Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 May 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Help - filling up with gas

Having a great time here despite the bad weather week 1 but will need to fill up with petrol today or tomorrow & no idea what to expect. I believe you have to pay 1st at kiosk but how do I know the amount before I fill up?

Have also heard you should use cash rather than card is that right?

Just having a minor panic!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Go in and ask for $20 and see what that gives you if you don't need that much just go back in and they will refund you and we always use cash for gas ⛽️
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

use cash

pay inside then fill up

the gas is cheap in the US.

if your gauge is on 1/4 full you can go with $20
if your gauge is on E ( fuel low warning) you can go with $30

you won't have the tank full though but that will keep you going

you can also go with $40 if you want to fill up properly
if you can't pump for that much, go back inside and get your change.

ask for a receipt if you're returning the car after the fill up

be aware that pump colors are different in the US
Green = Diesel. So don't touch that

your car runs on unleaded fuel (regular) usually a black nozzle.

you will find several grades on the pump. Put whatever is lowest (85 or 87) don't pump premium or higher grades, there is simply no need to, those are rental cars, not lightning mcqueens .

you may need to lift the lever on which the nozzle was resting to activate the pump (after you're prepaid) and push the button to select fuel grade

don't worry, and if you struggle, remember there is a call button by the pumps.

Edited at 01:00 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Hi Serene, don't panic, but I know where you're coming from if it's your first time, I was the same. Already fab advice given, just wanted to add, there is, at least one gas station company that charges waaaayyyy above the regular price, just check what the other stations are charging when you're out and about, and that will give you a good idea of the 'going rate' - few cents over is ok, but the one that I'm referring to - sorry, can't remember the name - is literally, daylight robbery.

After you've filled up the first time, it's pretty much plain sailing after that - you'll be fine.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

never had an issue using a card but as above ask for say $30 on pump 2

the pump will stop at $30 or if you didnt need $30 go back in for refund on the diff

i usually use the speedway opp disney springs, suprisingly cheap for the location & perfectly safe no dodgy characters hanging about

the lever to lift is the weirdest part tbh
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you all for your advice, feel much happier knowing how it works & how much to pay
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

We usually use Racetrac or Wawa not the smaller independent ones ,if you have any issues they will see you on the camera and they will usually pop out and help you if you are stuck .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wawa gas stations are great. Lovely and clean inside, safe, friendly staff and ATMs that don't charge a withdrawal fee.

Mick
Old 25 May 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Wawa gas stations are great. Lovely and clean inside, safe, friendly staff and ATMs that don't charge a withdrawal fee.

Mick
Yes, totally agree with Mick that WAWA is a good option and if you're lucky to be there at certain times of the year you might even get a free coffee.

We were there last September and it was National Coffee Day on the 28th and WAWA were giving away free coffee. We had one each and we could have had any size, I don't even think you needed to buy any petrol/gas, they also had a free coffee day back in April.

National Coffee Day this year is on 1st October.

Anyway, good luck with your first visit and as quoted above there's just a few stations where prices are sky-high so watch out for those.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
thebroons
slightly serious Dibber

I just send the wife in to pay I stand at pump and fill up,then I get her to bring out a gallon cup of Mountain Dew for my tank😎
thebroons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List