Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Mar 17, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Man down! Brno city break, Feb 17. Last look about and hometime.

Sunday 19th February 2017

Another lazy start to the morning, we had to check out at 10.30.
We woke about 8, Steph and Debbie didnt sleep too well, while I was fine. I miss that lovely bed!
We packed and got ready and went down for our final breakfast.
Granola again for me.

Followed by a sandwich.

I had a cup of sweet tea, I remembered a saucer today, yesterday I put the tea bag in a napkin and made a right mess.
We were able to leave our cases at the hotel as we didnt need to leave until 1.30/2.00 for our 5.10 flight home. Quite a late flight, but it had been changed from something like 10pm so we were very happy we didnt have to hang about all day waiting.
Debbie had seen a hat shop and wanted to have another look, unfortunately we got there to find it closed.
On yesterdays tour, we had walked under the train station with little markets, so we headed there, again all the hat stalls were shut but there were plenty of shoes.

We carried onto the mall, the building the tour guide had pointed out to us yesterday.

There was a lovely floral display, with real flowers.

We couldnt see any hats. I did look in a shoe shop, as dd wants timberlands for her birthday. (I remember paying about £30 for mine, but they are a lot more now)
They worked out to £95, I did consider it, but I wasnt sure about the sizing, so I decided to stick with amazon in case I needed to return them.
We were getting thirsty so we headed back to the basement bar we found on the first day.
We got in, and it was so smoky with lots of men who had clearly been there all night. Steph went to the bar, but came back and said things could get nasty, so we left.

We wandered about as most of the bars were shut.

Eventually we came across a lovely little place with an empty basement and ordered 2 beers, bottled as there was no draft beer and a lemonade.

This would be great for mirror selfies

I dont have the receipt, so dont know what it came to. The money really seemed to be lasting though, I was sure we would have to take more out, but that wasnt the case.
We had another walk about.

St James church was open, so we went inside.

On our tourist map, one of the things not to miss was an indecent statue of a man on St James with his bum sticking out. We had passed here before, but as it was dark, couldnt see anything.
Today, we had a good look about and saw him high in the window.

Ive had a look online, apparently hes sticking his bum out in the direction of St peters cathedral. Its actually 2 men, although they looked joined to me.
St Patricks pub is next door, so we popped there for our last drink. Two larges beers, a sprite and coke. I didnt manage to finish the beer.

Total was 156K.
We went to subway for food to take to the airport. Three teriyaki chicken 6in subs and three cookies, total 321K
The guys serving were a little moody, especially when Steph thought he was making us a large sub, he did snap at her.
The subway was next to the hotel, so cases were collected, and we walked to the bus stop which took about 10 minutes and was easy enough.
Steph got our tickets, the machines were simple to use.

You pay for how long you travel for, so we got 3 tickets to cover our journey, I think they may have been for an hour. Total 75K, so a significant difference to the taxi, which was 400K. The bus is waiting for passengers when you get into Brno, so if you know where you are going, I would recommend the bus.
I think they came every half hour, we didnt wait long and the journey took 20 minutes.
It drops you right outside.

Security wasnt open, so we sat in the bar and waited.
We had a Bacardi, vodka, diet coke, coke and coffee.

Total 255K. as Steph and I had plenty of soda left, we got another short each and a coffee for Debbie.
It was like never ending money, we still had plenty left and we hadnt tried to budget.
We then went through security, with no problems.
The airport is quite big, but only one shop and bar.
We went upstairs, and Steph and I had another Bacardi/vodka and coke, and Debbie had a diet coke. There were tables with plugs, but they were taken.

We took turns going into the shop, I was looking for a snow globe for dd, as she collects them from the places we visit, alone or together. I had been on the look out, but no where sold them. One shop had them in the display window, but when I asked, the woman didnt have the keys. I had no luck in the shop, so I texted dd and asked if she wanted a magnet instead, which she didnt.
Steph brought a small bottle of barcardi for 279K and then a bottle of vodka with our money, probably about the same price to take home.

Then she still had a couple of notes left, so she got some chocolate and nuts.
By now I was feeling tipsy, so we broke the subways out.

There was a smoking room which Steph made good use of.

Our flight was called, we had to go down some stairs to a small room to the gate. We waited about half hour before boarding, with our cases this time.
Normally, we get seats given to us at the back, but this time we were on the front both ways.
Usually the back has the queue, and the front are straight on, but obviously today it was the other way round.
I took this to tweet ryan air, but failed to get the plane in.

The flight took off on time, we were sat opposite some lads on a stag party, they were pretty drunk, but harmless so we chatted to them during the flight.
By the end we had seen photos of the stag, and their families. I showed them my video of the train, they were gutted they hadnt found that bar.
One guy was getting a little out of hand by the end, so when we landed, we quickly grabbed our cases and legged it to passport control.
If you are in the EU, you have to use the machines now, the queue was short and Debbie and I were quickly through, Steph had to go to the booth, but it was still a quick service, and we we well ahead of time. This is where short stay is so much better. Meet and greet would not have been ready with the car. We took the short walk back, and it was really easy getting out onto the road, and as soon as we were passed the stressful roundabout, (but not as stressful as when I drive. ) we were on our way with no problems, and got home about 8.30.

Te be honest, I wasnt looking forward to this break away, maybe because I didnt know what to expect, or maybe because I had some stress before we went, but I can honestly say I had a brilliant time.
We were all impressed with Brno, and the city. Three nights was enough, if we had stayed longer, we would have got a train to Bratislava. You can also travel to Vienna and Berlin easily from there.
I would highly recommend going there for a city break.

As always, thanks to anyone that has read this.

Edited at 12:58 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 17, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

No-one stuck in the loo today - how disappointing

Thanks for sharing the trip - sounds like an ideal weekend destination!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
No-one stuck in the loo today - how disappointing

Thanks for sharing the trip - sounds like an ideal weekend destination!
We stopped locking the doors!
Thanks for reading and commenting. We really enjoyed it, full of history and worth going just to have drinks served in trains.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Enjoyed reading your report, I lived in Brno for 2.5 years so was nice to see some familiar places in your report.

Vytopna is a cracking place to eat and drink, it's part of a chain of restaurants, there's a big one in Prague too.

You also made me hungry and want a Trdelnik (The pastry thing)
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List