Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jul 16, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nattyk
Imagineer

gutted re my mistake!

found what I thought was a good deal on car hire with America car rental - 7 seater for 16 days from Tampa £540 - booked it then credit charged £640 and then in very small print we saw charged in $$ ! so not such a bargain after all #gutted that will teach me to actually read the small print before ! hubby not impressed

on the bright side only 33 days
2008 (April) - Villa Windsor Hills, 2009 (Dec) - Villa Tuscan Hills, 2012 (Aug) Regal Palms/Marco Island 2013 (Aug) NY & Orlando, 2015 (Aug) AMI & Orlando, 2016 (Aug) Cabana Bay & AMI, 2017 (Dec) Orlando Villa Formosa Gardens
nattyk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I might be being a bit thick here but how would being charged in dollars cost you any more, surely if that's the advertised price that's what you should pay roughly, there may be a slight difference in exchange rate between the website and your card but not £100, I've paid for loads of hotels, trips etc in dollars and the price shown in pounds is always with a few pence, pound max of what my card converts it to, I would query it
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
the hook
Excited about Disney

The sterling value has been converted to dollars. And even at today's rate you have got it cheaper somehow.
Bahama Bay Resort 2016
Rosen Shingle Creek Resort 2020
the hook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I suspect the price of £540 was an indication of the actual dollar price using the rate at that time. When OP booked, the dollar price was the same but the rate had fallen so the £ cost went up.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I suspect the price of £540 was an indication of the actual dollar price using the rate at that time. When OP booked, the dollar price was the same but the rate had fallen so the £ cost went up.
I checked my reservation with Alamo yesterday and they had been a bit naughty with the indicative exchange rate - I worked it out with a calculator and they were using $1.42 .

Was wondering if they wanted to change some £ for $ for me .
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
I checked my reservation with Alamo yesterday and they had been a bit naughty with the indicative exchange rate - I worked it out with a calculator and they were using $1.42 .

Was wondering if they wanted to change some £ for $ for me .
But that means it's cheaper than using today's exchange rate?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
But that means it's cheaper than using today's exchange rate?
Yes, but when you pay you pay in $... the £ figure is for information only so showing an artificially high £/$ rate makes it look like I will be paying less than I actually will.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 16, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

It could be that the company charged their own exchange rates plus a fee for doing it which would explain the increase. A couple of years ago I was asked in a department store if I wanted to pay in pounds and found that they were reluctant to tell me what the exchange rate that they were charging.
Old 15 Jul 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Pay in £ in advance of travel and pay in $ in the $ country. No catches, no fees.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 16, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Yes, but when you pay you pay in $... the £ figure is for information only so showing an artificially high £/$ rate makes it look like I will be paying less than I actually will.
Ah, so you chose to pay on arrival. I always pay in GBP upfront with VA/VH for Alamo rentals so no worries about fates on arrival.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List