Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 May 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Sixt used to be the cheapest with their young drivers surcharge capped at $99 however they've changed that now and quite expensive.

I have a young drivers package with Alamo which is prepaid so avoids any charges locally. It includes up to 4 drivers (3 of which can be aged 21 to 24) and also includes a tank of fuel.
My family have used uscarhire usrentacar and more recently DFCH for under 25's.

It is important to make the under 25 the main driver to ensure you have no problems (as Andy's website says one of them must be the lead driver).

In our case Alamo gave us a Yucon XL premium as they had no full size SUV at TPA. This had a 30 age minimum on it but the exit barrier attendant overrode it and allowed us to go.

Its similar with AVIS who charge $25 a day as a under 25 surcharge for the lead driver but will not allow anyone under 25 to be added as an additional driver so it is important to put them as lead.

Would recommend DHCF for under 25's and his helpfulness and ability to change price if it becomes cheaper is a bonus.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Do they really need a car for the whole holiday if at all. If staying local Uber is a good option , if they want to go further afield (beach, KSC etc then a one or two day hire for those days and Uber and or hotel shuttles on the other days may make more economic sense.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post

When my boyfriend and I went under 25, we used USRentACar for our car hire, so you can see the cheapest company for hire. I think it was Alamo we used at around £500. I know a lot of money for car hire, but we loved having the freedom to come and go anywhere as we pleased, rather than waiting for cabs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

We have also used uscarhire several times. Great service every time and they use Alamo. You can do online check in and go straight to car.
Gilly120 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sixt used to be the cheapest with their young drivers surcharge capped at $99 however they've changed that now and quite expensive.

I have a young drivers package with Alamo which is prepaid so avoids any charges locally. It includes up to 4 drivers (3 of which can be aged 21 to 24) and also includes a tank of fuel.
We have this package with VH got a good price in the sale so a couple of extra drivers on this trip 😊😊😊
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Hi
As already suggested have a look at Car on the Drive , we had guests with a young driver and they were the best option
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Hi
As already suggested have a look at Car on the Drive , we had guests with a young driver and they were the best option
Rob
And just to show how each individual group can be so different
COD where 590 quids dearer for 2 vehicles than uscarehire with 4 drivers each vehicle 2 under25.
You always need to shop around and look for small print as some declare no fees until you spot local fees charged at desk this includes some well known hirers.
Old 25 May 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Hi
thanks andy and to everyone who has replied
sorry I have not replied but I have been away and not had access to the internet
I will pass all the information on to her all I know at the moment is that she has booked for the 3rd of september for 14 nights.
she has gone for a villa in the disney area allocated on arrival so now she will have to get an idea of taxi costs in comparison to car hire costs
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Just had a quick scan uscarhire.com start at 540 for smallest to 590 for full size inter suv.
This includes 2 young drivers and 1 tank of fuel.
For dates posted.
I didnt search all sites but would guess its competitive as DFCH starting at 580 and Sixit 560.
Know need to look at number of taxi rides / uber rides.
Would guess a good few per day as staying in villa.
Enjoy ypur search and more importantly holidays.
Old 25 May 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have personal experience of this as me and my girlfriend went to Orlando last year and I was 21 at the time. I booked through autoeurope.co.uk (effectively a comparison site for car hire) used Alamo gold as they had young drivers fees, all the Insurance’s ($0 excess) and the tank of fuel all included in the price. Got to the desk at Sanford and took my voucher no issues or anything to pay locally. As long as you’ve held your driving licence for at least 1 year and have a credit card in your name you’re good to go! Booked with them again for June this year

Hope that helps!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List