Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Snow and work

It’s snowed heavily all day yesterday and overnight and the roads by me are terrible.
I watched two cars spin out of control this morning right by my house.
I’m not a confident driver at all so called into work this morning to say I don’t want to risk it.

I’ve had 5 calls now from different levels of management forcing me to come in with one of them suggesting I take 3 different buses.

I explained each time that the roads are very bad but I’m not being listened to so I guess I’ll have to try and hope I don’t have an accident!

Ridiculous eh!

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wizzyanne View Post
It’s snowed heavily all day yesterday and overnight and the roads by me are terrible.
I watched two cars spin out of control this morning right by my house.
I’m not a confident driver at all so called into work this morning to say I don’t want to risk it.

I’ve had 5 calls now from different levels of management forcing me to come in with one of them suggesting I take 3 different buses.

I explained each time that the roads are very bad but I’m not being listened to so I guess I’ll have to try and hope I don’t have an accident!

Ridiculous eh!

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.
It isn't necessarily ridiculous. Snow isn't a rare thing in the UK (it isn't common but it is not rare) and so things can't just stop because we have had a little white stuff fall.

The company is totally within their rights to ask you to come in though, they aren't doing anything wrong (legally).

Employers though are encouraged to be sensible about this, after all it is better you miss one day today than 4 weeks due to a broken bone.

However, it looks like they are digging their heels in, so as you've asked and they've refused, not turning up now is a direct refusal to comply with an order - so probably a formal warning.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Bit ridiculous at the moment when we are asked to keep the pressure off the NHS . Mind you I broke my elbow at the beginning of lockdown one so I’m very aware of the risks.
Covid is certainly sorting the men from the boys when it comes to how seriously companies are taking their duty of care to their employees.

Edited at 01:23 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Yes I realise this. I still find it ridiculous! Forcing staff in during deep snow AND a pandemic really does take the biscuit but hey, better go before I get a warning 😤
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Bit ridiculous at the moment when we are asked to keep the pressure off the NHS . Mind you I broke my elbow at the beginning of lockdown one so I’m very aware of the risks.
Ouch! Hope you’re all healed now.
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

If all of the 5 levels of management are in, it kind of looks as if you should be too. Just drive slowly and allow extra time for stopping, try not to use your brakes and leave a massive space between you and the car in front at all times, even when stationary.

If you're not confident enough to drive, you need to take the bus. It's not ridiculous to expect you in to work if the roads are passable which they must be if you're watching cars go past your house.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Obviously go by bus no matter how long it takes, but make sure you finish at your finishing time , that way youve made the effort to get in
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Ouch! Hope you’re all healed now.
Thanks , I suspect I really needed more treatment as I’ve a little bit of restricted movement nearly a year later but it’s just one of those things with Covid, follow ups just weren’t happening .

I once called into work saying the snow was so bad and I’d skidded several times in the first ten minutes that I was giving up , when I got in the next day it turned out that whilst we’d had six inches overnight , work had half an inch , luckily they understood Lol

Edited at 01:29 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes I realise this. I still find it ridiculous! Forcing staff in during deep snow AND a pandemic really does take the biscuit but hey, better go before I get a warning 😤
Good Luck and Safe Travels.

Personally I'm not bothered by snowy roads, many years living in Canada, if I didn't drive in snow I'd only be able to go out 6 months a year.

That said what worries me about snow driving is the same as any other day (just amplified). It's other drivers. I'm pretty sure in my abilities, and I drive defensively in snow and ice (slower than normal, longer gaps between me and car in front, test slowing down earlier than normal, no "quick-jumps" out of junctions).

However others seem to drive like its 20c and dry, and thats when they fish-tail and then they hit me or cause an obstruction.

So keep your wits about you, and take it easy. If you can get public transport or walk consider that instead. Most public transport drivers have been trained to drive in these circumstances, they are also much heavier vehicles so have much greater "purchase" on the road
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d be more worried about the three buses and social distancing at the moment.