Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jan 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I will try and help on each of your queries.

I also noticed the price drop for Alamo Brits but as it is pay on arrival surely that could be a "false" quote with the equivalent GBP amount - it does quote the USD amount so will watch the changes in exchange rate carefully on my booking

I always pay upfront with Brits. That way any price drop gets me a refund within 2 or 3 days

What benefit do you get, if any, by adding your Virgin Flying Club number to an Alamo Brits booking?

Sadly none whatsoever. I have never got the Miles to track. I have even chased up Alamo who have confirmed they have advised Virgin but to no avail.

Will try to do STC and OLCI but probably won't work due to length of rental (5weeks) - has anyone ever tried it for a long rental.

It should work. I have done 4+ weeks and completed OLCI. Skip the counter is a waste of time actually and not needed. The OLCI barcode is the essential bit.

If you use the Visitor Pass I take it you can "turn off" the Alamo pass.

There is no 'Alamo pass'. I think you are referring to a transponder?
Alamo don't use them. The tolls are activated via Plate Pass which works as follows

A car approaches a Toll which is electronically hunting for a tag/transponder on the front of the car. hence this is why you hang the VTP on the mirror.
If no tag or transponder is 'found' the system takes a photo of the rear registration plate. SunPass links that to the hire car and bills Alamo. Alamo then bills you plus the admin fee.

Hope this helps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Thank you Mr Morrow for your reply,

I made a reservation for Alamo Brits and it didn't give me the option to pre-pay only pay on arrival so will double check if I missed something on the opening page. I checked a fair few car hire companies including Andy (of course) but with it being such a long rental and only needing one extra driver Brits came out cheapest for the car group I wanted.

Sorry I referred to the Alamo Pass - yes I did mean the transponder. I have hired from Avis last year and they had a facility to switch the transponder off so assumed Alamo would have something similar. If that isn't the case then I probably won't bother with the VTP and pay cash.

Edited to add:- I have noticed 2 other threads about Alamo and OLCI problems where a system update was mentioned and I wondered if this has also had a knock on effect for payment options of pay in advance/pay in arrival. It does seem a bit of a co-incidence as I checked and have in the past paid in advance for an Alamo Brits booking.

Edited at 03:51 PM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MINNIE012
First POST

Hi, I have booked a package holiday online and get a standard car with the package already. I want to upgrade the car to a pickup type for 5 people. Not getting much help from the holiday company online but would it be best to upgrade before we go or just deal with it with Alamo when we get there.
MINNIE012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks op just checked mine and saved £25
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks Mpet. Just rebooked & saved £80!
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MINNIE012 View Post
Hi, I have booked a package holiday online and get a standard car with the package already. I want to upgrade the car to a pickup type for 5 people. Not getting much help from the holiday company online but would it be best to upgrade before we go or just deal with it with Alamo when we get there.
It’s almost always cheaper to upgrade in advance. I’d ask them to give you a quote

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List