Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 May 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
edavies
Chilling at Carribean Beach

edavies's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Car hire insurance

Can anybody recommend somewhere in uk that does hire car insurance, we have been quoted nearly £1000 for fully comp insurance with virgin and thought it would be cheaper sorting it myself with a different company but I’m not having much luck, and anybody offer any advice thanks
edavies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you hire a car through one of the bona fide sites such as Alamo Brits or through 3rd party providers such as Discount Florida Car Hire or US Rent a car they will include all the insurances that you need.

Don't rent through a US site as they won't include any insurance.

Mick
Old 20 May 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Op are you with VH and booked a flydrivre and looking to upgrade rubbish small car to what you need and cover yourself properly insurance a bit more info re what you have dates etc what you want/need.
Mick has given some good advice first up abit more info and many can jump in with help.
Old 20 May 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Op are you with VH and booked a flydrivre and looking to upgrade rubbish small car to what you need and cover yourself properly insurance a bit more info re what you have dates etc what you want/need.
Mick has given some good advice first up abit more info and many can jump in with help.
Duncan

Thanks for clarifying my poor response as I may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Didn't think that OP may have already booked a holiday/fly drive with Virgin. Assumed maybe that they were just hiring a stand alone car.

Mick
Old 20 May 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
edavies
Chilling at Carribean Beach

edavies's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Yes sorry I have already booked the fly drive holiday and wanted to cover myself properly I.e comprehensive cover instead of the third party insurance I have with them
edavies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by edavies View Post
Yes sorry I have already booked the fly drive holiday and wanted to cover myself properly I.e comprehensive cover instead of the third party insurance I have with them
Dozens of Dibbers over the years have been caught by having totally inadequate insurance included in the so called "free" car and find that hiring separately can often be cheaper and they dump the "free" car.

Get a quote from Andy at discountfloridacarhire/

He's a regular Dibber and very helpful and usually extremely competitive.

Mick
Old 20 May 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As per Mick, dump the VH car and go DIY. I lay odds I could get it under £600 for a car and insurance and probably a lot less.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

I have just booked stand alone international car insurance, as recommended on moneysavingexpert, for around £80, for annual cover. Single use cover can be had for around £40. That way I can keep the free car, but know that I am fully protected. I've gone with a company called Bettersafe. It includes CDW and SLI.
Only thing to be aware of is the car hire company can insist on a large deposit when not taking their CDW level cover. If it's in a credit card some companies 'hold' the money and others withdraw, then put back if not used. So you can possibly lose on exchange. Alamo, I believe, withdraws. We plan on putting it on AMEX.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

You have had 2 great responses from above.
You can sort out own insurance from UK sites such as moneymaxim plus many others.
In this you get the free car and just pay approx 100 quids for insurance and all taxs at airport depending on car size expect approx $100 ish but of course you hit hard sell at desk etc no great problems as long as you are aware of what you have V needs.
The downside you may well have sort out minor small claims yourself and then be reimbursed, major issues insurance company will step in after you make phone calls and annoy them to take over.
I'm an international transport manager deal with this often every week so doing for work would I take it on holiday costing 5 to 10 k to save a hundred or 2 No I value my free time too much however unlikely to happen.
For me ditch free car post dates car you need and I place good money MrTM gives you decent price.
However as always choice is yours.
NB
The free car is smallest so remember in comparison
Upgrade cost to your car.m you want Unknown
Insurance policy expect approx £100.
Taxes US $100+ depending on lenght of rental.
Enjoy whatever route you choose.
Old 20 May 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Dozens of Dibbers over the years have been caught by having totally inadequate insurance included in the so called "free" car and find that hiring separately can often be cheaper and they dump the "free" car.

Get a quote from Andy at discountfloridacarhire/

He's a regular Dibber and very helpful and usually extremely competitive.

Mick
I’m going to second the recommendations for Andy not only has he helped me out tonight with my numerous questions - thanks Andy (and this car hire isn’t even through him) but I have booked my next one with him and he was competitive and just so very helpful