Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Jan 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Thelostprincess
Excited about Disney

Thelostprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Car seat hire or bring your own?

I'm looking at renting car seats but it seems very expensive as we need 3

When we travel, we'll have two 4 year olds (currently in 5 point harness forward facing seats) and an 8 year old (currently in a high back booster).
I'm not sure if my twins will be big enough to be in a high back by then but possibly. Their car seats we have now are very bulky and not something we'd want to take with us, my sons high back wouldn't be too much hassle.

Can anyone advise on what they normally do or recommend a good place to rent from?

Thanks!
Thelostprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you'll find many threads dealing with the subject

your airline will carry them for you as part of the kids allowance, but you'll need to be able to handle them (and use second bag drop at MCO resulting in longer wait times at the airport)

I personnaly wouldn't advise, as they might sustain unvisible damage during the flight, and would always rent, but, well, it's personnal decision

if you're staying at disney's you have the option of having one adult and the kids on the DME and another adult driving to the nearest walmart and purchase the seats, but no guarantee you'll get the cheaper than renting

one solution we used one year was to buy a bumble bum for our DS
it's an inflatable booster seat (seat only, no back) but the child will only be secured by the seatbelt
so you decide if it's safe enough, again personnal decision

as far as renting go, I would book a car at alamo, and rent the seats from them, as you get to choose your seat, and they're clean , in very good condition, and wrapped in plastic.

Edited at 04:21 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Thelostprincess
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post

your airline will carry them for you as part of the kids allowance, but you'll need to be able to handle them (and use second bag drop at MCO resulting in longer wait times at the airport)

I personnaly wouldn't advise, as they might sustain unvisible damage during the flight, and would always rent, but, well, it's personnal decision

if you're staying at disney's you have the option of having one adult and the kids on the DME and another adult driving to the nearest walmart and purchase the seats, but no guarantee you'll get the cheaper than renting

it's an inflatable booster seat (seat only, no back) but the child will only be secured by the seatbelt

as far as renting go, I would book a car at alamo, and rent the seats from them, as you get to choose your seat, and they're clean , in very good condition, and wrapped in plastic.
Thanks for the help.

My 8yo would probably be fine in a booster but not sure about the younger two.

We're staying at a villa so no MDE for us. I'll keep weighing it up I guess and see how big my twins are closer to travel
Thelostprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

not sure how you'll be comfortable with that, but at 8 years old, your eldest may not be required to use a booster seat

from the age of 6 as long as they can use the seatbelt "normally" (resting on their shoulder like it would with a short adult) then they can ride without a booster seat, as per FL laws.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Thelostprincess
Excited about Disney

not sure how you'll be comfortable with that, but at 8 years old, your eldest may not be required to use a booster seat

from the age of 6 as long as they can use the seatbelt "normally" (resting on their shoulder like it would with a short adult) then they can ride without a booster seat, as per FL laws.
I think I'd bring his booster either way as it won't cost us anymore and isn't too bulky. I'm sure he'd be fine but I don't want to risk it, he's still a little small for his age
Old 9 Jan 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137

Out of interest, why would they need to use second bag-drop? if they've collected their cases/seat, they would just carry them through? or are you assuming they'll have too much luggage to handle?

Also, for the seats, if you're concerned about un-visible damage to taking your own, how can you be certain of the same for Alamo seats? as you can only physically see them in the same manner and don't know their history at all (could have been mishandled, poorly fitted, in an accident etc), as opposed to knowing your own history but only being out of sight whilst loaded/unloaded from a plane?

But as you say, personal preference...

@OP - we took 2 boosters in spare suitcase, so another option to consider.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Without doubt, take your own, worth the slight hassle of a little extra luggage to carry through the airport knowing your kids have a suitable and safe car seat rather than hiring and knowing nothing about the seat history.
Old 10 Jan 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Out of interest, why would they need to use second bag-drop? if they've collected their cases/seat, they would just carry them through? or are you assuming they'll have too much luggage to handle?

Also, for the seats, if you're concerned about un-visible damage to taking your own, how can you be certain of the same for Alamo seats? as you can only physically see them in the same manner and don't know their history at all (could have been mishandled, poorly fitted, in an accident etc), as opposed to knowing your own history but only being out of sight whilst loaded/unloaded from a plane?

@OP - we took 2 boosters in spare suitcase, so another option to consider.
The staff don’t want you lugging the stuff onto the monorail. We did the 2nd bag drop in 2016 and then the conveyor broke for 45 mins... long wait at the end of a long day. I lugged everything up the stairs the next year. The staff member didn’t assist, but did watch the bags at the bottom as wife took double buggy and boys and I ran back down.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
the latter part.
two four years old can be a lot to handle, even if they pull their own trunki (wait can't those be used as booster seats ? just thinking) and OP seemed to be concerned about how bulky the car seats were
we also don't know about stroller, or luggage in general
I think it's a safe bet to assume OP will have too much to carry up the steps to the monorail in one go. I know I wouldn't be able to handle my checked luggage, my carry on, a bulky seat, and manage a young one all at the same time, even though the 8 year old would sure help

the alamo seat (for example) you know nothing of hidden damage, you'll only keep a couple of weeks. You're own seat, possibly suffering from the same unseen damage while being handled, you'll keep as long the child needs it and possibly pass the seat on to next generations, friends or family.

so when it comes to unseen damage and things I can't control, I'd rather it be a temporary item, than the one I'll keep on using everyday

so true
no opinion is more valid than the next one. Discussing options allows the reader to choose for themselves based on the opinions of others.
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. My youngest is 30 so I'm not an expert on child seats!

However ref an 8 year old I am as we take our Granddaughter who is currently 8 as well.

I got given 2 booster bases by a friend of mine last year and took 1 with us in August 19.
I checked beforehand in my own car and by using it the seat belt was perfectly positioned so I decided her high back wasn't needed.

I will say though she is tall for her age so that may not apply to other children.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List