Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 May 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
onetoescape
Excited about Disney

It is relatively easy. There are some things I found a little interesting im just back. First one is there are a lot of roadworks at the moment while you dont need to take diversions it just something to note. The second is Americans are a tad more aggressive in changing lanes and indicators are in rare use. If there is a gap to get in they will take it. Going from the airport to our hotel it was only 4 or 5 turns. We stayed at Cabana Bay and going from Cabana Bay to Disney was only a couple of turns. You are mostly on freeways so is very simple. Road signs are very clear. Again Disney has a fair amount of roadworks as well just something to know. Also my car had carplay in it which made it even easier so if you have iphone that may be an option as well. You will do fine and it was easy driving over there.
onetoescape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by onetoescape View Post
The second is Americans are a tad more aggressive in changing lanes and indicators are in rare use. If there is a gap to get in they will take it.
In the rush period on say the I4 it's pretty manic, and like over here if you don't assert yourself they will weave and jump in front.

The US was once a place of low limits, for fuel conservation I believe, but those limits have risen and ours have fallen. We also have a lot more revenue generating cameras on clear visibility straight roads, or so it seems.

I would say I now drive more aggressively there than I do here and certainly faster.

The only issue for me is reacting to people drifting when they text. You can predict most moves even when indicators are not used, but texting and its effect cannot be predicted
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Layton79
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

This is brilliant thank you so so much
Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
I know it must be boring by now hearing us all say its going to be fine. So this you-tuber's guide for Brits driving in Orlando lets you SEE for yourself :-)

Layton79 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
dskills
Helping Mickey

Mobile

First time driver few days ago In orlando! Loved it! Only thing I found was stay in middle/left lane as right can quickly turn into a right only lane. Also on idrive it can be 3 then 2 lanes so be aware
dskills is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Layton79 View Post
Hi I’m visiting Orlando for the first time late May. I’m taking my sister and her two children and I will be the driver for the duration. I’m absolutly petrified! I’m ok with an automatic as I’ve recently started driving one here but the freeways, traffic signals and everything else are making my sick with worry. So any pearls of wisdom for a first timer and is there a website or something I can go on so I can look at traffic lights etc? Sort of practice but not 😂😂
We have all had that sense of nervousness when thinking about driving in florida for the first time so you are not alone. All I can say is you will get the hang of it all so very quickly. Like other posts I now much prefer to drive out here than I do in the uk. Big lanes, lots of space, more sensible speed, good signs. You will be fine - honestly !

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List