Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
svt153
Very Serious Dibber

Missed connecting flight - our experience

So we were booked to travel home last Friday from Tampa to Philadelphia to Manchester. We originally booked with a 4 hour layover but a few months ago American Airlines changed this yo 1 hour 10 minutes.

All checked in and waiting for our flight at Tampa when the dreaded announcement was made that we were delayed for an hour. This left us with a 10 minute connection to change terminals. I approached the staff who dismissed me and said "Oh it'll wait or you'll have a night in Philadelphia. I told her that it was looking extremely unlikely that we would make our connection and that I would prefer to stay in Tampa but she told us this wasn't an option.

So we took off over an hour late and obviously missed the flight back to Manchester. When we got off the plane we asked a member of staff if the Manchester flight had gone and she reluctantly looked it up and confirmed that we were stranded. I had to ask two further rude staff members what we should do and eventually found ourselves at the customer services desk.

This member of staff told me there was another flight just about to leave for Manchester and she rang the gate to see if they would wait for us. Unfortunately we were too late and it had just departed. It only dawned on us that she was trying to send us to Manchester New Hampshire when she then offered us flights to Boston!

So our only option was the 9pm flight the following day. Boarding cards printed, "you're all set"! The airline were not responsible for arranging overnight accommodation as the delay was weather related. So we were on our own at 10pm in Philadelphia with 2 kids. Oh they did give us a free amenity kit because we couldn't have our luggage!

Thanks to airport Wi-Fi we managed to book a hotel but then had the issue of how to call the hotel to ask for the shuttle to come get us. The AA staff did agree to do this for us! How kind of them!

So lots of people ask about what happens in this scenario and this is what happens. Turns out that if it is a maintenance issue they would cover accommodation but not for weather related delays.

We ended up making the most of it and taking an uber into Philadelphia and our travel insurance will reimburse the hotel costs and subsistence so it's all ok.

I think this policy is the same for Delta and maybe all us airlines. I would still travel indirect again and, despite their obvious lack of customer care, I'd use AA for the right price. I'd advise people to have essentials in their hand luggage and maybe do a little research and the city you may be stranded in!

Edited at 07:25 PM.
svt153 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Purdy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Really good advice. Thanks for posting. We have travelled indirect a few times, often via cities where there is 2 foot of snow at Easter so warm clothes in hand luggage would also be advisable!
Purdy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry for your experience but glad you were able to make the most of it
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
stardoman
Very Serious Dibber

The other thing to remember is that you don't have to accept flight changes. We have just come back from Las Vegas. Shortly after we booked, the travel agent said our flight times on the outbound flight had changed, so instead of having a 2 hour layover in JFK we had 48 minutes.

I refused to accept this, explaining that we'd never get through immigration in that time and we were kept on our original flights. Just as well as we only just made the flight with the 2 hour layover.

Also, if the travel insurance don't think you've left enough time to get to the second flight then they may refuse to pay out.
stardoman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jabbag
Proud to wear my Ears

We missed a connecting flight at JFK last year with AA which was weather related. They couldn't fly us out until the next day so they gave us a voucher for a taxi to a nearby hotel and a voucher for the hotel. They also gave us food vouchers for breakfast and lunch which we used at the airport. They gave us this without us asking for anything so not sure what their policy actually is?
Jabbag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:16 AM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Good advice there. We've always had an extra change of clothing in our hand luggage, initially as clean clothing for toddlers and a change for arriving in hotter climes.
Since we've been flying indirect, it's been in case we get delayed or miss a connection, which happened last year en route from Toronto to NYC.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:23 AM  
Link to this Post
3boys
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Thanks... we are doing this exact trip home in a few weeks!
3boys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm really glad I have seen this thread,as we have indirect flights home in October,MCO-JFK-MAN. Our flight to JFK is scheduled to land at 17:19 and our flight to MAN leaves at 19:30,giving us just over 2 hours! I am slightly worried too about delays and us missing our connection!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

We also missed a connecting flight last year due to a technical problem. This was with Thomas Cook Airlines - it was a through ticket to Grand Cayman via Miami.
Please note that since TC are now practically merging their operations with their sister / parent ? company Condor, they are offering lots of through ticketed flights like these.
Let me also tell you that they have zero assistance or strategy plan for anyone like ourselves that end up missing a connection even if they ARE aware of your fate before take off on a 9 hour flight, and even if the delay was their fault !

We were falsely reassured by cabin crew that we would be assisted through the airport to catch our onward flight - which turned out not to be true. There was no assistance whatsoever, waiting at the other end - not even any TC staff on site at all the night we flew, or the next morning at MIA.
There was not even a 24 hour help line in the UK - the only advice we could find about missing connections on their web site was to report to the TC desk in Manchester - ha ha very funny when you are stranded in MIA !
We very nearly lost our luggage as TC assured us in writing and verbally that we did not need to pick it up in MIa it would automatically be transferred through (we saw it sitting on the floor, by complete accident, when passing through the baggage hall on our way out !).

However, lessons we have now learnt when taking a connecting flight ;

1. Do a little research on airport hotels, and places to eat, at your transit airport. Prices, locations etc - bearing in mind you might be late landing - just knowing there is a 24 hour Subway and its location in or near the airport, could be very handy.

2. Do take relevant airline helpline numbers with you and find out what their opening hours are.

3. Do include your in transit airport when informing your debit/ credit card supplier if it is in a different country.

4. Do take a small change of clothes/ underwear/ toothbrush / any essential meds. etc in your hand luggage.

5. Do ask your airline what the contingency plan is should you miss the connection - preferably in writing !

6.Do a little research on when the next alternative flights to your destination are, so you will already have an idea of what your options are going to be, and will be aware how long your are likely to be stuck in transit. Transiting within a country when being at your final destination on time is critically important (ie for a cruise, wedding etc) you might want to look at alternative transport (trains/ car hire) but be aware that this is likely to absolve the airline of their responsibility to get you to the final destination and may or may not affect an insurance claim. You should always check the consequences if you decide to go down this route. Better still plan on travelling out earlier to avoid such stress in the first place !

7 Don't take as gospel what cabin crew or admin staff tell you (even if it s in writing !).

Basically have your OWN plan.

Hopefully you will not need to use the above research, but it will help to reduce any stress you might be feeling over missing a connection - and clearly will be invaluable if you do ! Preparing for the worst will at least put you on the right foot when you land having missed, or about to miss a connection.

Hope this helps !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 10:00 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Mobile

I think I may be the only person that actually wishes we miss our connecting flight in Newark. Would love a day in New York. I will pack my hand luggage accordingly as we have a connection time of 1hr 45.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List