Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 6 Feb 10, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Lightbulb *Special Diets* - useful information

Eating out with dietary restrictions can be a daunting thought, particularly if you're newly diagnosed, but the great thing about eating out in Florida, particularly Disney restaurants, is you can eat 'normally' and have meals tailored to your individual needs.

Where to begin?

All Disney table service restaurants cater for guests with 'special diets', from gluten free to lactose intolerant, if there's nothing on the menu you like most will make something specifically for you, although some restaurants are better at this than others.

At the time of making your ADRs have your dietary requests noted, if online there is a 'add dietary requests' section, if making your ADRs over the phone ask the operator to note your special dining needs.

It's also a good idea to email the Special Diets department at Disney after you have made your ADRs (just in case there's any problems when making your ADRs) with the ADR confirmation number, restaurant and date/time you're dining, they will pass this directly onto the restaurant(s).

Contact information:

SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com

Tel: 001 407 824-5967, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday (US time)

When you arrive at the restaurant mention to the cast member checking you in of your dining requirements, your dietary needs should be noted on the slip of paper they hand to your server (for example, mine usually says gluten free), mention it again to your server when you are seated at your table, some servers automatically pick up on the note on the slip of paper, but some don't, so it's always best to mention.

Your server will usually call a chef out to talk to you, but some servers have a very good knowledge and will talk you through the menu themselves. If a chef does come out to talk to you, they will run you through what's on the menu, and sometimes say if there's nothing you fancy on the menu they will 'custom' something for you. Don't be afraid to ask for something if you don't like what's offered on the menu.

At buffet restaurants the chef will walk you around the buffet advising what you can and can't have.

I'm a coeliac (gluten free) and have had some fabulous meals at Disney, it's the little touches that are nice such as bringing out gluten free bread/rolls (usually tapioca rolls) at the same time as your dining companions have their 'normal' bread.

You can also contact Special Diets to ask where to eat counter service, they will send you a list of up to date counter service restaurants and what is available, specific to your diet. Most counter service locations will offer something for you.

Also, most counter service locations will prepare your food in a special designated 'allergy' area, it will be prepared and cooked in that area, it may take a little longer but you know what you are eating will be 'safe' for you. When you arrive at the counter service location, just mention to the CM taking your order you have a dining allergy and someone will then come over to see you and take your order.

* Please feel free to add any information on any diets, I'll start the ball rolling with gluten free *
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 10, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Lightbulb Gluten Free Dining

From a gluten free perspective, I've eaten as near normal as it's possible at Disney, food has included gluten free waffles (delicious) a fabulous (specially made, fresh) flatbread at the Grand Floridian Cafe and some very yummy gluten free cookies at the Main Street Bakery in Magic Kingdom.

Some of the best counter service restaurants in the parks I've eaten at include:

Columbia Harbour House, Magic Kingdom - "Anchors Aweigh" Sandwich (tuna salad) in a gluten free roll as opposed to the normal multigrain toasted bread

Liberty Inn, Epcot - Burger in a gluten free bun (prefer these buns to Pecos Bill at Magic Kingdom which tend to crumble before you eat them)

Toy Story Pizza Planet, Hollywood Studios - Pepperoni gluten free pizza

Gluten free pizza is also available at the Boardwalk pizza window, but unfortunately you have to give 48 hours notice so can't really stop there at spur of the moment.

The Boardwalk Bakery has the most delicious gluten free muffins available in a range of flavours, these are the best gluten free muffins I've ever eaten.

Main Street Bakery (Magic Kingdom) offers gluten free chocolate chip cookies and also gluten free rice crispie treats

If you've ever wanted to eat afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge (Grand Floridian), you can, they offer a full gluten free tea, but this should be booked in advance and confirmed with the restaurant directly 24 hours in advance.

All burgers (counter service) at Disney are gluten free, the Rose & Crown (Epcot) offers a thick burger on its menu which is freshly made and gluten free, and very tasty.

Here's some photos of the 'Buckingham Palace' tea I had in 2007 at the Grand Floridian Gardenview Lounge:

Sandwiches:

Scones (muffins) with a gluten free jam tart:

Strawberries & Cream (an alternative to the pastries, as no gluten free options are available):

Some more photos from other table service restaurants I've eaten at:

Fultons - chicken & shrimp with 'smashed' potatoes, they basted the chicken in a gluten free topping and added a gluten free stock, very tasty!

Boardwalk Bakery gluten free blueberry muffin (ignore the croissants, they're not gluten free unfortunately)

Chocolate and vanilla buttercream birthday cake, made specially at Artist Point, Wilderness Lodge - this was the most delicious gluten free cake I've ever eaten

Grand Floridian Cafe - Ice cream, caramel and orange sundae with dark chocolate mickey ears - made 'off menu' for me

Raglan Road

'Keen Eye for the Shepherds Pie' - gluten free deliciousness

(the Rose & Crown in Epcot used to do a gluten free cottage pie, unfortunately it is no longer gluten free)

'Customed' (off menu) smoked salmon, served with capers, sour cream, onions and lemon:

This is a photo of the actual normal smoked salmon dish, which is not gluten free

Animal Kingdom character breakfast - gluten free pancakes with fresh fruit and syrup

Spoodles (now Kouzzina but they are still offering this) - gluten free waffles with breakfast potatoes - note the potatoes are cooked in a different area from the normal breakfast potatoes, and therefore are not as golden brown/crispy

Coral Reef, Epcot - Blackened catfish with cheddar cheese grits and balsamic glaze

Hard Rock Cafe - BBQ chicken

Offsite restaurants are pretty good too, again, some more than others:

The Outback Steakhouse has a special gluten free menu

Olive Garden did not have much choice at all but were very helpful and cooked a grilled chicken breast for me with 'special' homemade tomato sauce with potatoes, unfortunately their salad dressings are not gluten free.

Tony Romas, sauces are all gluten free so you can indulge in BBQ chicken, ribs, anything that you want.

Hard Rock Cafe, once I'd informed our waitress I was gluten free she came out with a book of all food items they offer which advises what I could and couldn't have - I had the BBQ chicken here as the sauce was gluten free.

TGI Fridays also have a book of all their food, just ask your server for it.

* Please add any information to this thread that you feel would help others * or ask any questions relating to special diets *
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 10, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
fantastic thread Clare! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

I love the pics BTW!

I will get together sth on nut allergies and shellfish allergies soon.

BTW, the salmon dish at Raglan Road is now like your modified dish, it's called simply salmon, and was delicious (Oct 09):

Raglan Road Simply Smoked Salmon - Choice Irish smoked salmon served with capers, shallots and creme fraiche $12.50 (Appetiser)

mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 10, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
fantastic thread Clare! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

I love the pics BTW!

I will get together sth on nut allergies and shellfish allergies soon.

BTW, the salmon dish at Raglan Road is now like your modified dish, it's called simply salmon, and was delicious (Oct 09):

Raglan Road Simply Smoked Salmon - Choice Irish smoked salmon served with capers, shallots and creme fraiche $12.50 (Appetiser)

I'm glad the salmon is now permanent - it was really scrummy

Look forward to reading about your experiences with nut and shellfish allergies - one of my friends I'm meeting in May has a nut allergy but has never eaten onsite before so that would be very helpful.
Old 6 Feb 10, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post

here is a link to some photo's and descriptions of gluten and dairy free meals that were prepared for my DD in january this year.

Gluten and dairy free
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 10, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post

just thought id add even ponderosa walked me through the buffet and prepared my daughter some food that was uncontaminated with gluten and dairy. Must admit i thought we'd have to be cautious here but no, fantastic service!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 10, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks for the info Eve
Old 9 Feb 10, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Clare, what a useful thread. Muffins look great, will have to try them
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 10, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by MrsGrumpy View Post
Thanks Clare, what a useful thread. Muffins look great, will have to try them
I really enjoy the boardwalk bakery muffins, they taste like the real thing - I've also had muffins at the GF afternoon tea (a bit too soft/wet, but otherwise OK) and the YC (horrible artificial taste).
Old 10 Feb 10, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nettie
Dancing with Tink'

Ruby Tuesdays, Carrabas and PF Changs also have GF menus.
Nettie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets