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 11:57 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I found this thread this morning and am really enjoying so far. Looking forward to your Europa Park and Efteling days having had such a great time at both this summer 👍🏻
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by HEMANCLOFTY View Post
I found this thread this morning and am really enjoying so far. Looking forward to your Europa Park and Efteling days having had such a great time at both this summer 👍🏻
Cheers, I discovered your reports just before we left and enjoyed them a lot, good to see fellow Euro roadtrip and theme park fans Remind me to go back and comment!

Just writing up Day 3, should be up later on
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Day 3 - Walt Disney Studios

2nd and last of these farmhouse breakfast shots I promise Today was the same but with the addition of some nice custard tarts that DD was at first suspicious of then ate 2 of. Good start to the day again and we headed off through the dark to the Studios Park for a 10am official opening.
Today's pics are mostly food!

Now I’ve always been a fan of Hollywood Studios at WDW. Even with a number of ride closures when everyone said it was a half day park it was in my top 2 because of the handful of big ticket rides plus the show. So I have a natural affinity to the Paris version even if they are pushing it a bit with ride closures I say pushing it, there are only 15 attractions listed on the park map and with Rock n Roller Coaster closed for the Iron Man re-theme, the charming Cinemagique annoyingly taken off and one of the theatre’s showing ‘previews of Maleficent’ which was on at the cinema in Disney Village Disney are really pushing it.
Bring back Cinemagique!

I had doubts about visiting this park on a 2 day visit without park hopper (which is the reason I upgraded to that ticket). When Avengers, Star Wars, Frozen etc. all open it will be great I’m sure but at the moment it’s a bit light on things to do once you’re past a few big rides. Anyway, I parted with another €30 for the parking and we were there as the park opened.

We headed straight for Crush Coaster (aka Fish Mountain) and used the single rider queue because the park was already busy. Queue time maybe 15 minutes for a great ride although I was paired with a lady Bart Simpson waould have introduced as Mrs BO Problem. Crush was great and we were able to pick up tickets for Ratatouille and then ride the RC Racers ride in the Toy Story area while we waited.
One of the best themed queues at DLP for me

RC Racers is the ride where you’re in the toy car thing going across the loop of track. We love this ride and think it’s very underrated although they should have built more tracks because it loads very slowly and only last a few seconds. Great thrill though

After that, back to Ratatouille, enjoyed this but it’s never blown us away to the level it was rated at when it first opened. Great queue again and a clever ride technically but not brilliantly exciting IMHO. We then went to the Backlot Tour. Millions of people waiting but this ride hoovers them up quickly. The scene with the earthquake etc. is as awesome as ever
Before the storm

Love the backlot tour type attractions, it’ll be a shame when this one inevitably goes too (even the painful Jeremy Irons clips ). And is it me or does the Studios really lack dining options? We went to the big quick service place Restaurant en Coulisse in the entrance warehouse thing and ordered a couple of burger meals.

DD’s was the chicken burger and mine the green Halloween special. Everything was good I’m pleased to say, the cute pumpkin thing is a very nice salted caramel mousse dessert that went down a treat At this point we were supposed to go back into the Studios but it was only Tower of Terror that we still wanted to do and with aching feet, a 50 minute wait and Hyperspace Mountain still never ridden we decided to go back to MK from there. With hindsight I should have checked first that Space Mountain was open!

As we came back into the park we bumped into the end of the parade.

It was cute but weirdly DD has inherited my indifference to Disney Parades and instead saw it only as an opportunity for shorter ride times. But when we got to Space Mountain it was...still down. Gutted! We did a bit of exploring round the park, some shopping and a walk-on type attractions before calling it a day mid-afternoon. Enthusiasm waning for our 18:30 Inventions character meal we decided to head back to Auchan and grab food for a picnic dinner back at the room.

So a quiet end to the day with an in-room evening dinner of sushi and quiche while we both got on with catching up with work/homework, ‘socials’, watched a bit of TV etc.

We never did work out why there was a ladder to allow you to peep fron the bedroom into the bathroom. Creepy

All in all a good if tiring couple of days with the MK still miles better than the Studios even with a load of ride closures and some half decent meals in the park. Tomorrow we’re heading over to Europa Park
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I love the look of your breakfasts you’ve enjoyed at your accommodation - I’d happily have polished off all of those custard tarts! I think I’d prefer your nice rural calm space after a busy park day over on site in Paris.

I’ve seen a few reviews of HS and ride closures the last couple of weeks which is frustrating. I think once they’ve finished with the refurbs and new stuff coming in it will be a great park. I’ve been twice to DLP and both times we didn’t get to ride Hyperspace Mountain - so it remains on our “to do” list.

Really looking forward to the next bits of your trippie - Europa Park and/or Efteling high on our must do for next year. Eva’s school have a trip to Germany including Europa Park next May but it was oversubscribed so went to a “names in hats” for the 35 places - she didn’t get picked. (Still waiting on return of our deposit through 😂&#128514. I am secretly pleased as I’d really like to do that trip with her having scoped out the logistics and priced it up.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

Really enjoying reading along. The green burger looks appetising!
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
I love the look of your breakfasts you’ve enjoyed at your accommodation - I’d happily have polished off all of those custard tarts! I think I’d prefer your nice rural calm space after a busy park day over on site in Paris.

I’ve seen a few reviews of HS and ride closures the last couple of weeks which is frustrating. I think once they’ve finished with the refurbs and new stuff coming in it will be a great park. I’ve been twice to DLP and both times we didn’t get to ride Hyperspace Mountain - so it remains on our “to do” list.

Really looking forward to the next bits of your trippie - Europa Park and/or Efteling high on our must do for next year. Eva’s school have a trip to Germany including Europa Park next May but it was oversubscribed so went to a “names in hats” for the 35 places - she didn’t get picked. (Still waiting on return of our deposit through 😂&#128514. I am secretly pleased as I’d really like to do that trip with her having scoped out the logistics and priced it up.
The school trips seem a lot better now than in our day, DD is always going somewhere interesting, we mainly visited country houses and war museums Really irritating to miss first rides on Hyperspace Mountain and Indy.

I highly recommend staying out in the country although it would be a better Summer option than Autumn as the darkness emphasises the remoteness and tests driving skills (luckily we had no rain although there was a tense journey when the car claimed a tyre issue)

Originally Posted by Sallyingforth View Post
Really enjoying reading along. The green burger looks appetising!
lol honestly it was really nice even if it does look like something you'd find behind a student's breadbin

Right I'm not going to get to Day 4 tonight but committing to Day 4 and 5 being up on Wednesday and Thursday. Cheers all
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Day 4 - Paris(ish) to Europa Park

Early on the fourth day and we’re on our way from the farmhouse. Originally there was a plan to make some stops on the way but we’re both in the mood to drive straight through so after another 7:30 breakfast we’re off on our 5 hour trek East across to the French/German border. The drive is fine although I reckon we’re up to a good €80 in tolls adding up all the French motorways which is a significant extra spend bearing in mind there wasn’t a single toll in Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands

EuropaPark is near a town called Rust not far from Strasbourg and near Germany’s Black Forest (I say near - it may be in it there were plenty of trees). Anyway we ship up there early afternoon to check in at the campsite, too early in fact for our teepee which is ready from 3pm.

We get this campsite layout map that is both cute and useful

The reverse of the map features this picture of the park mascot EuroMaus who is dressed here in his religious cult leader outfit.

So with park tickets available to us and plenty of time we leave stuff in the car and head into the park. We head through the car park and I immediately clock that the travelators are working despite the presence of many Autumn leaves a point up on DLP! There’s also a catchy theme tune ‘The Monsters are Dancing in the Park’ playing and a strong Halloween vibe

Annoyingly I have an essential work call to take shortly after we get into the park so the first mission once we get through the ticket barrier is to find somewhere relatively quiet for a quick late lunch and for me to take the call. Turning left on entrance we blunder straight into this place...It’s only Walter’s Sausage Booth as featured in the pre-trip
'Walter you are the Wurst DUDE' (Bill and Ted)

What can I say, the empty tables, relatively quiet corner to take my call and the lure of competitively priced sausage proves impossible to resist. We quickly load up on meaty treats

Almost peaceful by theme park standards

Aye Carumba!

my CurryWurst

This was a success with good food and value, I had to explain to DD that in Germany the bun is often only there to hold the sausage with so it was a cultural education too...I got my call out of the way and we were off for a quick scout around to get our bearings for the next morning plus hopefully a ride or two.

Straight opposite Walter’s we stumbled upon the Voletarium. This is basically their Soarin. We got into a queue marked 20 minutes and immediately could appreciate some quality queue theming.
The Owls are not what they seem

Parents of young children, if I told you that this queue has toilets half way through would you book immediately? All in all the queue was impressive, as well themed as any I’ve scene excepting Gringott’s at Universal

rare footage of theCMG

I’m not really sure of the link between all the creatures and the ride (which covers mainly Europe). Discovery? Of course the park language is mainly German, second language French and English the third so you do miss out on a few things that may otherwise be obvious.

This ride was good, we agreed that for us it was about on a level with the WDW Soarin as we headed out and wandered off further into the park. The first thing to say is that it’s really pretty in there. Lots of mature trees and gardens but with stuff to do and attractions crammed in everywhere. The park it most reminded me to look at is Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen which is tiny but probably the most beautiful I’ve seen Europa Park on the other hand is HUGE yet also tightly packed with stuff (not so much in this photo )

We wandered around a bit and couldn’t resist a ride on this. This was the ride that caused the second highest level of childish sniggering from my party.

What else? We also did a ride on an overhead monorail thing that is open sided and gives a view of the park (to try and see the layout), realised how massive the park is and then headed back to the entrance later afternoon. I’ll post up the map in the next update

We head back to the camp and find our tent. Hmm it’s a little smaller than advertised, I thought we were getting the ones that have eight beds in and loads of space! Suddenly the price makes more sense

DW would have marched to the nearest hotel

There’s one more bed in there that you can’t see on the left but that’s how tight it is and with barely room to stand up in front of the beds. This is a little cosy for comfort TBH but I did have to laugh later when two chunky Dutch couples arrived to occupy the tent next door. The look on their faces when they opened the flaps was priceless and they spent most of the night sat outside drinking to put off the moment they had to sleep in a big fleshy pile Thankfully we had enough space for me and DD and erected a barrier of suitcases down the middle of the teepee to ensure we had as little contact as possible.

Before that though we had dinner booked at the park’s Bell Rock Hotel, Captain’s Finest was the place, think posh Captain rather than BirdsEye.

Stock photos as I failed to take anything useable here

There are several hotels but they turned out to be the complete opposite end of the park from the campsite so we went back into the park and took a very good train service that links it all up. It was confusing and we got a bit lost but the areas all seem very safe even just outside the complex it’s a nice little town and we found the hotel.

Few pictures of the meal for once. This Oreo Cheesecake dessert with Red Velvet ice-cream was however delicious!

The food was great, we both had lobster bisque then a steak and it was Disney Signature’ish quality for a slightly cheaper price albeit still pricey. Service ok, waiters maybe not the best trained and when I asked for tap water they claimed not to have taps which was a first. I did leave a tip but couldn't resist writing get some taps under the amount which he smiled at while he secretly thought evil thoughts.

After the meal we waddled back to the train, did it all in reverse and contemplated a night of teepee based torment. Tomorrow we’re properly in the park for the day

Edited at 02:04 PM.