Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
yeah annoying BUT in no way unique or limited in scope to lawyers.

If I had fiver for every time someone has phoned, knocked on the door, asked at a party for advice on their computer/wifi problems and apparently it should always be a favour.

Just a couple of my fave examples. Hairdresser comes to the house with laptop. It's badly infected, overheating (fan clogged with dust) and slow. Whilst wife's hair was sorted, I took the laptop apart, cleaned it all out, put it back, backed up, blanked the OS, reinstalled the apps and restored the data. Put on decent malware detection and handed it back. Not so much as a thanks but there was a bill for £100 for the hair.

Electrician turns up as agreed, "hey you work with computers I cant get my invoices out?". He does an outside light whilst I fix a badly corrupted hard disk, recover his data, set him up with a backup procedure and redownload a new update to his invoicing app... which he delightedly used to produce my £250+vat bill.

It's just... people.
Snap I’m in the same boat the favours never go both ways
Old 13 Oct 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Happens in all careers. My neighbour is a paramedic and helped another neighbour out when he fell even though he was off duty.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Used to happen all the time with students when I was lecturing. I just used to say that I wasn’t covered by insurance to give advice and point them to the CAB!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it’s disgraceful- unless it’s a close friend or family member people should not be approached out of work for ‘a favour’. Plain rude x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JamesL
VIP Dibber

JamesL's Reviews
A man asks a lawyer how much they would charge to answer 3 questions. £1000 came the response. Wow, that's a bit pricey isn't it? "Maybe" says the lawyer - now what's your third question?
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
We have a large yellow van from a well known breakdown company and you would be surprised how many knock on our door with a “can you just” . If the van is there it means he isn’t working and he’s not insured . He always gives them the number to ring for assistance but you’d be amazed at abuse we’ve had when he says no . Complete strangers ! We sat down one Boxing Day for dinner when someone knocked, nothing surprises me anymore .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As a lecturer I once had a student come to my house on a Sunday afternoon to complain about not passing his assignment. He knew one of my neighbours so came round with them. The funniest was a colleague who was in the toilet cubicle when a student pushed an assignment under the door and asked her to take a look at it.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
It is annoying, and it happens with other occupations. My husband is a carpenter and the amount of people that ask if he can just pop around to hang a door - like it’s a 5 minute job. The best was someone who lives over the road (i’d never spoke to them before), she came over and asked me if my husband could come over to show her husband how to finish off the work that someone else hand started and hadn’t returned to finish - I was flabbergasted - he didn’t go over!
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Absolutely taking the Micheal (I would use a different word off the dibb).

I get people calling me all hours for quotes that they're in no hurry for, and for free advice (they think I'm too stupid to realise what they're doing).

I rarely answer my phone even during the day when I'm not working, as I can often suss out the time wasters even from their messages.

This is how the timewasters are listed in my phone (I have dozens of them).

Edited at 08:13 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I must be in the minority here,because I also work long hours & can go months without a day off work,but this would not bother me in the slightest.
It’s nice to be nice & I would never hesitate to do someone a favour ,even if it puts me out.
I always think,that I may be the one,needing a favour next time & that’s what I live by.
It may be a 5 minute phonecall,that could be taken with your feet up,with a wine in your hand.
Just my opinion,but can’t see why you would be raging.
Tracy x