Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wild West road trip - day 7 - Death Valley and Vegas

Day seven (already!)

I've decided I just love Death Valley and staying at Furnace Creek Ranch. Would really like to stay here again and we've already placed it into our plans for 2 years time. Might even stay for 2 nights and chill out a bit more

We had a leisurely morning and didn't get up till 9am. We were awake earlier than this but stayed in bed and watched the tv for a bit.

We got showered, dressed, packed the car and headed for breakfast by 10am (breakfast was on till 11am). There was plenty of things to chose from and it was only $12 pp which I thought again was really good.

We quickly checked out and hit the road. This time heading for Las Vegas (but only for 1 night).

It was approx a 2 hour drive from here to Vegas but not long after we left our hotel we saw a sign for Zabrinski Point. I had heard about this place before so knew we just had to stop off.

We parked the car in the car park and took the stroll up the hill to the view point. Again the temperature was hitting 120 degrees but by now we were used to it

This place was like something out of Star Wars. Now i've never seen Star Wars before (go me lol) but this is how I imagine it to be

After standing here and admiring the awesome place for about 15 minutes we decided to head back to the car and continue on with our journey

We were soon exciting the park

We arrived in Vegas around 2pm and we parked up at New York New York hotel. We parked in the self parking area in the Multi Storey but it's a bit of a trek from there to the check in desks.

We decided to open our cases and just take what we needed for an overnight stay rather than drag all our luggage through the car park and hotel. So we threw the toiletries, pj's, clean clothes for the next day and undies into a rucksack and headed for the lobby.

Our room was ready for us and we were given a room on the 32nd floor. I'm not very good with heights at all so was a bit nervous. They gave us directions to the lifts and also explained that we had to pay $12 parking fee. I really hate when hotels do this. It's a bit like the Universal Hotels in Orlando. Just another excuse for them making extra money.

But anyway... we headed to the lifts. There as a few but only 2 of them went up to the floor we were on. The first time they stopped was floor 26 so it whizzed you up really quickly.

We got into our room and had a look at the view. We didn't have a strip view room but we overlooked the roller coaster and the O2 arena

We decided to head out for a wander around the hotel and to grab some lunch.

We then decided to go for a wander up the strip and pop in and out of some of the hotels.

We went into the Cosmopolitan, Aria, Bellagio and Caesars Palace.

We watched the fountains at the Bellagio and crossed over the road and walked back down the other end.

I don't know what it was about the Bellagio but it's not a hotel i'm very keen on. For me it was just 'ok'. I loved Caesars Palace and have been in here a few times before but just don't see the attraction of the Bellagio somehow. I must be weird as everyone else I know loves it

I loved this cowboy type shop in Caesars Palace. We spent a while in there just looking at everything. It was very expensive though. I picked up a pair of cowboy boots and they were $1500. Bit it was a quirky place to look at everything

We headed back to our hotel about 7pm and went for dinner in the chinese restaurant (sorry, I can't remember the name of it) but it was based inside our hotel. We ordered dinner and it was really tasty. The portions were huge though so we didn't eat even half of it.

We had another look around our hotel before headed back to our room.

I was very disappointed that the rooms didn't have any tea / coffee making facilities or even a fridge to keep a drink cold.

When we stayed in Vegas the last time we were in the Signature suites and we have everything like that there so I just assumed it would be the same in this hotel

By now it was dark so we sat and looked out the window for a while. This was now the 4th July and away in the distance (looking towards Henderson) we could see loads of fireworks going off in peoples gardens. They seemed to go on for ages.

I don't think my photo's picked them up though

Again we were in bed for around 10.30. We were just tired all the time on this holiday mainly due to the heat.

Although I thought New York New York hotel was 'ok' I don't think i'd stay here again. I just can't put my finger on it.

Probably a mix on paying for parking, no fridge or coffee making facilities and I can't believe they only have 1 swimming pool for the size of the hotel. (well we could only find one unless there was other's we didn't know about). There was absolutely no chance of getting a bed out there unless you're down first thing in the morning.

I also found the room to be small too. Maybe we were just spoilt by the Signature Suites on our last visit.

We are heading back to vegas at the end of our holiday but staying in the Venetian. I googled the room facilities here before we left this hotel and realised they also don't have a fridge or coffee making facilities. We were prepared for it but still not happy ...

Edited at 09:51 PM.
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Fabulous! I've just realised who you are! I've followed your trip on FB, as we are friends, just didn't know your Dibb name! We loved Furnace Creek when we were there.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Fabulous! I've just realised who you are! I've followed your trip on FB, as we are friends, just didn't know your Dibb name! We loved Furnace Creek when we were there.

haaaaa - give me a clue as I obviously know your real name but not your dibb name
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great day. Quite a contrast between Death Valley and Las Vegas.

Thanks for posting.
Old 25 Jul 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day again! The scenery in Death Valley is just incredible.

You don't like the Bellagio though!? Crazy woman

We really enjoyed NYNY when we stayed. I guess you're right in that you were spoilt by the signature suites as our room at NYNY was similar to all others we have booked in Vegas.

Looking froward to more!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Zabrinski point looks like a different planet, definitely like Star Wars

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Some great photos. Familiar Vegas sites - we stayed in Vdara and if we ever go back think we'd go for a suite again.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry but if a hotel has a car park it has to pay land taxes on it plus security staff, maintenance etc. They could just add it into the room rate like Disney do but then that isn't fair on anyone not using a car. $12 is nothing. Try $55 in San Francisco or Seattle!

That said, I love Vegas but only for a couple of days as a break from touring.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List