Link to this Post
soarinfan
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Video Mike & Sam Go West! Day 19/20 - Travel Day Home

Mike and Sam Go West!
A Holiday Extravaganza

Please click the image below to watch Episode 25 of our Holiday Vlog!

OR

Just click the link below to enjoy the video!

Well, it had arrived! It was time to go home! There was no hiding that we were both sad to be heading home, but we had had such an awesome time, all good things have to go to an end.

My good friend was on Facebook to me from our work at Heathrow, sending a photo of our actual aircraft pushing back to depart out to us, some 6000 miles away on the other side of the planet - THAT is why I love travelling!

I said to Sam we could stay in bed until it was airborne but it was soon off on its way to meet us. Yes as you can see its destination was LAX - as we were heading back to LAX first to meet it. It was again cheaper to fly 200 miles the wrong way to come back again, so why not!

Of course no morning on an American trip would be a proper morning started without breakfast at an IHOP, and that is exactly what we did! Today was 4th July and it was BUSY - we had to wait a good 25 minutes for a table which for us is unheard of at IHOP - we're normally sat within 5 minutes max. But the pancakes and breakfast are worth the wait in our eyes!

We fairly soon though had to head back to the hotel. Although our aircraft to LHR was still some 5000 miles away, we still had to get to SFO and fly 200 miles or so south to LAX, and our transport was coming very soon. So we paid up and headed back. Check out was fairly smooth (apart from the hotel trying to bill me $30 for "Premium Wifi" which I didn't use! - soon sorted that one out). The transport was waiting outside and we were soon back at SFO and through security. We picked a nice spot by the window (it has HIDEOUS anti photography film plastered all over it so you can't take any good pics of aircraft!) and I went to find us something sweet to nibble on - all I could find was this rather scrumptious yet pathetically overpriced muffin!

We tried to have a go at some of the puzzle books we had bought at Heathrow on the way out (a travelling necessity that you never end up completing! ) but I found it far too hard - so got out the other book that came in the pack - Quiz Kids! haha! Used to read it as a kid.

Our aircraft soon turned up and we were soon boarded. I had just looked out the window and what was landing? Both the Virgin & the BA from Heathrow! Typical - and we were about to fly the wrong way! haha

I always like departing out of SFO - on a nice sunny day like today it can be a really beautiful sight, and it didn't disappoint. I have to say I really enjoyed flying American Airlines this trip, but was very disappointed we seemed to get the 2 aircraft in their entire fleet which wasn't WIFI enabled - I would have liked to have tried it merely for the novelty of sharing a picture at 38,000ft!

The only real downside of flying AA was the scaled back service they now offer on short hop flights - a free soft drink and thats about your luck - not even a bag of mini pretzels! I remember last time I got a toasted panini!

The approach into LAX was just as awesome as always, as we flew down parallel to the Hollywood sign and Hollywood Blvd, and did a 180 to come into land towards the west. The avgeek in me was furiously filming out the window for my other channel AircraftSpottingHD!

American Airlines use the terminal right next to the TBIT which is the International Terminal used by foreign airlines, including BA. You would think there would be a baggage transfer system so that you wouldn't have to collect your bags and take them over to the new terminal right? Don't be silly - apparently not today! We had to collect our bags, and then walk over to the new terminal which with heavy luggage can be a bit of a pain! But it was nice to take a picture of this - anyone remember it from the Bean movie?! Much newer now of course than back in the mid 90s!

We checked our bags back in again at the bag drop which was fairly quick, and then headed through security, pausing for a moment to take a picture of this awesome Air New Zealand aircraft with a Lord of the Rings design on the side which I see at work fairly regularly. The TSA agent once again thought Sam was under 14 and therefore didn't require to take off her shoes - he was shocked when she said no I'm the same age as him! (pointing at me) haha!

Naturally another reason we came to LAX to fly home - so we could gorge on Panda Express. So so good - if it wasn't for the fact I knew I'd be bloated for the 6000 mile flight home, I would have so gone back for second helpings!

We went and found a nice seat so I could watch the aircraft movements. We still had about 2 hours before our aircraft even landed at LAX, so I had plenty of time! I took a walk up and down the entire terminal taking photos and videos, whilst Sam sat in the seat reading her book and looking after all our luggage.

But, our plane was soon on approach and was pulling up to the gate after an epic 12 hour flight from Heathrow, whilst we had flown a few hundred miles, stuffed our faces, and sat around feeling huge! Haha! This was my first time flying onboard the A380 and it was absolutely huge. I see them up close at work all the time but being able to fly on one was pretty cool!

The take off was fairly non eventful but it was amazing to see the 4th July fireworks going off across LA as we flew over - you'll have to check out the vlog to see them properly - it was such an awesome sight! Sam was well into the IFE from the moment she had sat in the seat so she was well entertained (she's not a fan of flying so probably a good thing!).

The dinner service took a fair while coming around, but when it did it was the same old choice on BA - "Chicken or Pastaaaa?" (I don't think their caterers actually know how to cook anything else worldwide! ). I chose the pasta as usual, and even though it looks absolutely revolting, the taste was absolutely amazing! There was cheese inside the cheese (at least it felt like it) so so good!

As we didn't take off until just after 10pm local time (about 6am UK time), by the time we had eaten dinner it was nearing about 9am UK time, so naturally that meant I was feeling fairly sleepy! I did try to watch some of the IFE but I closed my eyes and somehow fell asleep. I NEVER sleep on aircraft, it must have been how smooth this aircraft was!

THUD

That didn't sound good. As the plane began to violently shake from HIDEOUS turbulence. I was awake now as you can imagine! The turbulence was probably some of the worst I had ever experienced and it literally lasted for (apparently) 5 hours. Sam looked ever so slightly terrified but I assured her it was absolutely normal...and promptly fell back asleep until we were almost on the other side of the Atlantic - whoops! haha!

Breakfast was soon served and I was pleasantly surprised! It looked a million times better than dinner but still tasted just as good! Always find it funny they give you an Orange Juice with your breakfast meal, then come around with a jug of orange juice to fill your cup with if you want it.

We were soon heading over into the holding pattern in our descent into London, and got an amazing view as we flew the arrival routing for the runways heading back towards the west. You can see the London Eye, Houses of Parliament etc in the pic, and loads more in the video as we fly in!

And touchdown! We were home. And funnily for me - back at work already! Haha! The trundle back to Terminal 5 was pretty quick from where we exited the runway and we were soon able to stand up again and get off the plane. Nothing more refreshing than getting off an aircraft after a 10.5 hour flight home! We made a quick toilet stop and we navigated back to the main terminal to collect our bags.

It was a very quick process, and we met up with my good pal Joe (that took the photo yesterday of our plane departing!). As we met up with him our baggage appeared - Sam's case was broken! Thankfully I knew someone at the desk and we took it straight there and got it changed within seconds, though it was purple like Sam liked it haha!

We headed on through and my parents were waiting in Costa Coffee - thankfully with a pre purchased Raspberry and White Chocolate cooler - love these things! We sat around talking for about 15 minutes whilst they finished their drinks, before we headed off to the car for the short drive home.

What an amazing holiday. Thank you for reading, thank you for your comments, and thank you for watching my vlogs - it really means a lot for the few which have enjoyed this trip report. Theres many more TR's coming (though with a slight difference - they will almost all be mainly the vlogs to be honest!) with a few trips to Disneyland Paris, and an Orlando trip report in the making! So stay tuned in the respective forums! Thanks again! And please comment and ask any questions you like!

The End!
soarinfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Fabulous report - I've really enjoyed reading it and have picked up a couple of tips for our forthcoming trip. Just off to watch the vlogs now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
soarinfan
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Thanks for the comment! Hope you enjoy the vlogs. Plenty more where they came from!
soarinfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Great reports, thanks for taking the time to write them 😃
Rockycat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mazzie
Imagineer

mazzie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Just finished reading all the reports. Excited to be going on the Air New Zealand in September

Will start watching the vlogs now
mazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Siddex
Very Serious Dibber

Siddex's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great report, thanks for sharing your adventure.
Siddex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List