Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Nov 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Bayous to Beaches. 4 States 4 Weeks. Pre Travel Day

Sunday 29 September

Welcome to From the Bayou to the Beach - A 4 state road trip over 4 weeks taking in Florida, Louisiana, Georgia and South Carolina. As the majority of the holiday takes place in or around Florida I am writing it here but will link the non Florida days in the General Trip Section as well

This is us

Two fifty somethings, often found in bars in New Orleans

We have had a tough couple of years with life randomly throwing crappy stuff at us like confetti so this trip was all about living life in the moment and loving every minute of it

The link to the pre-trip is HERE.

It’s shorter than usual as I vowed to myself not to start one until I had finished a blog, or diary, about my surgery and brush with ovarian cancer at Christmas last year. Its not even a diary really, more a random set of mainly drug induced (prescription only!) jottings that I hoped could help someone else on their own journey to recovery. It’s just reached its first thousand views and I have had a couple of messages from people commenting that it’s helped - that makes me so happy. If you are interested, or think it might help someone you know …..do pm me or have a look at the pre trip.

What with writing that and working, I ran out of time to finalise the holiday plan. Oh the Dibb shame.

We were going with a reasonable list of things to see and do and most importantly there was a list of places to eat. We are notoriously dreadful if we are hungry and wandering around looking for somewhere - it ends in disaster, without fail!

On to pre travel day.

The day before had been a bit stressful.

Well, relative holiday stress that is.

We are going with Norwegian and I just find missing the extra 3 kgs per person that you get with other airlines cause me so much stress.

We had already booked an extra case for coming home which was in one of the other cases and of course that gobbles up some of the weight.

Despite packing light (and we did wear pretty much everything), I was struggling to make it all fit, especially as I wanted to organise the cases to work with the number of stops we were making - 10 hotels in the first 11 days.

I also had all the heavier and larger toiletries for the longer stay in Florida.

Yes, I know, I could buy these out there.

In the end Andy said, just add another case.

It’s so simple isn’t it.
So obvious.

I wondered if it would have been cheaper to ditch the toiletries and buy them there but as we used all the cases and allowance on the return, we would have needed to buy an extra suitcase instead so clearly not as cost effective. Ha ha. Holiday maths is amazing.

I hate luggage with a passion.

As a side note, the Norwegian flights in hindsight were really not as cheap as I think we told ourselves.

It ended up as £539 each for the flight, the meals and the extra cases.

That was with the bagging extra legroom seats for free as they do now charge £75 for these.

But I am sure we could have got a similar price with another carrier in the end after adding back in all the extras.

And the food service is not as good.

Hubby still a big Norwegian fan. Me, not so much now.

All this stress and that’s just the cases. Ha Ha

Eventually they were sorted, clothes all into cubes for different days and arranged so we would open up one case at a time.

Packing chaos stage

I thought this cover was a good idea and then decided it wasn't as the elastic strap at the base would catch in everything

The hats were such a pain … all very well thinking you will be all stylish travellers like Dirk Bogarde and Bridget Bardot but more like Billy Ray Cyrus and Bridget Jones in reality

The cubes and packing plan mainly worked although my notes tell me I still spent a fair few morning re arranging cases. I am sure this is not linked in any way to the shopping haul.

When Pre-Travel day arrived, there wasn’t much left to do and no mad cleaning as DS1 would be at home. There was a big cook up to make sure he would be well fed

Suitable out of office message was put on

And new phone cover on - even tho there is no Disney this trip

I checked us in on line to the Premier Inn - this had been paid for already (£92) to include breakfast but we hoped to be there in time to venture out at dinner time.

Not a bargain price but I wanted the convenience of being near the terminal.
Andy will be in sole change of the cases as I can’t really lift them and I didn’t want him battling too far with them.

See how thoughtful I am.

I also added early check in to our upcoming flight to New Orleans which was $60 across the two flights. I was hoping this would avoid the overhead storage carnage we have previously encountered on internal flights.

At 1030 on pre travel day, Andy enquired if we washed his jogging trousers now whether they would be dry in time.

Not that we have had the trip planned for 6 months and I have been packing the case for the last few days.

Unbelievable.

They were duly washed and hung out to dry - they can’t be tumbled in case they shrink. Well, he’s gonna have a soggy bottom if they don’t dry in time …

Then was the part of pre travel day that drags.

You have finished the final running around and are just waiting to set off.

We watched the Grand Prix and generally faffed about waiting for our taxi which pitched up at 3.15.

I did get a bit tearful saying goodbye to DS1, a combination of knowing I would miss him (and the doggos) and the realisation that after all the waiting I was finally going away.

Gatwick is always a bit of a pain of a journey and as Andy and the taxi driver were talking footy, I decided to put my earphones in.

I did pick up some of the conversation when the driver asked where we were going and was a bit alarmed to hear Andy say we were going via Atlanta at some point (hmmm, no, I don’t think so).

This is the joy of the non-planning partner.

There was also a lot of confusion about where we were going in the taxi.

The flight tomorrow is from South Terminal but we were staying at the PI North so after several minutes of exchanges where I was trying really hard not to say “No, non-planner, I AM right, it is North”, I just pulled up the postcode and that settled it.

Tsk Tsk.

As is tradition it rained. All the way.

As it’s a road trip, I thought I would get you in the mood -here is some road

The journey took just over 2 and half hours.

More road

Not helped by the taxi driver still taking us to the OTHER PI which is just a little way from the terminal.

We finally got there

and there was further faff about where we would be picked up on our return.

Do remember this - I will NEVER book us to stay at a terminal from which we are NOT departing or arriving again.

I couldn’t see what was so hard to grasp myself but it clearly was.

At check in, I added on the dinner to the booking as we now didn’t fancy going over to the terminal.

Andy went over to get us booked in - it was 6.15 and they gave us a table for 7.45.

Who comes up with the interior furnishing here? Have they tried wheeling cases over this carpet? It’s the most wheel resistant fabric I have encountered ... we struggled to pull or push the cases against the infernal flooring and I only had the small cabin case to wheel.

I reckon it was the weight of Andy’s (still wet) joggers that were hanging off the cases that were causing the anti-drag factor, but he was not a happy chappy.

Naturally, we were the furthest possible room from the lift and quite possibly actually in that other PI which is offsite we walked so blinking far.

We were both a bit grumpy by now with the travel, being hangry and grappling with the cases so it was a relief to get into the room and just take a minute to chill out

It’s the normal PI room.

Enhanced though with the two half open bottles of wine that we brought with us as they would surely have gone off while we were away.

These were duly consumed while we looked over the dinner menu and I unpacked our stuff for tomorrow. Room approx. 5 mins after arriving

I put a few things on this shelf under the hangers. And then promptly covered them up with clothes. Do remember this ….

Menu was in the room so we decided what we wanted before hand while finishing off the bottles of wine we had brought from home.

There was a queue to be seated , it moved quite quickly. No fast pass lane. Tsk tsk.

Went for the Lamb Koftas and Chicken and Chorizo skewers - split them so we had one of each. Both very nice

Beer and House Rose

Mains - we paid £2 extra for the mixed grill and I had the bacon double cheeseburger. Meals took a little while to come out but were both really very good.

We had been chatting to the table next to us who were celebrating an 80th birthday , they very generously gave us a slice each of their M&S cake so no need for dessert

We thought about a drink in the bar but it was packed out so couldn’t be bothered.

Back in the room, with the aircon cranked up to speed the jogger drying process, we checked in that all was ok at home.

We must have watched something on tv for a bit - no doubt it was wildly exciting but not exciting enough for me to have made a note.

I checked umpteen times that I had an alarm set but as that means having the sound up on the phone, it also meant a lot of pinging noises until I had the sense to turn off message notifications.

A deep and refreshing night of sleep then lay ahead

Of course it didn’t, its pre travel night for goodness sake.

It is holiday law you must meet travel day completely knackered before you have started!

Travel day is HERE

Edited at 06:05 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yay you’ve started!
A relatively smooth pre travel day.
I can relate to packing frustration too, I hate knowing I’ve only got a certain weight allowance and what with our holiday shopping addiction to think of it all just gets very stressful! You’ll just have to go PE next time Amanda, tell Andy it’s imperative for mental health reasons 😂
I too get a bit tearful when leaving for the airport, I think it’s the sudden realisation that the holiday you have planned (or not in your case &#128521 for months is suddenly upon you. When we eventually (hooray) get to leave the kids at home I think I’ll be an emotional basket case saying goodbye!
I can’t believe the taxi driver struggled with the dropping and picking up from different terminals, it’s really not difficult 😳.
Nice chilled out time in the room with leftover wine, absolutely the right thing to do so not to waste it 😆
I’m now wondering what you managed to leave behind in the room when you put clothes on top? It wasn’t your passports was it 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Yay you’ve started!
A relatively smooth pre travel day.
I can relate to packing frustration too, I hate knowing I’ve only got a certain weight allowance and what with our holiday shopping addiction to think of it all just gets very stressful! You’ll just have to go PE next time Amanda, tell Andy it’s imperative for mental health reasons 😂
I too get a bit tearful when leaving for the airport, I think it’s the sudden realisation that the holiday you have planned (or not in your case &#128521 for months is suddenly upon you. When we eventually (hooray) get to leave the kids at home I think I’ll be an emotional basket case saying goodbye!
I can’t believe the taxi driver struggled with the dropping and picking up from different terminals, it’s really not difficult 😳.
Nice chilled out time in the room with leftover wine, absolutely the right thing to do so not to waste it 😆
I’m now wondering what you managed to leave behind in the room when you put clothes on top? It wasn’t your passports was it 😂
I laughed about PE and immediately read it out to Andy there’s always this denial that we won’t do as much shopping as the last trip (and we shopped a lot this time round)

Yes I think it’s relief/tiredness/excitement and travel nerves that make me blub when I leave the house . The boys think it’s funny

The poor driver. He was clear what he was doing, as was Andy. Just they were both clear on completely different places in their heads He’s a really lovely chap , I think we totally confused him

How did you guess what was missing

Thanks for reading.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What a busy day! What is it with men and washing of vital clothes! I hope they dried in time!

Dinner looks lovely! And free cake has to be a plus!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a busy day! What is it with men and washing of vital clothes! I hope they dried in time!

Dinner looks lovely! And free cake has to be a plus!
I know, it’s hilarious isn’t it Yes there were dry thanks to hairdryer and air con assistance
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm so glad its not just me who has a husband who suddenly announces they need a particular item of clothing. I was kind of hoping that he had to wear them a bit soggy , I know it's mean but it would have served him right.

The packing conundrum was solved fairly easily in the end adding the extra case on upfront at least meant you didn't have to rearrange everything a hundred times, just 99 times

Ah and then you had the nice refreshing sleep you need just before travel day I hope you managed to nap on the plane.

I'm looking forward to the full report, ok it's going to have ups and downs, but still I can't wait to find out what places I'm going to be adding to my list to visit one day.

Xx

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great you've started, been looking forward to this. Love your suitcase cover. Laughing at your non-planner frustrations, same in this house lol Looking forward to the next day

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm so glad its not just me who has a husband who suddenly announces they need a particular item of clothing. I was kind of hoping that he had to wear them a bit soggy , I know it's mean but it would have served him right.

The packing conundrum was solved fairly easily in the end adding the extra case on upfront at least meant you didn't have to rearrange everything a hundred times, just 99 times

Ah and then you had the nice refreshing sleep you need just before travel day I hope you managed to nap on the plane.

I'm looking forward to the full report, ok it's going to have ups and downs, but still I can't wait to find out what places I'm going to be adding to my list to visit one day.

Xx
I know I couldn't believe it ..
By the end of the holiday I had managed to completely pack a couple of the cases so they could stay in the car or room and not be opened .. just took me a while to get it right
We did have such a great time - its always an adventure though

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
Great you've started, been looking forward to this. Love your suitcase cover. Laughing at your non-planner frustrations, same in this house lol Looking forward to the next day
Thank you x Its quite sweet really that he completely lets me do the planning and can rock up with almost no clue of the plans
Old 15 Feb 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I've finally got around to finding your trippie and I'm going to binge it now as I'm having a very quiet day at work due to storm Denis!

I totally get having the non planning partner. That's us too, and it drives me nuts hearing him talk all sorts of nonsense to folk we meet when he in fact has no idea what our plans are!

Great start

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
I've finally got around to finding your trippie and I'm going to binge it now as I'm having a very quiet day at work due to storm Denis!

I totally get having the non planning partner. That's us too, and it drives me nuts hearing him talk all sorts of nonsense to folk we meet when he in fact has no idea what our plans are!

Great start
Hello there

Thank you - ha ha I normally am quite appreciative of the fact that I am left to do the planning in peace - I just worry sometimes if we somehow got separated he genuinely wouldn't know where we were headed