Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 27 Dec 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Best Gulf Coast Beach for Teens and Younger Kids too.

We will be heading out to Orlando in August for 7 days on site at OKW followed by a couple of days at Universals Hard Rock Hotel. We are then looking to grab five nights on the gulf coast in a big old villa.

The group is made up of... 3 adults (proper ones who pay for stuff and everything!) and 5 kids g18, g16, b13, b11 and b8. (who mostly all get along with each other).

We need somewhere that has a lovely and easy to find beach as well as stuff to do for grumpy 18 yr olds. Water Parks, Mini Golf, Everglades, Fishing, Boating, Eating, Shopping etc.

It would be great to be close enough to Disney to pop back for the day if we fancied it.

Our return flight is around midday so it would be good not to have to leave the villa too early to get back to MCO
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you want to go to the Everglades you need to go 200 miles South.
Naples is a great place - they have a small but very nice water park, some great beaches and shopping and nice restaurants. The Everglades is close. You can also do a quick trip over Alligator Alley to Miami for a day trip, Sanibel, Fort Myers etc. Also the outlet mall at Corkscrew. Not exactly a teenage place so to speak as it’s quite upmarket and like a lot of the West Coast also has a large well heeled older population.
Alternately somewhere like Anna Maria, Indian Shores etc then close to Busch, Tampa etc?

Edited at 08:24 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

5 nights is really only 4 full days so you will not have time to get everything you list.

As already said if you want to visit the Everglades (one of the four gone) then you need to be south and forget dashing back to Disney.
The only water park near the South Florida Gulf Coast is at Cape Coral so Naples is probably your best bet but where you will find a large villa that doesn't cost a fortune I do not know.

If your return flight is midday from MCO that means 9.00a.m. at the airport so leave Naples at 5.00a.m.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

My teens loved Sanibel, Naples and Barefoot beach. We stayed in a villa in Cape Coral for ten nights and loved the malls nearby and the beaches and the chance to chill out by the pool
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
5 nights is really only 4 full days so you will not have time to get everything you list.

As already said if you want to visit the Everglades (one of the four gone) then you need to be south and forget dashing back to Disney.
The only water park near the South Florida Gulf Coast is at Cape Coral so Naples is probably your best bet but where you will find a large villa that doesn't cost a fortune I do not know.

If your return flight is midday from MCO that means 9.00a.m. at the airport so leave Naples at 5.00a.m.
There’s a nice water park in Naples itself as well. Not big but it’s very pleasant. Run by the local council. They are currently adding more to it. We have been 3-4 times:

napleswaterpark/

Edited at 01:26 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks guys. Didn't know about the water park in Naples. On further inspection, flights leave Orlando at 5pm so not such a worry getting back for the flight. We don't need to tick every box on the list, we are two families so might split up for some activities. Being within driving distance of malls isn't all that important but I guess Naples probably has good malls too?

We have stayed in Naples before but we weren't catering for teenagers then and didn't take much notice of malls and that kind of thing. We spent most of our days on the beach back then.

Edited at 02:57 PM.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Thanks guys. Didn't know about the water park in Naples. On further inspection, flights leave Orlando at 5pm so not such a worry getting back for the flight. We don't need to tick every box on the list, we are two families so might split up for some activities. Being within driving distance of malls isn't all that important but I guess Naples probably has good malls too?

We have stayed in Naples before but we weren't catering for teenagers then and didn't take much notice of malls and that kind of thing. We spent most of our days on the beach back then.
Excellent malls in Naples itself, and one of the best outlet malls I have ever been to (if not the best) at Corkscrew (Miromar up near Fort Myers- about a 30 min drive). Prices are often lower than in, say, Orlando.

miromaroutlets/

Near there now, there is also Coconut Point as well with lots of shops and some restaurants including a Tommy Bahama (although I would recommend the original in Naples Old Town as a must visit) .

simon/mall/coconut-point

There is also a very good Swamp Sanctuary near there- well worth a trip you go over these wooden walkways over swamps- may see gators or even Bobcats.

This woman had a bit of a shock there!

Then near there are also Gulf Coast Town Centre with some decent chain restaurants. A great afternoon out is a trip up to the Corkscrew Sanctuary, then to Miromar Outlets, then something to eat.

When in Naples we always drive back flight day, no problems.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
Old 28 Dec 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

We got some good bargains at the Sanibel outlet and also Miromar and if your teens love burgers, they’ll love Ford Garage restaurants
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed at Bonita Springs, just north of Naples a few years ago. The beaches there are great and family friendly. We were also luck to have a few dolphins swim within 50 yards of us which was a great experience.

From Naples, you have fairly quick access to the Everglades and also plenty of food and shopping options.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Excellent malls in Naples itself, and one of the best outlet malls I have ever been to (if not the best) at Corkscrew (Miromar up near Fort Myers- about a 30 min drive). Prices are often lower than in, say, Orlando.

miromaroutlets/

Near there now, there is also Coconut Point as well with lots of shops and some restaurants including a Tommy Bahama (although I would recommend the original in Naples Old Town as a must visit) .

simon/mall/coconut-point

There is also a very good Swamp Sanctuary near there- well worth a trip you go over these wooden walkways over swamps- may see gators or even Bobcats.

This woman had a bit of a shock there!

Then near there are also Gulf Coast Town Centre with some decent chain restaurants. A great afternoon out is a trip up to the Corkscrew Sanctuary, then to Miromar Outlets, then something to eat.

When in Naples we always drive back flight day, no problems.
DH and I had a walk at Corkscrew swamp when we went last summer. We arrived at the opening time and were the first there, after staff. I was terrified. We could hear the gators grunting and saw wet foot prints, something had crossed over the boardwalk, apart from that didn't actually see much. After half an hour or so we finally did see other people which put me a bit at ease! Glad I didn't bump into a panther!

Also had half a day at the zoo in Naples.

Edited at 08:50 PM.
MinniMouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List