Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Apr 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Layton79
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Petrified!

Hi I’m visiting Orlando for the first time late May. I’m taking my sister and her two children and I will be the driver for the duration. I’m absolutly petrified! I’m ok with an automatic as I’ve recently started driving one here but the freeways, traffic signals and everything else are making my sick with worry. So any pearls of wisdom for a first timer and is there a website or something I can go on so I can look at traffic lights etc? Sort of practice but not 😂😂
Layton79 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Google Earth?

Dont know if there is actually much else...some one will know ...all the best, you'll be ok.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Pop onto the Dibb Guidebook and look under Travel. There are loads of pages about driving, tolls, rental cars etc. Well worth a read.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:14 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

It's really easy!
Have a look on Youtube at some orlando driving videos to start with maybe?
I was worried for my first time too but all the intersections are virtually identical! and its rare you get a road that's not a dual carriageway!
normally you can turn right at a red traffic light (unless it says otherwise) as long as you come to a complete stop first.
And don't park on the wrong side of the road - you'll get a ticket for that.
but it really is very easy indeed.
my biggest difficulty was figuring out the width of the car, I often straddled a couple of lanes at first but it got much better.
I can't wait to do it again!
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Pop onto the Dibb Gudebook and look under Travel. There are loads of pages about driving, tolls, rental cars etc. Well worth a read.
I was the same as the original poster this time last year. I read the guidebook and it settled me down.

Watching the YouTube videos of people’s dash cams driving from the airport to wdw really helped me as well
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

OP don't be. I've driven in Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and 2,500 miles around the West Coast. If I can do it anyone can! I live in a town that doesn't have a single traffic light and I commute up the motorway and into a business park right off it so all the traffic lights and rules had me worried too before because I rarely encounter them here. But honestly I found it much easier than here and very intuitive once you're there.

The guide here is great and there are also YouTube videos showing Brits how to drive in Orlando and of course Google Maps is great too especially for looking at your trip from the airport.

Edited at 07:11 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

You'll come home preferring to drive in Florida than back here. After a couple of times of turning right on a red light, you'll wonder why we don't do it back here.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

OP
Remember the cars wheel is on the other side too, so you, yourself will be positioned next to the centre of the road( just like you are in the UK).

Trust me, after you have driven a couple hours, your body and mind just clicks to the other side and it all becomes natural. The last thing I got used to was looking at the interior rear view mirror, kept looking at the top corner of the door instead, then next morning I just did looked the correct direction automatically.
As others say you will come back to UK thinking it’s easier to drive in Florida than at home
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
You will love driving there, just take your time getting the car mirrors set up, and where the lights / wiper controls are before you leave the car park
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Layton79
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I knew you would all be so helpful. Thank you. I feel better already. 👍👍
Layton79 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List