Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Jan 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Cheap holiday ideas needed!

Sigh... was hoping for Australia this year but would pretty much wipe out savings so thinking of doing it next year and saving more this year. Have done Disney 3 times since 2015 but have also done a week in Cyprus (with family), a long weekend at Parkdean caravan site in Kent, Centreparcs and Algarve for a week so quite a mix of holidays!

Need something cheap to look forward to and prevent us booking something expensive! How cheap is cheap... I guess £1k max for 2 ad a d 2ch (12 & 9). A week in summer school holidays.

Have looked and thinking its probably impossible - UK seems quite expensive (not keen on a Butlins type break) as Centreparcs is so expensive in holiday time.

Only thing I can see is a possible city break for 5 or 6 days like Rome, or similar. Anything in the UK that can be recommended or any other tricks I have missed?
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Holiday cottage somewhere? We booked a week in Snowdonia in a beautiful cottage two years ago at the end of July for around £500. Beautiful part of the UK, but other areas were around the same price. We booked with Sykes Cottages (also took our dog)
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We’ve booked a week in Sicily for 1k for 3 a 1 teen in the 6 week holidays . Booked easyJet and Airbnb . It can be done. X
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
We’ve booked a week in Sicily for 1k for 3 a 1 teen in the 6 week holidays . Booked easyJet and Airbnb . It can be done. X
Good point about Airbnb. We paid £1200 for EasyJet flights and an Airbnb in Split Croatia last June. There were cheaper Airbnb’s available so possible to find £1k in school holiday time
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The European center parcs are so much cheaper than the British parcs.
I think to come in to budget you will need to be really flexible. Haven't booked a family holiday for August this year but last year we went to Lanzarote with a similar budget to yours, maybe slightly more. Booked a lovely villa, did a lot of barbecuing rather than eating out. We had to travel from Lancashire to Glasgow airport though. Once the Scottish schools go back the flight prices do seem to come down quite a bit. Maybe look at different airports and be willing to travel.

I think you would be hard pushed to get a school holiday week in Butlins for less than £1000 now.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

what I sometimes do is look on easy jet to find cheap flights to anywhere (be flexible on days and duration) then before booking them I see if I can find cheapish accommodation.
when looking I found Split (Croatia) fairly cheap flights , Faro (Portugal) , parts of Germany as I was looking to go to the black forest and France. we decided on split and booked for five nights but at slightly more than £1000 as I wanted an apartment for 6. Failing that try hoseasons in uk they sometimes do deals - I once got three nights in a lodge for £200 in August so we did a long weekend .
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

We have just booked flights in the summer holidays for £66 to Barcelona. No accommodations booked yet because not sure on a budget until later in the year but even if we get a euro camp for £700. Or pay for 5* hotel. I think we will come in under £2000 for a family of 4 x

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

We have a holiday in menorca booked for the second we break up school in july. Flights were booked with jet2 for 110 each return and we have an airbnb booked in cala galdaba for 500, airport parking 38. Car hire isnt cheap in menorca (juat under 200 as we dont have the smallest option) so this would just push you over 1k. Cala galdana is beautiful, we go there often. If you dont hire a car then 1k is possible, we would prefer flexibility for the extra 100.

Quidco has about 35 on tracked cashback for the above so that takes the edge off.

Edited at 08:50 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The Lake District is gorgeous, what about a city break? We are doing Munich in the school hols, £85 each easy jet flights and a hotel for £500 and that’s for 5 nights. You could do Rome for the same price.
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

We've done Spain (malaga) at the end of the holidays quite cheaply. Play around with dates and flight times to get cheapest flights, and loads of accommodation on booking.com or similar.

We've also had a beautiful holiday in the Peak District in a caravan on Shaw Farm. Really enjoyed discovering the area, and fitted in a quick trip to Alton Towers with cheap tickets.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List