Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 30 May 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Our West Coast Adventure - May 2017 - Highest highs and a little low

So we have been back from our amazing West Coast adventure a few days now and whilst I promise to get cracking on the trip report very soon I thought I would start with a quick highs and lows post to wet your whistles of whats to come! (Hopefully it will also buy me some time whilst I try to get on top of the unpacking and the mountain of washing!)

It’s fair to say that this really was the trip of a lifetime, something we have dreamed of doing for a very long time and the reality completely blew all our expectations out of the water. For those of you who didn’t see my pre-trip report update before we left, this trip was made all that extra special as since booking back in December we found out we are soon to become a trio as we are expecting a baby in November! So not only a dream holiday but also the last one that would be just the two of us for quite a while… what a way to go out with a bang eh?!

So lets get cracking with the highs and lows (and trust me there are so many highs that it is really hard to choose a stand-out few!)

HIGHS

Disneyland

When deciding to visit the West Coast DLR made it onto the agenda very quickly. Since my first visit to WDW back in 2014 I have been desperate to experience the original Disney park, so much so that it has been the top item on my bucket list for quite a while. Ticking this off the list was a complete dream come true and to say I fell in love with these two parks is a huge understatement. I was expecting to love them but I even surprised myself but just how much! So much so that I am now calling out California Adventure as my favourite of all the Disney Parks (sorry Magic Kingdom, you come a very close second I promise!). I won’t go into detail here of why I loved it so much, I think all the photos will speak for themselves in the full report!

Stunning hotels

Our past three trips to Orlando have seen us staying in villas, and whilst I love the space and flexibility that they offer it was a real treat to stay in hotels on this trip. And I have to say that we were spoilt with some pretty damn gorgeous hotels! So much so that I don’t think I can pick a favourite (ok, ok I admit it, the Vdara in Vegas might just about take the top spot based on the amazing fountain view alone!). The service in each was impeccable and I love how you are made to feel so welcome and valued whilst being a guest there (I am sure a lot of that comes through generous tipping, but what the hell, I’m happy to pay it when you get such an amazing experience!).

Delicious food

As with all our trips to the US, we ate very well! Eating is a key part of what we love about being away and we were lucky to eat in some great restaurants in all the locations we visited. Gorgeous food, amazing locations and stunning views… I can’t wait to share the many, many food photos I have! Sadly being pregnant has played havoc with my appetite so I certainly didn’t put away as much food as I normally would but I can assure you I gave it my damn best!

Hiring a supercar

This will definitely be one of Paul’s highs from the trip and for that reason it makes it on my list too… his face when driving an Audi R8 V10 down the Las Vegas strip will be stay with my for a lifetime (as will the crazy heat that came with being in a convertible in the midday sun!). A complete indulgence but something he was so keen to do (hey, if I get Disneyland he can get the supercar!).

LOWS

Traffic in LA

Only one low, and certainly one that isn’t worth dwelling on, but my goodness driving in LA is horrendous! It seemed to be that no matter what time of the day you are travelling or what direction you are travelling in, you hit standstill traffic and journey times easily treble in length. We were well prepared for this as have heard many times from many people about how bad the traffic can be but the reality really was even worse… two and a quarter hours to do the 35min drive from Santa Monica to Long Beach was probably the breaking point, but luckily at the very end of the trip!

There you go, just a quick sneak peak of what is to come, I promise I will get the first instalment up in the next week or so! Stay tuned!

Edited at 11:02 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Congratulations to you both. Glad to read you had a great trip.

Looking forward to the trippie
Old 30 May 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Sounds amazing Lisa - looking forward to reading the report so hurry up with that washing!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaty
Earning My Ears

So glad you had a fab time and I'm even more excited for DCA now seeing it named as a high! Definitely dreading the LA traffic though...

Looking forward to the rest x
Jaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Eeeeeep this has made me very excited for your TR!

Not sure how I feel about MK being bumped in your faves list though

Xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Congratulations to you both. Glad to read you had a great trip.

Looking forward to the trippie
Thank you so much, such an exciting time! Trippie coming soon I promise!

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Sounds amazing Lisa - looking forward to reading the report so hurry up with that washing!
Haha I am three loads down so getting there, I will get cracking on travel day this weekend for sure!

Originally Posted by Jaty View Post
So glad you had a fab time and I'm even more excited for DCA now seeing it named as a high! Definitely dreading the LA traffic though...

Looking forward to the rest x
It really was the highest of highs for me, you are going to love it! Can't wait to share more photos with you!

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Eeeeeep this has made me very excited for your TR!

Not sure how I feel about MK being bumped in your faves list though

Xxx
Haha trust me it wasn't a decision I took lightly! It was just that good though, who knew a non-castle park could have such an effect!

The rest will be coming very soon! xxx
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like you had a great trip, can't wait for the trip report 😄
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

We're off on our own first West Coast trip soon after many holidays to Florida and can't wait!

I can't wait to read your trippie, any tips and recommendations will be very well received.

Thanks
Old 31 May 17, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
minimacka
Gone all Goofy

I am looking forward to reading your trip report, we have just come back from Orlando and Anna Maria Island and next year we plan on doing the West coast.
x
minimacka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Congratulations on your baby news - sounds like the perfect holiday! Really looking forward to reading your trip report - we are heading to the West Coast in the Summer - getting very excited now!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List