Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I despise HS2 - the environmental destruction it has caused is beyond comprehension. All for 20 minutes saving on the train that, by the time it is up and running, only a fraction of people will even take advantage of due to the shift to flexible working that is currently happening. Can you even imagine what good £106 BILLION could do in other areas?

I have signed countless petition and supported Chris Packham on his campaign against HS2 - I know nothing about the protestors or the tunnel but if they are doing it for the right reasons, good on them. We need more people to stand up for what they believe in, in my opinion.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I wonder if the Victorians, such as Brunel, encountered such stiff opposition against progress?

Imagine that for a moment ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Environmental concerns form a broad church . I fully expect they have the likes of architects and construction/civil engineers among their numbers - we seemed to have moved a long way from the likes of swampy (green the protesters I saw in London among them many upper middle class professional (retired) folks so the construction of them doesn’t surprise me. ) What does generally shock me is this activity was allowed to happen and went undetected for so long - imagine if it had been a terrorist organisation wanting to plant a devise under a mainline station ? That is a HUGE worry for me and that is where I think the questions should start
This is what concerned me.
One would have thought that a protest camp next to the building of a major rail construction which climate campaigners have repeatedly denounced would have attracted a little attention from someone in authority.

I read about this in the London Standard online. They said that the protesters had the support of local residents who are against the work of HS2 and residents had helped with the removal of the soil. The protesters are also providing meals and beds for the homeless.
One of the protesters is a lecturer who said he is living off his savings as he believes the dangers to the climate is too much of a risk to his children to do nothing.
The protesters say that 108 Ancient Woodlands are in danger, a HS2 spokesperson said it is only 43 Ancient Woodlands and 80% will remain intact. So, by their own words, they will destroy 20% of 43 of England's Ancient Woodlands. Plus the homes and businesses that will need to destroyed/moved.

The last report I read was that HS2 security were attempting to remove the protesters by accessing the tunnels with crowbars. I know some people were concerned that the protesters did not have the ability to excavate and maintain the tunnels, I wonder if the security forces have had the proper training to prevent any tragedy befalling the protesters or guards.

Edited at 09:34 PM.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Protest by all means, but this smacks of selfishness and irresponsible behaviour by the protesters - no regard for surrounding buildings, their own safety or those who will be utilised to secure and police the area.

There are better ways to protest, digging tunnels isn’t the answer.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

The main idea behind HS2, and links further north was to create faster direct routes between major cities. This would then allow the existing lines to operate more local stopping services, which can't run at the moment because slow stopping trains hold up the faster ones!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
The main idea behind HS2, and links further north was to create faster direct routes between major cities. This would then allow the existing lines to operate more local stopping services, which can't run at the moment because slow stopping trains hold up the faster ones!
Sounds like progress to me!
Old 28 Jan 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
in the north east, if and its a big if..., we ever get HS2 it will run on existing ECML lines so no benefit whatsoever

hs2.uk/stations/newcastle/

but hey you can get from london to birmingham 17 mins quicker so all good...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by vowels View Post
The protesters say that 108 Ancient Woodlands are in danger, a HS2 spokesperson said it is only 43 Ancient Woodlands and 80% will remain intact. So, by their own words, they will destroy 20% of 43 of England's Ancient Woodlands. Plus the homes and businesses that will need to destroyed/moved.
Playing devil's advocate here...

Without HS2, it means transport will have to use roads, air and existing railways. And as the numbers of road trips increase we may have to build more roads. This may result in Ancient Woodlands* needing to be destroyed.

So it comes down to whether you think transporting people, freight and goods via road or air is better for the environment than using a brand new high-speed rail network with lower carbon emissions.

(* why the capital letters? Is it a brand name? )

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Playing devil's advocate here...

Without HS2, it means transport will have to use roads, air and existing railways. And as the numbers of road trips increase we may have to build more roads. This may result in Ancient Woodlands* needing to be destroyed.

So it comes down to whether you think transporting people, freight and goods via road or air is better for the environment than using a brand new high-speed rail network with lower carbon emissions.

(* why the capital letters? Is it a brand name? )
which wont be carbon neutral (taking into account its construction emissions & running) for 120 years

Environment groups have condemned the decision to build HS2 as the company behind the scheme admitted it would never become carbon neutral over its 120-year projected lifetime.
thetimes/article/h...span-wk3s29pkl
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
which wont be carbon neutral (taking into account its construction emissions & running) for 120 years
Yes, I never said it would. Neither would driving cars down the motorway nor flying from Manchester to Heathrow.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List