Notices

Old 13 May 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I think this is good news Lisa. Boardwalk is a fab location, I'd love to stay there to be able to walk to Epcot and HS is great. A shame you were messed around a bit, but I'm glad it's worked out for you.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Your plans sound great!
I've been following the AKL thread and I can't believe the cock up they made of it! But all is well that ends well as they say 😃. The BWI will be a fab place to stay in an ideal location.
We flew AL last year and would actively look to book with them above anyone else. The pre-clearance was amazing, like lovemickey says (we were on the same flight!) it only took 20 mins. The crew on board were the friendliest we've had too, couldn't do enough to help. The plane was also brand spanking new too!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I am THRILLED for you Lisa, I was so excited when I saw your news I was telling everyone at work that 'my friend' got upgraded haha.

Well done for digging you heels in and not paying for the upgrade to Wilderness Lodge when it was first touted (I'd probably have done that).

How are you ever going to go back to driving to the parks again now!?
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I think this is good news Lisa. Boardwalk is a fab location, I'd love to stay there to be able to walk to Epcot and HS is great. A shame you were messed around a bit, but I'm glad it's worked out for you.
Thanks for that. I agree it’s good news. There’s lots I love about AKL but BWI looks fab!

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Your plans sound great!
I've been following the AKL thread and I can't believe the cock up they made of it! But all is well that ends well as they say 😃. The BWI will be a fab place to stay in an ideal location.
We flew AL last year and would actively look to book with them above anyone else. The pre-clearance was amazing, like lovemickey says (we were on the same flight!) it only took 20 mins. The crew on board were the friendliest we've had too, couldn't do enough to help. The plane was also brand spanking new too!
I’m hoping we enjoy Aer Lingus so much we want to fly with them again although I do like Virgin PE.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I am THRILLED for you Lisa, I was so excited when I saw your news I was telling everyone at work that 'my friend' got upgraded haha.

Well done for digging you heels in and not paying for the upgrade to Wilderness Lodge when it was first touted (I'd probably have done that).

How are you ever going to go back to driving to the parks again now!?
Thanks! I knew Disney would come good in the end. I think they were doing the whole “let’s see how many complaints we get first”.

We’ve already paid for the car so are going to stick with it but we’ve already discussed what days we’ll walk to Epcot and DHS! We have considered cancelling the hire car but I do love having a car.

I feel like this is going to be a whole different trip than the AKL would have been. I’d thought of popping in to AK of an evening but now it’ll be Epcot, especially given it’s F&W while we’re there.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
So now that we’re staying at BWI I’ve had a look at our plans. Our theme park plans will more or less stay the same but I imagine we’ll pop into Epcot or DHS of an evening now. Since we’re not on DDP I’ve also had a look at some of the Swan & Dolphin restaurants.

So the plan now is:

Arrival day - we still won’t have the energy for a park even with Epcot so close plus there’s no way I’m doing Epcot on a Saturday night during F&W! We’ll likely pop to the Boardwalk for something quick before turning in.

Day 1 - still planned as DHS as it’s morning EMH. That might change if the daily EMH continues into September but I doubt it. I’ve booked a very early breakfast ADR at Fresh in the Dolphin. A bit like The Wave this is buffet and a la carte. No plans for lunch or dinner as we’ll see how we feel.

Day 2 - still AK planned for EMH. Dinner is booked at Homecomin’ at DS.

Day 3 - MK but no EMH so we have The Wave booked for breakfast. We also chatted about The Plaza which we quite enjoy but don’t normally bother on DDP. I’ve got it booked for lunch but am trying to get it for our other MK day instead. No dinner plans.

Day 4 - DHS again, no EMH and no firm plans for any meals.

Day 5 - Epcot EMH. We expect to be done quickly with Epcot, especially now we can walk there! At some point I want to go to the bakery in France for lobster bisque, crusty baguette and a strawberry tart so maybe this day! Epcot is the park we least care about so this is also the day we’ll do an evening at AK. I’ve booked dinner at Yak & Yeti even though we have the Landry card. I find we work better with ADRs, especially as I want to do the safari at a specific time.

Day 6 - morning EMH at MK. We had planned to do the SW fireworks today but since we’ll be so close to DHS there’s a good chance we’ll have seen them by now.

Day 7 - morning EMH at AK and then not sure. I don’t know if staying at BWI changes anything really.

We haven’t booked any other ADRs and from experience I think we’d probably be ok to get places on the day, especially given how close so many restaurants will be.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'm another shifted to BWI. I'm having to pretend to be a little disappointed as OH had his heart set on AKL but as this trip is Operation Get Him Hooked on Florida I wasn't prepared to risk renovations but the reality is had I had the budget id have booked the YC but didn't want to scare him costwise so BWI is great . (Luckily he just says "Do what you think is best and hands me his card )
I'm thinking a couple of breakfasts at the Norway and France bakeries as well as the Boardwalk Bakery .
Only downside with BWI (apart from the creepy clown) is that not all rooms have balconies .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I'm another shifted to BWI. I'm having to pretend to be a little disappointed as OH had his heart set on AKL but as this trip is Operation Get Him Hooked on Florida I wasn't prepared to risk renovations but the reality is had I had the budget id have booked the YC but didn't want to scare him costwise so BWI is great . (Luckily he just says "Do what you think is best and hands me his card )
I'm thinking a couple of breakfasts at the Norway and France bakeries as well as the Boardwalk Bakery .
Only downside with BWI (apart from the creepy clown) is that not all rooms have balconies .
Really? I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t have a balcony. It’s one of the reasons we booked a deluxe in the first place!

Trip Report Index
Old 12 Jun 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
So browsing the Aer Lingus site and I’m reminded that the Glasgow - Dublin leg is with Stobart Air and therefore the cabin baggage allowance is less than normal. We both have smaller cabin bags that we bought years ago and tend to use for Florida. They’re little trolley bags that are about 2/3 the side of your “normal” cabin bag. I assumed they’d be fine until I measured mine and realised it’s about 3 cm over the depth allowance of 20cm. Normally I wouldn’t bother but I think they’re quite strict on these small aircraft so I started to consider alternatives.

There is the option of just trying to squeeze everything into my hand bag but that’s not ideal on the transatlantic leg when we’ll want snacks.

Then I thought about my old Disney tote bag. It has a magnetic clip and no zip but surely fine if I put my handbag inside it? Of course it is! It’s definitely fine. No need for me to go and buy this in the Kipling sale then?

Too late!

Trip Report Index
Old 14 Jun 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I'm glad you treated yourself to the bag! Always nice to have new things.

Have you looked more into the balcony situation? I didn't realise all the rooms at the BWI didn't have them either.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I'm glad you treated yourself to the bag! Always nice to have new things.

Have you looked more into the balcony situation? I didn't realise all the rooms at the BWI didn't have them either.
The bag arrived today and it’s ideal!

I had a look round the various sites about the BWI balconies and they don’t all have them as it turns out. Looking at the external picture though it looks like Boardwalk view rooms so I’m hoping we’re ok.

Trip Report Index