Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Apr 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

If you're still worried, I am more than happy to offer my services for you to fly me out, put me up in some luxurious venue and I'll drive you around
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Layton79
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

NorthernDave how very gallant of you...
Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
If you're still worried, I am more than happy to offer my services for you to fly me out, put me up in some luxurious venue and I'll drive you around
Layton79 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The very first time I had to go to the villa on my own I was physically sick most of the flight
As I'd have to drive . I'd never driven in the 10 years we'd been going it's given me the freedom to go on my own and to make both of the 2older boys partners drive on our girly trips and like me they now drive a lot out there in fact DS2 partners Dad was surprised at how confident she really was when they went with them to the villa
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tpm76
Trying for More Ears

As mentioned previous you will end up loving the driving over there compared to here, i always find it a lot more relaxing! After the first 5/10mins you will wonder why you worried so much! Enjoy!
2012 Hilton DoubleTree by Seaworld
2018 Avanti Palms Resort & Conference Centre
tpm76 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 03:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

OP the driving here really is easier. The worst parts of driving in the UK IMO were very narrow roads, dodging parked cars constantly, multi-laned roundabouts and very small parking spaces. None of those really exist here so you should hopefully find it a breeze.
Old 27 Apr 18, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You’ll be fine, my wife was very nervous about the driving but once she had a couple of goes she wanted to drive all the time. 😳
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
You will love driving there, just take your time getting the car mirrors set up, and where the lights / wiper controls are before you leave the car park
Rob
this is the most important advise

if you are unsure about anything ask the car hire folk to show you how stuff works

you dont want to be on the freeway when a storm hits and you cant work the wipers/lights etc etc

one gotcha the car must be in PARK to get the keys out the ignition

a colleague of mine drove from sanford to walmart on the 192 pre villa stock up, couldnt get the keys out so drove all the way back to sanford to kick off with the car hire people, only to be told the car needs to be in park sir
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

I have always avoided driving anywhere other than the UK, until last year when we did a West Coast road trip. My DH was only there for the first part of the trip so I had to drive for 2 weeks around California. It was very strange at first, being on the wrong side of the car and the road, but I soon settled into it and after the first hour I was fine, in fact I drove right across LA which I had almost chickened out of beforehand!
I have since driven to DLP on a last minute trip and was fine! This trip will be my first trip to Florida where I'm driving (just me and DD going) and I haven't given it a second thought!
As other posters have said, give yourself time to figure out where everything is and stay calm, you'll be fine

Edited at 09:06 AM.
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
bpalmf
Helping Mickey

Its really easy driving over there. Helps as everything is the right way round in the car.( if that makes sense) Just take your time and you will be fine. The only thing that took me a few times to get was right was whether i could turn on a red light but you very quickly know when you can and cant.

Have fun and enjoy it
bpalmf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Using Google Maps Street View is a good way to familiarise yourself. You can pre-plan your trips and sort of drive down the roads beforehand. Apologies if this has already been stated.

I've lived and worked stateside and holiday there quite a bit, and some aspects of driving there are still a little awkward even now. Super wide junctions, signage and lights in unfamiliar locations, exit/entry ramps on both sides of a freeway... to name a few. There will be times when you'll feel a little intimidated. Don't worry, it's normal, we all do.

Assuming you follow all the guidance found on this site and elsewhere, the most important aspect is to go at your own pace. Don't feel forced to keep up with others. Forget trying to drive like the locals. If you find yourself driving slowly, don't worry about it. It's a tourist town, it's to be expected.

Get familiar with the car and sat nav before you leave the parking lot. Don't be tempted to leave the parking lot in a hurry. I'm always making that mistake "Oh damn, where's that seat adjustment button?"... as I'm driving down the busy freeway

The biggest issue for tourists is a three fold conflict of interest; the rules of the road, trying to navigate to your destination and sightseeing. The ONLY one you need to concern yourself with is the first, that's the one that matters. If you miss an exit, who cares, let the sat nav redirect you. If you don't see that super interesting attraction off to the left... who cares, you can see it another time... etc.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List